The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

Thread: sick dog

Default sick dog

Has anyone had a young dog start bleeding really bad while peeing and pooping too? She is young only 1 1/2old great shape, she just colapsed around the house sat. evening no energy, refused to eat or drink. I took her to the Vet. did blood work, x-rays and found out her platelet count had crashed to very low count of 15. I just fear I will loose her she is bleeding badly. Vet put her on bunch of meds. Vet think it was caused by tick bite. Has anybody got a dog through Rocky Mnt. fever or spotted fever? Vet is not sure wich fever it is yet. How long of recovery will it take to pull my lab through this?

Quote Originally Posted by Brandi Weinman View Post
    Has anyone had a young dog start bleeding really bad while peeing and pooping too? She is young only 1 1/2old great shape, she just colapsed around the house sat. evening no energy, refused to eat or drink. I took her to the Vet. did blood work, x-rays and found out her platelet count had crashed to very low count of 15. I just fear I will loose her she is bleeding badly. Vet put her on bunch of meds. Vet think it was caused by tick bite. Has anybody got a dog through Rocky Mnt. fever or spotted fever? Vet is not sure wich fever it is yet. How long of recovery will it take to pull my lab through this?
    It sounds like anaplasmosis. I almost lost my dog to this. Is there a reason your vet isn't keeping your dog for transfusions? The treatment for anaplasmosis is similar to most tick borne diseases: prednisone and doxy, but your dog needs to be stabilized before she bleeds to death because that most certainly can happen.

M
    "You can put pressure on a dog, you can’t take it back…"

Mitch Patterson '07

MHR Wadin's Katie Lied CD, SH, WCX (11/25/93-1/27/07 Rest Well Kate)
    Brassfire's Brass in Pocket JH, WCX ** (4 Master passes)
    Brassfire's New England Patriot (New Pup!!!)

The treatment the vet put my dog on is predisone, doxy and steriods. My dog is rapidly loosing wieght turning to a bag of bones quicky. I have to keep her really calm and not move much an very much restrict her movements. She lost her bladder control having to pee all the time and trying to poop. Vet said we have to give the meds time to work. Is the transfusions necessary?

I don't have any answers for you , but wish you the best of luck!!
    BB
    Sight To Sea Labradors
    Southern Cross at Sight to Sea SH "Crosby" (by NAFC FC AFC Cody Cut a Lean Grade)
    Tealwood's Willing at Sight to Sea JH ( by CH I am Able)
    Briarglen's Running on Faith JH (by FC Fish River's Out of the Park)
    Glendair's Come Home to the Sea ( By Ch Topform's Edward MH, QAA)
    Sight To Sea's Take Aim SH (by Sight to Sea's Southern Comfort SH )Aug 23 2003-Feb 2013 Go get em , Man!

Manager of www.DeCoverlykennels.com

Quote Originally Posted by Brandi Weinman View Post
    The treatment the vet put my dog on is predisone, doxy and steriods. My dog is rapidly loosing wieght turning to a bag of bones quicky. I have to keep her really calm and not move much an very much restrict her movements. She lost her bladder control having to pee all the time and trying to poop. Vet said we have to give the meds time to work. Is the transfusions necessary?
    I'm going to answer, but with the caveat that I'm not a vet and some threads have really gone south over advice, but...

...I know I had to go to a second vet when the first one I went to didn't think my dog was sick. The time wasted almost cost my dog his life. My advice to you is to trust your gut. If you feel as though you are getting the very best care for your dog that's what is important. If you feel unsure-get a second opinion. I thought what you described in your first post was a dog who was bleeding profusely and a low platelet count. If those symptoms are subsiding and your dog is improving-great. Yes, the doxy and pred need time to work. I just wasn't/am not sure if your dog needs additional treatment or transfusions.

Wishing you good luck with your dog too.

M
    "You can put pressure on a dog, you can’t take it back…"

Mitch Patterson '07

MHR Wadin's Katie Lied CD, SH, WCX (11/25/93-1/27/07 Rest Well Kate)
    Brassfire's Brass in Pocket JH, WCX ** (4 Master passes)
    Brassfire's New England Patriot (New Pup!!!)

My dog just went through this issue. Believed to be from a tick (although never found what illness) He was put on doxy and within 24hrs made improvement. But they need to be on it for at least a month. Mine came off too early and relapsed and had to go back on. He lost 9 lbs in 5 days but didn't have bleeding like you mentioned. Just high fever and loss of appetite.
    Hopefully you'll notice a change tomorrow.