The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Basic first aid kit

Default Basic first aid kit

I keep my first aid stuff in a plastic fishing box in my truck, and I'll list
    everything in it. I carry this to field trials and when I go pheasant hunting.
    1. contact lens saline solution
    2. vet-wrap 2" & 3 "
    3. skin stapler
    4. tissue glue or super glue
    5. Panolog
    6. triple antibiotic ophthalmic ointment
    7. Deramaxx or Rimadyl
    8. Cephalexin & Amoxicillin 500 mg caps
    9. Doxycycline 100 mg tabs
    10. Imodium (loperamide) 2mg tabs or Metronidazole 500 mg tabs
    11. gauze sponges and soft roll cotton cast padding
    12. Atropine ophthalmic drops for penetrating eye injuries (use immediately)
    13. thermometer
    14. NewSkin
    15. Bufferin or Ascriptin
    16. dog boots - I prefer the cordura nylon ones with neoprene tops
    17. Benadryl capsules 25mg or 50mg

The skin stapler is a very avaluable item to have if you know how to use them (it's easy), your friendly veterinarian will teach you how. I have saved the pheasant hunt for at least 2 dogs by irrigating the wound and stapling it closed on the tailgate of a pickup.

My field kit is very similar the only additions that I have available would be:
    -Injectable antihistamine RE-Covr 1.1 mg/kg IM (or benadryl)
    -Prednisolone Sodium Succinate SOLU-DELTA-CORTEF 5.5-11 mg/kg IV
    -Carbocaine
    -I have a splint (human) from adventure medical outdoors that is a type of hard foam that can be folded in half or lengthwise or wrapped upon it's self to immobilize limbs or neck etc... in conjuction with roll gauze or vetwrap.
    -white athletic tape
    -syringes & needles
    "A dog doesn't care how much you know, until it knows how much you care."

Rick W Jackson D.V.M.
    Gunpowder Creek Retrievers
    Dakota Decoy Field Staff

what is there in the way of an instruction book that goes with that stuff?...this is somthing I am very interested in.. im trying to get up a canine first aid class put on by a local vet..
    i believe this is very important to those of us out running these dogs.. they do get injured..

Quote Originally Posted by clipper
    what is there in the way of an instruction book that goes with that stuff?...
    Hmmm...4 years of vet school & years of "practice"!
    But, seriously...Lion Country Supply sells a canine first aid book, that I have not personally viewed, but maybe other posters might have and can recommend if it is any good.There are a number of canine medicine books for the dog owner that are available that I m sure are adequate. The real key is to be able to recognize the problem early enough to take appropriate action, which is in most cases is to get your dog to your beloved & dedicated vet.
    "A dog doesn't care how much you know, until it knows how much you care."

Rick W Jackson D.V.M.
    Gunpowder Creek Retrievers
    Dakota Decoy Field Staff

Ed,

How do Deramaxx and Rimadyl compare? I've got a 9 yr old who takes Rimadyl periodically after workouts and my vet said I should switch to Deramaxx.....Any Pros or Cons.

Ed & Noah,
    My first aid kit is a well-stocked Bowie unit. Got you both beat!
    Curt

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!----Benjamin Franklin

My gripe with first aid kits is my own lack of competence. My wife is a Medical/Surgical ICU RN and could definitely treat an injured dog.

But for me, I'd likely just sort of open the kit up and show the stuff to the dog, hoping he'd feel better! I'm thinking I'll try to take Ed, Noah, Dr. J., Cray or Michelle along as part of my kit!

I'm curious about the Deramaxx, Rimadyl thing myself. Our almost 10 yr old "Bubba" is on Dermaxx. His arthritic front limbs got so bad that he'd not put any weight on them at times. The Deramaxx does seem to be helping. Sounds like he may develop some "tolerance" and we may need to bump the mg/day or mg/dose up at some point?

I think I've heard that Deramaxx is easier on the stomach and has less potential side-effects than the rym?

- Chris
    "Determining and applying the criteria for when and when not to use correction is the essence of the art of dog training. I make a distinction between a mistake and a lack of effort." - Mike Lardy - Volume I "After Collar Conditioning"

Default Rimadyl vs Deramaxx

Deramaxx is primarily a COX II inhibitor, and COX II is protective for the kidney, therefore dogs with impaired renal function should use Deramaxx with caution. It only need be given once daily.

Rimadyl has less COX II inhibition activity than Deramaxx, and is probably a little safer in dogs with impaired renal function. There have been some liver problems in Labradors, particularly ones who are low thyroid, taking Rimadyl. The percentage of problems is very small, and the liver changes are reversible when Rimadyl is discontinued. It is best given twice daily.

They are both generally safe and effective for the treatment of acute joint inflammation and degenerative joint disease. I think Deramaxx is more effective and only has to be given once daily.

I'm just going to start hunting with Dr. Ed... no sense in both of us buying all that stuff!

Shayne

Default first aid/stapler??

I am putting together our first aid kit where can i buy a skin stapler?
    Cyndi