The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Moving to Newport, RI

Default Moving to Newport, RI

** Oct 3 2012: Update to my original post from back in December. - My family and I finally made it up north. I realize hunting season is upon us, but me, the dawg and my daughter are looking for some training opportunities. Anyone interested in training or willing to point me in the right direction?
    Are the clubs still training this time of year? I don't bring much to the table other than a good arm, some bumpers, and the pup. Pretty new to the dog training world, but we have been fortunate enough to get a couple senior passes. Thanks in advance. -- Brian

Dec 2011 - I am in the Coast Guard, and just received word that the family and I will be moving to Newport, RI. I am being assigned to a ship. Anyway, curious as to what the HRC/AKC club situation is up there? We will probably live on base in Newport. If not, I'll be looking to live within a 30 minutes or so of the base. We are not moving until June or July, so we are just gathering info on the area at this point. Any information would be greatly appreciated....Places to live, clubs in the area, etc.

Merry Christmas!
    Brian Caudle
    Last edited by Duck Blind; 10-03-2012 at 07:46 PM.
    Brian Caudle
    Marriner's Lady Piper of Coratank "Piper" JH

There are a ton of clubs up this way, that hold AKC HT and FT , HRC hunts and NAHRA filed tests. .. Yankee Waterfowlers (AKC HT, HRC, NAHRA) The rest of the clubs do pretty much AKC HT and FT, Shoreline, Colonial, Yankee Golden,Southern Bershire, Lab club of Boston, Long Island. There are also several clubs within 3-4 hours in NY, Vt., NH, Me.
    Whatever your game of choice there is a club to fit. And Newport is a beautiful place. Good luck with the move, Jim
    The mightiest oak was once a small nut that stood its ground

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Person View Post
    There are a ton of clubs up this way, that hold AKC HT and FT , HRC hunts and NAHRA filed tests. .. Yankee Waterfowlers (AKC HT, HRC, NAHRA) The rest of the clubs do pretty much AKC HT and FT, Shoreline, Colonial, Yankee Golden,Southern Bershire, Lab club of Boston, Long Island. There are also several clubs within 3-4 hours in NY, Vt., NH, Me.
    Whatever your game of choice there is a club to fit. And Newport is a beautiful place. Good luck with the move, Jim
    Don't forget the HRC clubs....Granite State , Saco River, and Gun's Up. 2 tests in June each, plus upland and then another 2 in Septermber, along with Yankee Waterfowlers.

Like Jim said, this is a very active area in the spring, summer and early fall. Depending on your venure, you can be on the "run" pretty much every week-end from April to October! We are!
    If you want to contact me privately, please feel free to do so.

Welcome to New England. Newport and area is just a wonderful place to be and I know you and your family will love it there.
    Diane and Steve Brunelle
    and Golden kids
    Max, Maggie, Houston & (Orion)
    Avatar courtesy of Marsha Wilcox Photography

Jim and Diane,

Thanks for the information. We are looking forward to the move. Hope to run into you folks one day.

Merry Christmas!
    Brian
    Brian Caudle
    Marriner's Lady Piper of Coratank "Piper" JH

It's a beautiful place to live and I think you'll like it. I've belonged to both Shoreline and Yankee Waterfowlers and I think you'll be happy with either one of them-or both! NICE people and plenty of opportunities to train.

Good luck with your move and when you do meet Steve and Diane you'll be glad you did.

M
    "You can put pressure on a dog, you canít take it backÖ"

Mitch Patterson '07

MHR Wadin's Katie Lied CD, SH, WCX (11/25/93-1/27/07 Rest Well Kate)
    Brassfire's Brass in Pocket JH, WCX ** (4 Master passes)
    Brassfire's New England Patriot (New Pup!!!)

Quote Originally Posted by Miriam Wade View Post
    It's a beautiful place to live and I think you'll like it. I've belonged to both Shoreline and Yankee Waterfowlers and I think you'll be happy with either one of them-or both! NICE people and plenty of opportunities to train.

Good luck with your move and when you do meet Steve and Diane you'll be glad you did.

M
    LOL, Miriam, you are too kind!
    Brian, we look forward to meeting you this spring and you might want to be on the lookout for Tim Byars. I think y'all might have the same accent. Tim belongs to both the Yankke Waterfowlers and the Shoreline clubs.Great guy!
    Max, Maggie, Houston & (Orion)
    Avatar courtesy of Marsha Wilcox Photography

Very good. There will be HRC tests in May and early June, in CT, NH and Me.. AKC tests throughout the year all with in a 4 hour drive. August is a big month for AKC in Ct. There will also be a NAHRA test in July in Ct. too. Jim
    The mightiest oak was once a small nut that stood its ground

Quote Originally Posted by Diane Brunelle View Post
    Brian, we look forward to meeting you this spring and you might want to be on the lookout for Tim Byars. I think y'all might have the same accent. Tim belongs to both the Yankke Waterfowlers and the Shoreline clubs.Great guy!
    And an officer in the CG reserves I believe.

Most of the HTs in CT are in the Northeast corner of the state not a far drive for you.

Yankee is having their HRC HT June 2,3 in Woodstock, CT. Hope you can stop by and say "Hi."

Wayne Sumner

You might even meet a Canadian!! EH!!
    Northstar Retrievers

www.Northstar-Retrievers.com

We can always use another member in the PLDC. EH!