RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

Gunners Up Servos

6K views 20 replies 17 participants last post by  JBlack 
#1 ·
First, please don't think this is a bash the company thread, it's not. Have 3 GU wingers about 6 to 7 months old. 6 servos have been replaced with #7 going out Wed and #8 going this morning. The first went out within the first hour it was in use. These wingers are used 6 days a week but are never left out in the elements. Is anyone else having a problem or is it just these? What can be done other than calling the company?

#3 ·
I 2nd the bad batch theory. My GU's are 6 years old and I have yet to replace my first servo. One did die last week but I have yet to replace it. ;)

#7 ·
I have had great luck with both of my GU wingers myself.... But I have to ask the question, Do you have to use GU servos or is there a universal solution? I like to fix things myself but I have never looked at them in 6 years.

Thanks

#12 ·
I had three that I used HARD for 5 years. Never had a problem outside of dewiring them. Sold them this spring and got two new son of a guns. Servo issue with one of them in first week. Called and they were very gracious.

#13 ·
GU has replaced several, but a few have been paid for. They buy them from a supplier but from what I understand the circuit board is replaced by GU, why I don't know. Just wanting the equipment to work that's all. They are bringing some to the Grand to replace these that just went out. That's appreciated but now, no wingers now to train with. Not fussing about the customer service, it's just a pain when things don't work any longer than these have. I really hope the bad batch is gone.

#14 ·
Eddie,

Apparently we received a bad batch of servos. Jerry, (My Dad) puts the chips in to the servos to correct the polarity (Different Polarity for Tri-Tronics vs DogTra). It’s been hard to narrow down the batch because he spreads all the servos out on the dining room table at night when he works on them so different batches got intermingled. He does think that he has gotten most of the bad ones culled.

My apologies for the inconvenience, we stand behind them 100% and will do whatever it takes to get you back up and running. If you got any questions please give Jerry a call.

Thank you for your support and all the best!

Richard Davis

#15 ·
Thanks Richard for your response. Jerry has agreed to bring servos to the Grand and the bad ones will be swapped. My question was not to bash a product but to find if this was a issue elsewhere as well. Swapping servos is not that big of a deal, just the down time. Thanks to you again.

#16 ·
Eddie,

Glad to hear Jerry's got you covered. Good luck in Tulsa and look forward to seeing you. The Old Skelly Ranch where the Grand is being held is neat place with lots of oil and hunting history. I think you will enjoy it!

All the best!

Richard Davis

#17 ·
What are the symptoms of a bad servo? I've got a newer unit that stopped launching a month or so ago. The catch moves a little, but the travel isn't long enough to clear the release arm. I thought maybe it was binding or something and was going to oil up all the joints. Could it be a bad servo? Or do bad ones not move at all?

#18 ·
Servo

What are the symptoms of a bad servo? I've got a newer unit that stopped launching a month or so ago. The catch moves a little, but the travel isn't long enough to clear the release arm. I thought maybe it was binding or something and was going to oil up all the joints. Could it be a bad servo? Or do bad ones not move at all?[/QUOTE

The trigger wire maybe bent. You may have a stripped gear. Wire polarity may have to be changed on "some" GU units not all of them for TT or Dogtra remotes.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.