The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Possible foxtail inhaled!

Default Possible foxtail inhaled!

I think my dog may have inhaled some foxtail seeds. Unfortunately I cant get him into the vet until 5pm. However the girl at the desk said a round of anti inflammitorys(sp?) usually does the trick. Or if I want they can go straight to a scope to look for it but they didnt think it was necessary.

Any of you folks have any experience with foxtail? What do you recommend?

Im thinking to go straight to scope and see if they can find the seed and pull it out before it migrates somewhere and causes more trouble.

The girl at the desk is she a blonde

I take the dogs in every time they run over the stuff and have a sneeze that doesn't entirely cease. So far foxtail,cheat,or squirrel have been removed each time..
    They have to put the dog under a little . I am very fortunate ,my vet is so reasonable I no longer dread the amount of trips needed through out the season.

Get it checked

I had a dog inhale a foxtail spear at a trial when he picked up the go bird. He started violently sneezing to the point where he couldn't finish picking up the rest of the birds.

I was walking him off line and another trialer told me to pour Pepsi (any kind of soft drink that has carbonation) into his nostrils.

I held his nose upright and another person administered the Pepsi. We did this two or three times and each time he snorted a bunch of material out.

I took him immmediately to the vet who scoped him and nothing remained lodged in his sinuses.

The theory with the carbonated soft drink is that it somehow binds the barbs on the foxtail back onto the shaft so that the dog can expel it through sneezing etc.

I was told that for this treatment to be effective you needed to do it immediately after the dog inhaled the object before it went too far into the sinus cavity.

Maybe some of the Veterinarians on the site will add light to this.

Good luck with the dog................I'd get him scoped right now.
    If I/we/you can't continue to advance our methods that focus on making training easier to learn/less painful for the dogs, we have no right to be training them. (Alec Sparks)

FTCH AFTCH NOREMAC'S UNDERTAKER (DIGGER) QFTR JFTR
    -2012 Canadian National Amateur Retriever Championship Finalist
    -2011 Canadian High Point Qualifying Retreiver

BARFLY'S DEADLY AIM (SNIPER) QFTR JFTR
    -2012 Canadian High Point Qualifying Retriever
    -2011 Canadian High Point Junior (Derby) Champion

I know it sounds gross, but we always have a small can of pepsi in the car and if we think a dog has inhaled a foxtail, we put the Pepsi in our mouths and blow it down the nostrils. Generally, Florence has been around and does the honors

Quote Originally Posted by Russ View Post
    I know it sounds gross, but we always have a small can of pepsi in the car and if we think a dog has inhaled a foxtail, we put the Pepsi in our mouths and blow it down the nostrils. Generally, Florence has been around and does the honors
    The Pepsi Challenge?
    A lot of people are afraid of heights. Not me, I'm afraid of widths.

Quote Originally Posted by Russ View Post
    Had to do this up at Jayhawk this year. I don't see how you could get the coke in there without a mouth to snout injection.
    Last edited by savage25xtreme; 10-09-2012 at 10:18 AM. Reason: missed an important word...
    Gavin B.

Absolutely have them scope. You want that thing out of your dog. Our dog inhaled a seed of some kind upland hunting. By the time we got him to the vet (maybe 10 hours? we were far out into the bush) it was already so far into him they could not get it out, even with a flush of his lungs. It worked it's way out at the end of his ribs and he had a huge abscess. Fortunately he survived. Friends' dogs have not been so lucky. Nothing to fool around with!
    Marlana Smith
    APR SHR TDK's Dusty Gunslinger JH - "Churchill"
    CPR Max's Black Diamond Girl Scout JH - "Scout"

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

The anti inflammatories are a good idea. I had a tracking dog that got a bunch of stuff up her nose. She started sneezing repetitively. But, by the time we got to the vet, it was swollen to the point we couldn't get a scope down her nose, or into the cavity from any direction. We had to medicate to get the swelling down. Then, she had another round of sneezing, and sneezed a barbed grass thing onto my bed.... sneezing stopped. No more issues.
    Susan

FC Tribute to Justice, JH "Honor"
    FC AFC Contempt of Court "Ruckus"
    Medal Of Honor, QAA "Valor"
    HRCH Kirby's High Sierra, SH, QAA "Kirby"
    HRCH Niki Snowbird, SH, QAA "Niki"
    Southland Order In the Court, QAA "Gavel" July 17, 2002- March 24, 2013
    Southland Rusty Nail - derby points, qual placements "Rusty"
    www.justiceretrievers.com

typically the dog goes into a sneezing fit that will last quite a while .... not just 5 or 10 minutes, after the coke or pepsi they will continue to sneeze for 5-10 minutes then taper to a stop. Taking the dog to a vet right away can give them time to scope and retrieve, waiting till 5pm may then require surgery, the nasal passages of dogs are very very convoluted which is what gives the dog the surface area for all those scent receptors. It may be too late to scope it at 5pm Foxtails can move very quickly in the respritory tract or it may imbed itself in the nasal cavity and you may get lucky.
    Dogs Dog, Handlers Handle, Judges Judge

HRCH Greenwoods Sealion Tsunami MH QAA

Have not heard of the pepsi idea. Would think that shooting fluid in there could be inhaled into the lungs-. I have baby oil in the trucks . A few drops f that in the nostril lubes it up and softens the FT. I"ve run this by a vet and he concurred it to be a good idea.
    HOME OF:
    Waterspook Sables Dark Secret, MH (Sable)
    Trumarcs Bankshot Bandit, MH ( Fats)
    Waterspook Tomfoolery, SH ( Tommie)
    IN MEMORY OF::
    Waterspook Bankshot Whiz Bang,JH (Jesse)
    Waterspooks Girl Named Bill, SH ( Billie- my princess.....)
    Waterspook Kickin' Gunshot, SH ( Boom)
    Waterspook Kickin' Good Time MH(Kick)
    Waterspooks Partner In Crime, SH ( Bouncer)
    Brush Creek Waterspook, JH, WC- my first girl.(Spooky)