The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

Thread: Recommendations for Dog Vest for upland hunting............

Default Recommendations for Dog Vest for upland hunting............

I am just looking for some input on what types of vests that offer stomach protection and are lightweight, for upland hunting. I have tried the more expensive vests with buckles which stay put, but they are stiff, heavy and chafe. Some of the less expensive vests don't chafe, but tend to get ripped off in the brush.

Any suggestions would be appreciated............

AllieCat
    In every walk with Nature one receives far more than he seeks.

I use Cabela's Ripstop Chest Protector. It provides good protection to the dog, and I really like the visability that the vest provides when hunting in cover.

I lined the leg openings with moleskin after noticing that it did chafe one of my labs. The moleskin did the trick.
    Sonia Liedman

Handled by:
    Rocky's Red Hot Shot "Chip" MH QAA
    Babyduck's Blueberry Power "Blue"

Trained by:
    Piva's Gem Rocky "Rocky" MH QAA - RIP
    Swede Grove's Rough Rider "Teddy" JH - RIP

I actually do not like them as they tend to be warm. My male is a real hard charger so even in cool weather I have to be aware of potetial overheating issues. My female is different - she has a lighter coat and after a couple of litters has a little teat sag going on so she wears a light weight orange vest from Lion Country. Note you do have to watch where the vest fits under the front shoulder as they will wear this spot raw after a couple days of hunting.

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by RockyDog View Post
    I use Cabela's Ripstop Chest Protector. It provides good protection to the dog, and I really like the visability that the vest provides when hunting in cover.

I lined the leg openings with moleskin after noticing that it did chafe one of my labs. The moleskin did the trick.
    I do have that vest which is the one that chafed so bad. I will add the moleskin as that sound like a solution. I will also check out the Lion Country vest which is lighter. The Cabelas vest is rugged, but I agree about the concerns of overheating. It depends alot of weather conditions. Probably having both on hand is the best idea. Thank you both for your input.
    In every walk with Nature one receives far more than he seeks.

http://www.sylmardogwear.com/outdoors.htm#bg

Ive used one of these for years without a hitch
    Goldens Rule !!!