RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

Google Earth view of some training water we get to use on occasion

9K views 35 replies 17 participants last post by  Kenneth Niles Bora 
#1 ·
This is a Google Earth shot of a friend's property that was originally developed for Field Trial training. He's currently out of the sport, but he allows a few of us the privelege of using his place on occasion.

As I look at this overhead view, I see that the lack of detail around hillside grading, cover height, etc can hinder your ability to truly design a good setup. You don't really know what the dog will see, and how it is likely to affect the dog, until you see it from his level.

If any of you want to take a crack at what you'd do here, feel free to use your paint program and mark it up. I'd be interested to see.

Thanks, Chris

See less See more
#3 ·
red x for me too.

#8 ·
.... ? ....

#12 ·
Yes it is.

#17 ·
Funny you should mention that. I have 2 pitbulls that get to swim in this water when we train there. Our third one - get this - had TPLO surgery on Friday! (Thank goodness it was not my beloved Bus-turd. He's running an AM on Saturday. We don't get to run that many trials, and we're very psyched to run this weekend)

Chris

#18 ·
holy guacamole that's a long swim!! I could send my boy, go out for lunch, come back, and he'd probably not be quite back with the bird yet ;)

#29 ·
Chris .... I can see your cousin AK there in the hammock!

#21 ·
Google Earth tells you dimensions? Or did you have to measure?

I remember driving from Chicago to SLC a few years ago, totally envious of all the pretty farmland and ponds as I made my way to I80. At least I had that to remember as I drove across Nebraska.
It's a function on Google Earth. You can select the measurement tool, select your units, then draw the line. It will tell you the measurement. I've never used a rangefinder out there to measure that specific distance, but I'd say it's close to accurate.

#23 ·
this is the first thing that pooped into my mind
NAHRA Field test, senior. your driving your truck down the road and see ducks. you stop and get out of truck. that is your story of how you got the handler to the pink running line. Ducks go down 1, 2, 3. Live shot bird is #3 out into the "cut corn??" You pick up the birds. Then you get back in yout truck and drive away = handler walks down the road. then from in back your brothers, third wifes oldest son from her first husband, who got out of the truck with you drops one more bird. That is the shot que. So you and Rover run a blind retrieve cross running lines and near the live bird fall area. Wind is a wee little breeze blowing from fall #1 to fall #3

#27 ·
Chris,
What a nice place to train dogs. I've put some stuff together that I'd like to do there. I'm assuming the dogs go out of site a some point(s) but with that said here ya go. The blind slide is a little busy but hopefully you'll get the gist. When can we go, I'll bring the beer.

#28 ·
John,

Rene trained with me there a couple weeks ago. We ran some of the exact marks and blinds that you have diagrammed! Guinness and Bus had plenty to contend with there.

If you're ever in the flatlands, we can try to head out there. (I get permission EVERY time I go....that's just how we do it with this landowner - more my call than his.)

#35 ·
Here's a triple:

First bird down is the long one on the right, which looks like it would land on a hill, retired. Wind would influence the dog to the left, perhaps into the flyer, which would go down second. Go bird is thrown inward, of course, the thrower would need to stand in view of the dog (not behind the tree).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.