The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

Thread: making new bands for winger

Default making new bands for winger

Our club has multiple Tangelo Tosser wingers and we need to reband them. We have the replacement cord already, but I am not sure of the length they need to be cut to.

What length should they be? I know that I could take and measure one of the old ones, but this will only give me the stretched out length, and not the new pre-stretch length.

I know many on here have made these up. Just looking for some advice on this so I do not end up wasting some of the cords......

thanks
    Doug

Quote Originally Posted by Zman1001 View Post
    Our club has multiple Tangelo Tosser wingers and we need to reband them. We have the replacement cord already, but I am not sure of the length they need to be cut to.

What length should they be? I know that I could take and measure one of the old ones, but this will only give me the stretched out length, and not the new pre-stretch length.

I know many on here have made these up. Just looking for some advice on this so I do not end up wasting some of the cords......

thanks
    Doug

Maybe measure them not stretched? Maybe I am missing.
    Last edited by tpaschal30; 10-02-2012 at 10:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by tpaschal30 View Post
    Maybe measure them not stretched? Maybe I am missing.
    Thanks for the reply. What I meant is that they need replaced because they have stretched out. If I measure them now, they will be too long because they have lost their elasticity, thus I will be making bands that are too long.

My question is: what length should they be from ring to ring, as a new band, and not a use stretched out (worn out) band.

I hope this helps.

Trial and error on the first one? Cut it the same length as the stretched out one and then shorten in small increments.

Start with the length of the old ones and use zip ties to secure the ends as you try progressively shorter lengths. Use a decent sized duck to test the throw. Once you get the right length you can cut off the excess, measure, and cut the others. Write down the length somewhere for future reference ; ). Where did you get the bulk bungee material? Our wingers need new ones also.

Quote Originally Posted by Sabireley View Post
    Start with the length of the old ones and use zip ties to secure the ends as you try progressively shorter lengths. Use a decent sized duck to test the throw. Once you get the right length you can cut off the excess, measure, and cut the others. Write down the length somewhere for future reference ; ). Where did you get the bulk bungee material? Our wingers need new ones also.

Thanks everyone for giving me an idea. I was just trying to shortcut the process, but I have been given two very good ideas so that I do not have to cut, try, undo tie, cut, etc.

Steve, I am not exactly sure where we got the cord, as it has been in our trailer for two years. We are having a meeting tonight, so I am going to get ahold of it so I can start this process. I will see if there is a company name, or anything else in the box. However, I did find a website also that has this type of stuff. I have ordered a sample so I can check it against what we got. I will let you know what I find out.

Doug

is calling the manufacturer an option? Would think they would give the measurement.
    APR HR Big Air Buster
    APR HR Crown's Pistol Pete
    Crown's King Gordon
    HR Tiger Mtn's Bodacious Blond
    CPR SHR Lone Tree's Who Wrote the Book?
    CPR SHR Lone Tree's Kimblederry Rose

Quote Originally Posted by Rhenee Fadling View Post
    is calling the manufacturer an option? Would think they would give the measurement.
    If only anyone could get ahold of the manufacturer. From what I understand, he opened back up again in 2011, however, I know a few from our club has tried to contact him and order stuff for over a year, without success, thus it goes to someone trying to do it themselves, and shortcut the process by asking on public forum, rather than wasting to much time trying to get that first one to the correct size.....

Bummer. We just replaced the rubber on winger zingers, it's not exact science for sure when you go the trial and error route. We went a little short on our measurement to the old bands, they were pretty "zingy" for the first few sessions but have since relaxed some and are about perfect w/ ducks or dokkens. I am not familiar with the tangelo tossers or the material used for the bands.
    APR HR Big Air Buster
    APR HR Crown's Pistol Pete
    Crown's King Gordon
    HR Tiger Mtn's Bodacious Blond
    CPR SHR Lone Tree's Who Wrote the Book?
    CPR SHR Lone Tree's Kimblederry Rose

I have very lightly used tangelo tosser that was probably one of the last ones shipped before the company dropped out. On my unit the bands should be tight (not stretched) when the pouch is hooked into the release and before the bands are stretched to the leg hooks. Hog ring in the loop one one end go through the pouch and pull nice and tight - cut and hog ring in the second ring repeat on second band. My old club re-did theirs few years ago - ideally the bungee material should be stretched by one person while the other clamps on the hog rings. Good luck