The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Reliable Starter pistol

I was looking for a new gun recently and wanted either an Alpha or a GunX. Did some research and found that the GunX is made in US and Alpha isn't. That sold me on the GunX plus a lifetime warranty. You're gonna pay for both but the GunX is worth it.

BHB
    Ahhhh, the smell of a bay dog... nothin finer!

One who lives this life without plans for eternity may appear to be wise for the moment but a fool forever.

Our lives are not made by the dreams we dream but by the choices we make.

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the American
    Government take care of him; better take a closer look at the American
    Indian." Henry Ford

I've had two Alphas. Both died of some kind of cylinder jaming issue after about a brick/brick and a half of primers through them.

Anyone know if they can be worked on? Where?
    Howard Niemi

You really gotta be careful about how high a pedestal you put your method, your accomplishments, your dog on. There's usually someone who's done more, somewhere. And they may have used a different method than you did! Chris Atkinson 2013

get your dog out and TRAIN! caryalsobrook 2013

I bought a used ALFA that was an apparent fake not made by the original company because the patent info was stolen... But I completely tore it down and rebuilt it and it has been flawless.

For I think $50 you can send it to their warranty company and they rebuild them and send em back. They even service the fake ones but won't honor the ALFA warranty. I have found so far the Remington primers are very sooty. Got CCI to try out now.

Authorized Alfa Gun Repair agent for all warranty and non-warranty repairs:
    Pitchford Custom Gunworks
    28703 Margerstadt Rd
    Waller, TX
    77484-9551
    936-372-9017
    pcgguns@wildblue.net

Thanks a lot on the Alpha repair info. I called them up and I'll send it in. Right now it's only good as a decoy anchor.
    Howard Niemi

You really gotta be careful about how high a pedestal you put your method, your accomplishments, your dog on. There's usually someone who's done more, somewhere. And they may have used a different method than you did! Chris Atkinson 2013

get your dog out and TRAIN! caryalsobrook 2013

Quote Originally Posted by winSX3tom View Post
    I bought a used ALFA that was an apparent fake not made by the original company because the patent info was stolen... But I completely tore it down and rebuilt it and it has been flawless.

For I think $50 you can send it to their warranty company and they rebuild them and send em back. They even service the fake ones but won't honor the ALFA warranty. I have found so far the Remington primers are very sooty. Got CCI to try out now.
    There are some cleaner burning primers now, made for in-line muzzleloaders. Remington makes one and I believe there is another company making them also. Look in the muzzle loader section.
    Mike

Banned

Alpha repair is done by Pitchford Custom Gunworks, 28703 Margerstadt Rd, Waller, TX 77484, 936-372-9017, they are the repair shop for the importer TBI. The Alphas are much touchier for dirt and dirty primers than the Gun X pistols. Our only problems with Gun X have occured at about 6000 rounds and the plate between the hammer and fireing pin will break and GunX turnes them around in a week. We have three GunX and the Alphas are used only for back up.

Quote Originally Posted by Kelly Greenwood View Post

Also even though it says not to use the Winchester primers in the GunX that has been all I have used ( only about 2,000 so far)
    I had all kinds of problems with the Winchesters. The pin would penetrate the primer or dent it enough that the cylinder would not rotate and it was nearly impossible to open and get them out. No problems with the CCI

I have both a GunX and an Alpha. The Alpha has been repaired twice once by my husband and then by a gunsmith. Gunsmith told me they were cheaply made and wasn't sure it was worth fixing. I use it for a back up now. No problem with the GunX. We use CCI or Federal primers.

Just get the GunX. You won't be sorry.
    Renee P