The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Gun Dog Broker
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Possible foxtail inhaled!

The reason for coke is it does several things, it collapses the foxtail because it contains water, it keeps it collapsed because once something is coated in coke it is very hard to get off, it contains bubbles (CO2) that help move th9ings around in the nose and also help with the sneeze reflex, and it has a PH of about 3 (it is an acid), which helps start breaking down the fibers in the foxtail and making them a bit more pliable. It is also pretty free of bacteria due to how they make and bottle/can it.

Club soda is a much less acidic drink but varies depending on how much salt or sodium bicarbonate is added which reduces (up numerically) the acidity of it. Club soda also does not coat things well.
    Last edited by Kelly Greenwood; 10-09-2012 at 09:55 AM.
    Dogs Dog, Handlers Handle, Judges Judge

HRCH Greenwoods Sealion Tsunami MH

I hate Pepsi because it seems more carbonated than Coke. (Best use for a Pepsi in my opinion!)
    If hospitality people buy it for clubs, we can't seem get rid of all the leftovers, even for free.

But in a pinch, any carbonation right away is better. Just blowing in the dog's nose also makes them continue to sneeze. Right at the line, asap, soda, blowing, whatever, looks like the thing to do!
    I appreciate the descriptions as to what the soda does to the foxtail !

Would using mineral oil be a good or bad idea if the dog is still sneezing after using the blowing/soda 'method'?

Debbie Tandoc, CA

Before I ever started field work, I had to visit a vet in the foothills of northern CA during an agility camp (ear hematoma issue) and was thoroughly IMPRESSED at the display of about 12 types of foxtails in a frame behind glass in the vet room!

Living in suburbia, and doing nice clean sports like obedience and agility, I never had my dogs in foxtails, even to air. (They were show goldens with lots of coat and I wouldn't want nasty stuff sticking to their coats, so it was natural to stay away from weedy areas!)

Debbie

One thing that is helpful if in an area with any foxtails and you need to air is to give the dog a bumper to hold while they are airing, the obvious is to not air where there are any foxtails. Also when any are around have a cotton loop type beach towel in the dog box/crate, foxtails tend to be attracted to this type of material (if you have ever walked through a field of foxtails wearing sport socks you know just how well).
    Dogs Dog, Handlers Handle, Judges Judge

HRCH Greenwoods Sealion Tsunami MH

So what is the exact technique for blowing Coke into a dog's nose? Do you take a mouthful and just force it in mouth-to-nose or do you pour it in and then blow?

Would it work to just squirt in in the nose via a squirt bottle?

JS
    “Don’t wave your phony patriotism in MY face! If you really love America, open your wallet and hire an American kid to build what you buy. Think of all our problems that might solve.” Doug Fraser (paraphrased) 1980

Real Americans buy American, though it may be too little too late now.

Snowshoe's All American Guy SH, UDX, WCX ... CODY ... at the bridge
    CH. Snowshoe's Girl Crazy MH, UD, WCX, SDHF, OS ... PRESLEY
    Millpond's Baby Boomer MH*** ... BABE
    Snowshoe's Crazy For Lovin You SH ... NELSON

Thanks for giving me a another reason to have a towel on top of my golden's bed in the crate! I usually tell people it's to help him dry in the 1.5 hours it takes to get home. Now I won't sound like a weeny. It does help me mentally connect that if I see debris that's fallen out, that there is probably more nasty stuff stuck still.
    Esp. a cockle burr that he's pulled out - I may as well check for the 'other' one he that hasn't bothered him yet.

Debbie Tandoc

Quote Originally Posted by JS View Post
    So what is the exact technique for blowing Coke into a dog's nose? Do you take a mouthful and just force it in mouth-to-nose or do you pour it in and then blow?

Would it work to just squirt in in the nose via a squirt bottle?

JS
    I held the dogs nose upright and had someone else pour liberally. I did this two or three times just to make sure. The dog typically shakes and tries to avoid but inhales enough to do the job. Good thing it was a Lab or I mighta got bit.

It's messy but it seemed to do the trick in my case.

Don't know if this the "correct" technique or not. If I had no one else around I would take a mouthful and blow it up the dogs nose. I'm sure a squirt bottle would do the trick as well.
    If I/we/you can't continue to advance our methods that focus on making training easier to learn/less painful for the dogs, we have no right to be training them. (Alec Sparks)

FTCH AFTCH NOREMAC'S UNDERTAKER (DIGGER) QFTR JFTR
    -2012 Canadian National Amateur Retriever Championship Finalist
    -2011 Canadian High Point Qualifying Retreiver

BARFLY'S DEADLY AIM (SNIPER) QFTR JFTR
    -2012 Canadian High Point Qualifying Retriever
    -2011 Canadian High Point Junior (Derby) Champion

We put the cola in our mouths and blow it into the nostrils with our lips sealing the snout. I think it gives more pressure to the cola and moves the fox tail around while coating it. I do not if a squeeze bottle would have the same effect.

New additions to my medical stuff, one turkey baster and one bottle of club soda