The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The cost of campaigning a dog at any level

Quote Originally Posted by menmon View Post
    Your senerio assumes that your dog will still be playing after the first series. I learned never to book a room until after the first series. Lots of rooms come available after the first series.
    I tried it that way too, but having to find a room on Friday or Sat night after 6pm is no fun and cost prohibitive

Quote Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
    I was just looking the other day. Of the last 13 times I ran, I got to the blinds. The blinds are the death of me. Last weekend I realized I need to pay closer attention to which dog I'm handling and get in the right mindset because they are both a little different...

I learned about only booking one night though too. Cheapest room I could find at Minot this year was about $150/night and they billed me for three even though I was on the road for home Saturday night. Up there it's crazy trying to get a room, not sure I'll go all the way up there next summer because of it.
    Even though every trialer has blown out early and headed for home soon after they are out, we have determined from a safety standpoint it makes more sense to grab a bite to eat and maybe relax and get some rest and decompress before making a long drive home..trying to save a few dollars on room is not worth putting lives on the line while on the road, because you're tired or irritated
    All my Exes live in Texas

Quote Originally Posted by lanse brown View Post
    A few things that I learned still ring true. "Lanse when you get a gift, say thank you and walk away. When you get a screwing walk away. You are going to get a lot more screwings than gifts"

Why is this thread on POTUS Place, and not the RTF Forum ?

The more dogs you run the cheaper it is PER dog..........

john
    Last edited by john fallon; 10-05-2012 at 05:44 PM.
    "i guess the old saying 'those of us that think we know everything annoy those of you that does' " --bobbyb 9/13/06

"A Good Dog is a Good Dog"

Quote Originally Posted by Franco View Post
    I too think it cost less to have a competitve dog via a Pro. Especially, when I can make a lot more money working my day job then I can hanging out with the Pro and dog. 12k a year with a Pro is about right including entry and handling fees, birds etc. If I travel to make a trial, add another $400-$600 per trail depending on the distance and cost of motel rooms. I'd rather spend that money hunting private duck/goose lodges than driving 4 hours each way to see some crazy test setup. Plus, the Pro has bird throwers, birds etc. that as an individual, you can't spread that cost. Then, there is the grounds factor.
    We tried to rationalize the cost that way too, considering how much my brother could potentially earn by being at the clinic...now if we could just start charging the "patients" that he sees at the FT grounds, it would probably pay for the entire weekend...I always thought he was a popular and likeable guy till I figured that many just wanted some medical opinion....disclaimer : he does have some regular friends/patients that he will check on during the weekend and his been know to even treat a few on the grounds or at the hotel later....

Clint has tried a couple of seasons using a pro, but the one thing he missed the most was being there and competing in person, so he has opted to either train the dogs himself or forego the trial altogether when his responsibilities at home far outweigh playing games

The one thing you cant put a price on and you cant create is TIME..plus you cant replace that which is lost
    All my Exes live in Texas

Quote Originally Posted by lanse brown View Post
    A few things that I learned still ring true. "Lanse when you get a gift, say thank you and walk away. When you get a screwing walk away. You are going to get a lot more screwings than gifts"

Quote Originally Posted by john fallon View Post
    Why is this thread on POTUS Place, and not the RTF Forum ? john
    As we get further into the discussion you will see why it was put on POTUS .

Marvin S

Everyone's friend is No One's friend

Someday your life will flash before your eyes. It's your responsibility to make sure it's worth watching!

Quote Originally Posted by BonMallari View Post
    Clint has tried a couple of seasons using a pro, but the one thing he missed the most was being there and competing in person, so he has opted to either train the dogs himself or forego the trial altogether when his responsibilities at home far outweigh playing games
    This goes to those who believe their dogs are part of the family when they have earned that right & those to whom dogs are a symbol of status & hence, livestock. It is the enjoyment of the journey . For the former it's like sending your kids to boarding school full time .

Marvin S

Everyone's friend is No One's friend

Someday your life will flash before your eyes. It's your responsibility to make sure it's worth watching!

Quote Originally Posted by Marvin S View Post
    This deserves it's own thread for discussion so here goes - I gave an estimate, but fairly close as I do numbers as a pastime of $20K to be somewhat serious in the FT sport. I would imagine those who do 2 nationals a year or 4 would be into it much more than that.

Buzz stated it is probably less expensive to use a pro & he's probably correct, but if I'm going to be involved a pro does not work for me except for the knowledge they can pass on, either on purpose or not, during workouts. If I were going to use a pro full time I would have a share in a good race horse group with a chance of getting a return.

I'll do more later as I have to go to the store .
    Thanks Marvin for starting what I consider one of the best threads I have seen. I don't know about the expense part but for me the total package is my dogs and I doing our thing, no matter the results which include warts and all. I started in HT's just because that was what I was exposed first. I have such admiration for the dogs which so joyfully display their skills. I love those with whom I have trained, both pro and amataur, that have helped me so much. Being retired, I give thanks for each day that I am able to train and learn with my dogs. I have no idea how much I have spent, truck topper 4-wheeler, camper, not to mention wingers collars vet. bills, HT's ect. I do know that I cherish each day. I have a Bass boat and an aluminum boat for crappi and blue gill fishing and neither has been out of the garage this year. Some friends say I should sell them but I keep them just in case. Simply put, I love the training and treasure the friends I have made. As to the money, I always say "my son pays for it. That is just less he will inherit."

Each person has their own reasons for owning and running a dog or dogs, be it for their enjoyment of training it themselves or having a pro training. To me, any reason for doing so is a good reason.