RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

Vet question - Parvo/Puppy shot series

4K views 15 replies 13 participants last post by  suepuff 
#1 ·
Hello everyone,

I was just wondering the normal number of series for Parvo/puppy shots.

In the past we have used one vet for all 7 dogs and the series has always been 3 shots.
We are using a different vet this time and they have a series of 4 shots. Our old vet said they are the same vaccines, with the fourth being a booster that is not really necessary.

I was just wondering what anybody else has seen for your pups.

Thanks,

Mark

#2 ·
Let me ask you a question. That 4th visit with the extra shot would cost what....$50. What's the cost of the puppy in real and emotional dollars?

None of the shots do any good except the one that finds the maternal antibodies have declined enough for the vaccine to kick in to challenge the puppy's immune system. Chances are, one or two puppies you've had didn't need the third shot but there was no way to know that so you gave it.

The thinking here is that we vaccinate at 8, 11, 15, and 18 weeks and some add one more at about 22 weeks.

#3 ·
Eric,

I get that, it is not about the cost... I already paid for the entire series. She has already had 3 shots and the fourth will be in 2 1/2 more weeks.

I was just wondering how many others have in the series they get for their puppies. I am still looking at another 5 weeks before I am given the OK to take the puppy out, which will make her 4 1/2 - 5 months old. I just know that with our other dogs, they had the OK about a month earlier then that.

Mark

#4 ·
I do my own vaccinations (except for rabies) but I also happen to think socialization is just as important as vaccinations. If you use common sense you can usually find places/other dogs that are safe for your pup to be around. Specifically, training buddies and/or friends that you know keep their dogs current on vaccinations. Main things to avoid with a young pup are highly trafficked areas such as rest stops on highways, dog parks and places like PetCo. I also take mine to our local puppy kindergarten classes because you have to show proof of vaccination to enroll.

#5 ·
Ya, parvo sucks I learned the hard way. My pup caught it at 10 weeks just after getting his second shot. $1500 later and he survived. My vet says he can never get it again and does not need to be vaccinatec against it. Is that true?

She normally does 3 shots in 4 week spans and then 1 at 1 year and every 3 years after.

#8 ·
I am by no means a vet so I am just passing along what my vet recently told me(since we were just in for our 16 week vaccinations). The breeder gave the pups their first round of shots, so I figured great, we have a good start on them........ Wrong I was. The Vet informed me that before the 8 week period the mothers immunities(that she has passed onto her pups) are still very much in effect and cancel out the majority of the vaccines given and they suggested to me that I go ahead to be on the safe side and do the 8, 12 and 16 week vaccinations and at the 16 weeks is when they add the Rabies vaccine in there. Obviously vets have different opinions but I assume that most are close to being on the same page in this aspect.

I do know what parvo can and does do first hand. It is one nasty critter, to say the least. And at their young age that is one of if not the biggest risk they have to get by.

#9 ·
Mark, I live in central CA (bad area for Parvo) and my vet has the pup on a 4 shot series with shots every 3 weeks. He had 1st shots before he was sent to me. Today he gets his 3rd set of shots. I hate that I can't take him anywhere yet, but better safe than very sorry.

#11 · (Edited)
Depending on which vaccine they are using, the good ones override maternal antibodies so that is not the issue it once was. Go to the vaccine website and read labels. It will be on there if they override maternal antibodies.

Sue

#12 ·
One of my vets has used the series of 4 for a while, he says if the clients do it on schedule, every 2-3 weeks, he has never had a case of parvo. I go with that:)
I also separate the rabies from the others and a lepto at 5 months and 2 weeks later. (

#13 ·
Does no one titer?

I don't live in an area where parvo is rampant...cross my paws!! But it is around.

I use a vaccine that over rides maternal anti bodies. Vaccinate at 8 and 12 weeks. Titer at 16 weeks. If the titer comes back as negative then I would vaccinate again. I haven't had to. Three years later the dog still had a high titer titre so she hasn't been vaccinated for parvo or distemper since 12 weeks old.

#16 ·
I will rephrase. Newer vaccines, can stimulate an active immune response in the presence of maternal antibodies. In particular, with parvo in the newer or rather the challenged strains.

Maternal antibody and vaccine research has improved significantly over the last five years. There is lots of published research available to read.

I typed my original response in haste and it should have read as above.

Sue Puff

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.