The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Last Night's Debate.......

Quote Originally Posted by Blackstone View Post
    I am not an economist either, but I don't know any savvy business people that passed on opportunities to make money for the past 4 years because they were afraid to make an investment. They just made calculated investments. Many businesses have managed to do well over the last 4 years, if they were well run.

In my opinion, the economy will be the biggest factor in determining whether businesses will be successful. Republicans may be viewed as pro-business, but they were also at the helm when the economy began to crash.
    Blackstone, you are a good team player... but I'm not buying what you are selling. (of course you knew that already)It's just the same old Dem talking points. Although you do a much better job presenting them than menmon.
    Bill Davis

I am not an economist either, but I don't know any savvy business people that passed on opportunities to make money for the past 4 years because they were afraid to make an investment. They just made calculated investments. Many businesses have managed to do well over the last 4 years, if they were well run.

In my opinion, the economy will be the biggest factor in determining whether businesses will be successful. Republicans may be viewed as pro-business, but they were also at the helm when the economy began to crash.
    I don't either. But, I do know several (yes, several) local businesses here who are very hesitant to hire. In fact, they are running with basically skeleton crews. Why? Uncertainty. Real or perceived.... the bottom line is Uncertainty. What is Obamacare going to cost? How will we handle our increasing portion of the payroll taxes? These are questions I hear asked all the time. And, since they do not have the answer, they are not hiring.
    "I'm gonna lean up against you, and you lean up against me. That way we don't hafta sleep with our heads in the mud"
    Forrest Gump, 1994

Obama looks much more comfortable today...

100412_DAMAGECONTROL_20121004_141403.jpg
    Bill Davis

Banned

It was pretty clear last night anyway. Romney handed him his arse. He had points laid out very well and stayed on topic. He was not trying to stumble around to find an answer. Obama was lost and did lose last night.

Quote Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
    This is where Obama really let him off the hook. Romney said he won't cut taxes for the rich. He said he won't raise taxes on the struggling middle class. But he kept mentioning "broadening the tax base." This is where Obama could have hit him hard. He could have stated that these are code words for increasing taxes on that 47% he talked about behind closed doors.
    If more people get jobs, and begin paying taxes, doesnt that in itself "broaden the base" ?
    "I'm gonna lean up against you, and you lean up against me. That way we don't hafta sleep with our heads in the mud"
    Forrest Gump, 1994

People working thats a great idea wonder why Obama didnt think of that! Under this President jobs is a dirty 4 letter word unless your biden than its a 3 letter word.
    Last edited by gmhr1; 10-04-2012 at 06:40 PM.
    GMHR Riparian Bearly Behavin MH QAA (FC AFC Rebel with A Cause X AFC Bams Liberty Belle MH )
    GMHR Gadwalls Nightmare (MHR Tanglewood Iron Dago x Wind River Poppin Pepper)
    MHR Highlands Bearcat (FC AFC Suncrest Bear X GMHR Gadwalls Nightmare)
    Croppers Gold Dust (NAFC FC M D's Cotton Pick' N Cropper X Hunka Papas Chardonnay JH )

I heard that, but I would like to know what the "X" is. How much for individuals, and how much for couples? I know he through out $25K and $50k as examples, but I think his original number before the debate was significantly lower. I guess I just don't trust the Gov. to set the limits in my favor if they start off arbitrary and vague.
    Blackstone, since he emphasized that certain details, of necessity, need to include the legislature, he can outline principles, but not necessarily dictate the amounts or what deductions will be allowed to go in the bucket.

The POTUS has not outlined any tax reform at all ... except for temporarily keeping the Bush tax cuts on all but those earning over $200K. He overlooks the point made by many that many small business owners would fall into the category of $200-$300K, and their income may be on paper after the actual $ has gone back into the business.

What details did we have on Obamacare in campaign 2008? I'd say almost none.

Saw an interesting one-on-one video with one of Romney's economic advisors and Clinton's former Labor Secty. The latter kept saying that Romney hasn't given specifics. The former explained that there were many ways to skin the cat, and it would be a result of bi-partisan effort which way to do so.

Everybody wants specifics from Romney ... nobody ever asked Obama for specifics. Then, when he took office he said it was so much worse than he imagined. Why? He had a bunch of advisors who knew the financial systems first-hand. They should have known. Geithner should have known.

Even now they're not asking for specifics. When talking education, Romney offered school choice and having $ follow the child. Obama did not even respond to that ... O's comments on education were to hire 100,000 teachers and other general "pablum".

In 2008, Obama never explained how he would cut the deficit in half & get unemployment down, yet everyone just "bought it". The same thing is happening now ... he has offered no new approach to what he's done for 4 years past. Business needs something permanent in place to make their 5- and 10-year plans. They can't plan based on temporary goodies.

You were seeing things fall apart in 2004 ... here, the housing boom was just beginning in 2003. It started going south a bit in by the end of 2006. By 2008 it was in free fall. So, different parts of the country seemed to have different timetables.
    G.Clinchy@gmail.com
    "Know in your heart that all things are possible. We couldn't conceive of a miracle if none ever happened." -Libby Fudim

​I don't use the PM feature, so just email me direct at the address shown above.

Quote Originally Posted by kjrice View Post
    The tax rate might be lower but with closing deductions and loopholes the return will be less, but to keep the base lower is better to stimulate business. There is no way to generate enough money to effectively pay down the debt through cutting spending alone without being so drastic it will put the economy in a tailspin. The "tax the rich" stuff gets old. That is simply a cozy way to get rates up and then hit the rest because that in itself is not enough "revenue enhancement". Here is some insider stuff that is Obama's gift to the middle class starting January 2013:

Hidden in bills as riders to the American public:

- Home sales fee 3.8%
    - Non-eco car sales fee 1.2%
    - EPA fee on homes that do not meet the Dems standards BEFORE sale (windows, roofing, hvac, washer/dryer, water heater, water/elec fixtures)
    - Private school fee
    - Agriculture fees on rancher and farmer (passed to consumer markets)
    - Service fees for repair shops, barber shops, ammo, guns, conventions, waste, etc...

The next wave of legislation:
    - Fees on 401k, benefits, selling stock, social security, inheritance tax is an additional $5K per $100K.
    - ID not needed to vote
    - Expand role of President (unlimited - do away with pledge, reduce military, disband USMC, expanded executive powers to override congress and no more budgets.)

Since it is not sinking in, I will post again.
    A lot of people are afraid of heights. Not me, I'm afraid of widths.

What does hiring 100,000 more teachers in math and science solve? Will it mean the horrible schools will be better? Right now we have 50% of our college graduates unable to find jobs.

Quote Originally Posted by helencalif View Post
    What does hiring 100,000 more teachers in math and science solve? Will it mean the horrible schools will be better? Right now we have 50% of our college graduates unable to find jobs.
    Since 1970 the number of staff members serving an 8.5% increase in student population has doubled - we can see the results.

The difference between RMoney & the Kenyan is RMoney is capable of seeing something is not working & attempting to do something about it - the Kenyan is only capable of pandering .

Marvin S

Everyone's friend is No One's friend

Someday your life will flash before your eyes. It's your responsibility to make sure it's worth watching!