The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reborn waterfowling interest?

Default Reborn waterfowling interest?

I just taught a Waterfowl ID class for my club. This was the largest class that I have taught. I had 26 people. BTW, students included two DEC biologists and a bay constable.

I hope that this signals a renewal in waterfowling interest on Long Island. At one time you had to be in the water well before sunrise and then fight for your spot. Now you have the whole bay to yourself.

If anyone on the forum has noticed a similar renewed interest I would love to hear about it. Maybe there is hope for the sport.
    "I love the rod and gun and where they take me."

"Do not judge a man until you have walked two moons in his moccasins."

Last season I noticed and was not too happy about the amount of hunters that were showing up in spots that I used to have all to myself. I am happy about the renewed interest but I am not too happy about having to compete for limited spots. Just my two cents.

I don't want too much competition either but here the lack of interest leads to loss of political clout and the resulting loss of access points and hunting opportunities. It is an increasing problem.

It's my first year waterfowling and I'm excited. Haven't been out yet but will be this weekend and/or next weekend.

Do you have any free ID information I could look over? Yeah I've looked at the stuff on the DU website but willing to learn as much as possible. tia
    That's my boy "Blue"!!!! Flyin High in the Passenger Side x Katie May of Belgrade

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel J Simoens View Post
    It's my first year waterfowling and I'm excited. Haven't been out yet but will be this weekend and/or next weekend.

Do you have any free ID information I could look over? Yeah I've looked at the stuff on the DU website but willing to learn as much as possible. tia

It is a continuing learning experience. I have been at it for 34yrs. and still manage to learn a few new things each and every year. IF you could predict to a "T" what Mother Nature has in store, then you best by a lotto ticket pronto fast....

Daniel.

Go here! Ducks at a distance. Its a classic guide produced by the fish and wildlife service.
    Look at LEFT hand collum, and see the PDF version. Download to computor.

The gudie is available to purchase also. A lot of good illustration.

http://archive.org/details/ducksatdistancew00hinerich

I think its great to have new Young people interested in the outdoor activities. especially hunting.
    Its great to have seasoned veterans take the time to help educate also..

Gooser
    Last edited by MooseGooser; 10-05-2012 at 09:29 AM.
    It is far easier to spit on the work of others than it is to produce something better yourself.
    Brynmoors Prairie Sage JH ​(Sage) Just a dang fool huntin Dawg
    HRCH Calypso Seven Bales High SH (Bailey)
    HR Calypso Zoomin Loosies Mad Hader (Maddi) We loved you baby. R.I.P.
    FlatLanders Broken Pistol Ricochet SH (Flinch)

My Christian Name is Michael Baker..
    I have gone by "Gooser" since I was a "gossling"

As a novice, the best thing you can do is hunt with someone who is experienced.

In addition to that:

1) Pattern your waterfowl load at the distance you will be shooting at
    2) Pattern your gun for point of impact (POI)
    3) Practice at the range wearing your hunting clothes
    4) Scout a couple of days before you actually shoot and ID the species ahead of time. The ducks you see scouting are very likely the ones you will see when hunting
    5) Get a copy of Ducks At A Distance and put it in a ziploc bag and bring it with you.
    6) If you can, get a copy of a video tape that was narrated by Grits Gresham. It is an excellent tape. It not only discusses markings on the duck but also addresses identifying ducks by flight characteristics. (When I can I will get the title for you.)
    7) Don't forget that you can also go out and practice IDing after the season is over.

The more you get out there to observe, the better you will get. I am very impressed by those who can ID waterfowl at great distances when you can't see any colors on the birds. They ID just by flock and flight and wingbeat characteristics.

Biggest mistakes: even seasoned hunters have poor shooting skills; people shoot at birds before they can positively ID them; misidentifying birds

I hope you have a good season. You're on the right track by trying to learn as much as possible.

The videotape that I referred to is DUCK IDENTIFICATION, Leisure Time Products, 3M Sportsman's Video Collection. It's not new but it is an excellent resource.

thank you all for the great information.

I just need to get some field time and see things first hand. below pic is one my buddy took yesterday of the Bay, it's pretty sad. I'm stopping out there tonight after work to get a better idea of the trails so it's not that awkward walking in the dark (yes we should have done better scouting preseason, our fault I admit).

happy hunting

That's my boy "Blue"!!!! Flyin High in the Passenger Side x Katie May of Belgrade

I think there's always an upsurge in waterfowling interest when the hatch is big. You'll see some of those same "new" folks fade away during the lean years. Everyone wants it easy and when it's not only the ones that really enjoy it stick with it.