The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Vet question - Parvo/Puppy shot series

Depending on which vaccine they are using, the good ones override maternal antibodies so that is not the issue it once was. Go to the vaccine website and read labels. It will be on there if they override maternal antibodies.

Sue
    Last edited by suepuff; 10-05-2012 at 05:17 PM.
    Sue Puffenbarger
    Wirtz, VA
    www.boynelabradors.com

One of my vets has used the series of 4 for a while, he says if the clients do it on schedule, every 2-3 weeks, he has never had a case of parvo. I go with that
    I also separate the rabies from the others and a lepto at 5 months and 2 weeks later. (
    Christine
    "We who choose to surround ourselves with lives even more temporary than our own, live within a fragile circle, easily and often breached. Unable
    to accept its awful gaps, we still would live no other way. We cherish memory as the only certain immortality, never fully understanding the necessary plan." Irving Townsend.

Does no one titer?

I don't live in an area where parvo is rampant...cross my paws!! But it is around.

I use a vaccine that over rides maternal anti bodies. Vaccinate at 8 and 12 weeks. Titer at 16 weeks. If the titer comes back as negative then I would vaccinate again. I haven't had to. Three years later the dog still had a high titer titre so she hasn't been vaccinated for parvo or distemper since 12 weeks old.
    ~ Linda ~
    Kasomor NSDTR
    www.kasomor.com
    ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
    CH Westerlea's Kasomor Trio SH WCX CDX
    OTCH CH Kasomor's Wack 'Em N Stack 'Em SH WCX

"Depending on which vaccine they are using, the good ones override maternal antibodies so that is not the issue it once was. Go to the vaccine website and read labels. It will be on there if they override maternal antibodies. "

No vaccine can "overide" high levels of maternal immunity.
    Jan and Mike Connolly
    www.docsgoldens.com

Quote Originally Posted by Kasomor View Post
    Does no one titer?

I don't live in an area where parvo is rampant...cross my paws!! But it is around.

I use a vaccine that over rides maternal anti bodies. Vaccinate at 8 and 12 weeks. Titer at 16 weeks. If the titer comes back as negative then I would vaccinate again. I haven't had to. Three years later the dog still had a high titer titre so she hasn't been vaccinated for parvo or distemper since 12 weeks old.
    Yes I titer here on Long Island, NY

Quote Originally Posted by J Connolly View Post
    "Depending on which vaccine they are using, the good ones override maternal antibodies so that is not the issue it once was. Go to the vaccine website and read labels. It will be on there if they override maternal antibodies. "

No vaccine can "overide" high levels of maternal immunity.
    I will rephrase. Newer vaccines, can stimulate an active immune response in the presence of maternal antibodies. In particular, with parvo in the newer or rather the challenged strains.

Maternal antibody and vaccine research has improved significantly over the last five years. There is lots of published research available to read.

I typed my original response in haste and it should have read as above.

Sue Puff
    Sue Puffenbarger
    Wirtz, VA
    www.boynelabradors.com