The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Google Earth view of some training water we get to use on occasion

Quote Originally Posted by mitty View Post
    Google Earth tells you dimensions? Or did you have to measure?

I remember driving from Chicago to SLC a few years ago, totally envious of all the pretty farmland and ponds as I made my way to I80. At least I had that to remember as I drove across Nebraska.
    It's a function on Google Earth. You can select the measurement tool, select your units, then draw the line. It will tell you the measurement. I've never used a rangefinder out there to measure that specific distance, but I'd say it's close to accurate.
    "Determining and applying the criteria for when and when not to use correction is the essence of the art of dog training. I make a distinction between a mistake and a lack of effort." - Mike Lardy - Volume I "After Collar Conditioning"

I see it. How large is the pond in acres? Guess-timate?
    Last edited by JimmyD; 10-03-2012 at 09:36 AM.

this is the first thing that pooped into my mind
    NAHRA Field test, senior. your driving your truck down the road and see ducks. you stop and get out of truck. that is your story of how you got the handler to the pink running line. Ducks go down 1, 2, 3. Live shot bird is #3 out into the "cut corn??" You pick up the birds. Then you get back in yout truck and drive away = handler walks down the road. then from in back your brothers, third wifes oldest son from her first husband, who got out of the truck with you drops one more bird. That is the shot que. So you and Rover run a blind retrieve cross running lines and near the live bird fall area. Wind is a wee little breeze blowing from fall #1 to fall #3

"So what is big is not always the Trout nor the Deer but the chance, the being there. And what is full is not necessarily the creel nor the freezer, but the memory." ~ Aldo Leopold

"The Greatest Obstacle to Discovery is not Ignorance -- It is the Illusion of Knowledge" ~ Daniel Boorstin

also gun #2 retired, gun number one, the biggest worker you have out in the open sitting in the road. He is that dork who set up next to you every time you hunt public land.
    "So what is big is not always the Trout nor the Deer but the chance, the being there. And what is full is not necessarily the creel nor the freezer, but the memory." ~ Aldo Leopold

"The Greatest Obstacle to Discovery is not Ignorance -- It is the Illusion of Knowledge" ~ Daniel Boorstin

Senior Member Lucky Number Seven's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Atkinson View Post
    It's a function on Google Earth. You can select the measurement tool, select your units, then draw the line. It will tell you the measurement. I've never used a rangefinder out there to measure that specific distance, but I'd say it's close to accurate.
    It is also on Google Maps...no need to download Google Earth. Just click the ruler where I have the red circle and measure.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucky Number Seven View Post
    It is also on Google Maps...no need to download Google Earth. Just click the ruler where I have the red circle and measure.

And they thought my picture had some long swims!
    "Determining and applying the criteria for when and when not to use correction is the essence of the art of dog training. I make a distinction between a mistake and a lack of effort." - Mike Lardy - Volume I "After Collar Conditioning"

Chris,
    What a nice place to train dogs. I've put some stuff together that I'd like to do there. I'm assuming the dogs go out of site a some point(s) but with that said here ya go. The blind slide is a little busy but hopefully you'll get the gist. When can we go, I'll bring the beer.

An armed man is a citizen
    An unarmed man is a subject

John,

Rene trained with me there a couple weeks ago. We ran some of the exact marks and blinds that you have diagrammed! Guinness and Bus had plenty to contend with there.

If you're ever in the flatlands, we can try to head out there. (I get permission EVERY time I go....that's just how we do it with this landowner - more my call than his.)

Quote Originally Posted by kjrice View Post
    Chris .... I can see your cousin AK there in the hammock!
    www.dakotacreekretrievers.com

Online store - http://store.dakotacreekretrievers.com
    Find us on facebook!

GMHR-III Dakota Creek's Royal Navigator MH (AKC & CKC)
    MHR Pine Acre's Dakota Sand Creek SH WCI
    Dakota Creek's Royal Gem
    Dakota Creek's Long Shot
    Dakota Creek's Wreaking Havoc

Great minds think alike (ha ha)
    An armed man is a citizen
    An unarmed man is a subject