The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Update - Dog has been diagnosed with Lymphoma!

He will let you know when it is time. Until then, enjoy every minute you have together - you both deserve that.
    Andy

"You can't win until you are not afraid to lose."

Luckydux Cheese And Quackers CD MH - Briezy (7/20/99-4/4/14)
    FTCH AFTCH Luckydux Drakehaven Hot Ticket*** - Ticket
    Luckydux Gave Her Momma Forty Quacks*** - Lizzie
    Luckydux Quacker Jaxx WC JH - Jaxxy
    Luckydux Graham Quacker WC JH -Graham
    Luckydux Penny In A Parking Lot - Penny

Awful news. Had a dog diagnosed with lymphoma years ago so I can empathize. He did not do well on the chemo so the decision to put him down was basically made for us.

Several years ago, a wonderful vet at Texas A&M gave me some very useful advice when facing a dog's grim prognosis, "Think about the three things that your dog loves to do more than anything(in our case, hunt, eat, and play with his tennis ball). When he can't do at least two of them, it's time to say good-bye." Over the years, I have found this advice to be very helpful.

Best regards.
    "Appears to have been a glitch or two." Sheriff Ed Tom Bell

Good luck with your decisions.

I'm a fighter, and an optimist, so I would fight. For better or for worse, I would fight...
    HRCH UR01 CH UNJ WHISKEY CREEK'S DUKE CHASCERI MH
    Cherokee Foothills HRC

I am sorry to hear the diagnosis....( Make the decision when he starts to show you.....
    BB
    Sight To Sea Labradors
    Southern Cross at Sight to Sea SH "Crosby" (by NAFC FC AFC Cody Cut a Lean Grade)
    Tealwood's Willing at Sight to Sea JH ( by CH I am Able)
    Briarglen's Running on Faith JH (by FC Fish River's Out of the Park)
    Glendair's Come Home to the Sea ( By Ch Topform's Edward MH, QAA)
    Sight To Sea's Take Aim SH (by Sight to Sea's Southern Comfort SH )Aug 23 2003-Feb 2013 Go get em , Man!

Manager of www.DeCoverlykennels.com

It is heartbreaking to hear this. I went through it 8 years ago with my then 9 year old male. Not lymphoma, but another cancer. Not anorexia, but a "cyst" above the eye, was the initial complaint. We watched that "cyst" for a whole year, the vet said it was nothing. Then it morphed into a full blown tumor. The tumor was removed, but within 3 weeks was growing back and this time all of his lymph nodes were hugely swollen and he was diagnosed with a type of mast cell cancer. The prognosis was about the same as yours, put him down next week or try the prednisone. He lived another month on the pred. We bought him deli chicken each day and fed him by hand one bite at a time. Its all he would eat. His breathing was terrible at night. As long as he woke up each morning looking at us and wanted petting, we held off. One day he actually asked to go for a walk. We went a short way down the trail beside the house, he stopped and looked down the trail towards the river and the sunset. Then he turned and walked slowly back to the house. The next morning he would not get up and pain was in his eyes. The vet came by that day and he passed in Ralph's lap. Your dog, will absolutely tell you when it's time. It does not make it any easier. Just hang on to the joyful times and lots of pictures. Peace to you.
    Carol,
    Owned and handled by Cruisin' with Indiana Jones, JH
    Alternate Handler: Westwind Buffalo Soldier
    Apprentice Handler: Snake River Medicine Man, JH
    http://newhoperetrievers.com

Your story is similar to our story except there were no symptoms until a sudden loss of appetite and lethargy. We took him right into our vet who did an ultrasound. She sent us immediately to a vet oncologist in Reno. He performed bloodwork, an ultrasound (we watched the ultrasound), then did a biopsy. We had the results in 20 minutes. Lymphoma. Chemo was no option. Prednisone will help initially, but the not eating and dramatic rapid weight loss will continue. Our boy died on the 13th day after the diagnosis. He was a 7 year old Golden Retriever. That was 2 years ago.

I'm very sorry to hear this. A friend of mine had a similar diagnosis on his 5 year old Police K-9 "RAJA". The Police Department would not pay for any treatment and wanted to put the dog down. The department immediately retired the dog and he was adopted by my friend. He brought him to The Ohio State University to start 6 weeks of chemo and radiation treatment. He put him down due to complications from the treatments after only 2 weeks. "RAJA" had drastic weight loss, no appetite, and weakness. After that experience, until there is an absolute cure, I couldn't bear to put my dog through it and see my companion suffer. I wish you all the best in this very tough situation.

Nobody can help you make the decision-in the end you will know when it is time ,for he will tell you. If he is feeling well enough to enjoy life and his "light is still on", then for me, it would not be the time. I've had to put several down as many of us have. mine, whether, aged, or infirmed, all told me when it was time....
    I'm sorry- how sad for you and the dog. Do as many happy things for him that he enjoys until the time is up.....
    HOME OF:
    Waterspook Sables Dark Secret, MH (Sable)
    Trumarcs Bankshot Bandit, MH ( Fats)
    Waterspook Tomfoolery, SH ( Tommie)
    IN MEMORY OF::
    Waterspook Bankshot Whiz Bang,JH (Jesse)
    Waterspooks Girl Named Bill, SH ( Billie- my princess.....)
    Waterspook Kickin' Gunshot, SH ( Boom)
    Waterspook Kickin' Good Time MH(Kick)
    Waterspooks Partner In Crime, SH ( Bouncer)
    Brush Creek Waterspook, JH, WC- my first girl.(Spooky)

Unless he's in pain Id say take him hunting.

Quote Originally Posted by Billie View Post
    Nobody can help you make the decision-in the end you will know when it is time ,for he will tell you.
    Several years ago, a wonderful vet at Texas A&M gave me some very useful advice when facing a dog's grim prognosis, "Think about the three things that your dog loves to do more than anything(in our case, hunt, eat, and play with his tennis ball). When he can't do at least two of them, it's time to say good-bye." Over the years, I have found this advice to be very helpful.
    Great advice. I think they always tell us. We may miss the message, but they always tell us. I'm sorry about the diagnosis. And don't beat yourself up. You agonized over the health issues with this dog for a year..... and did the best you could. The pieces to the puzzle just weren't coming together, and it wouldn't have changed the outcome.
    Susan

FC Tribute to Justice, JH "Honor"
    FC AFC Contempt of Court "Ruckus"
    Medal Of Honor, QAA "Valor"
    HRCH Kirby's High Sierra, SH, QAA "Kirby"
    HRCH Niki Snowbird, SH, QAA "Niki"
    Southland Order In the Court, QAA "Gavel" July 17, 2002- March 24, 2013
    Southland Rusty Nail - derby points, qual placements "Rusty"
    www.justiceretrievers.com