The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

Thread: Vaccinations - Regular and Rabies together?

Default Vaccinations - Regular and Rabies together?

I am taking the crew in tomorrow for their Annual Check-up and their shots. I have all of them on a three year protocol for their regular shots and one of them needs his rabies. Do you think it is okay to have them all together, or should I have them give him rabies tomorrow and his regular shot later? (Say in a week or so?)

All the vets i have used give both the rabies and regular shots at the same time.

No
    Do not mix shots here

I never double up on vaccines.

Laurie

I would do his rabies tomorrow and his other shot in a month. There is much literature out there that says not to double up on shots, has to do with too much stress on the immune system. NOt normal for the body to have to mount a response(produce antibodies) to that many different antigens(viruses, bacteriums etc.) at one time. Many Vets will be with you on waiting and even explain why. Some will tell you that it does not mater and they do it all the time and your dog will be fine. Who knows, your dog may be fine, you will never know, unless it develops a rash or his head swells up. If it is just as easy for you to come back in 4 weeks that is what I would do. Coming back in a week will not add much benefit, the minimum you should wait is 3 weeks. Some Vets may say they are going to charge you another office visit to get you to do all the shots today. I am not a Vet, just info that I have gathered from educating myslef and discussing vacination protocols with several different Vets. You can do your own searches and probably find 100 different protocols.
    Good Luck,
    Colleen

Never seen a problem giving them at one time. I worked for my dad, a vet, for seven years and I'm pretty sure they did all the annual shots at once. My suggestion is to listen to what you vet says and don't rely on us non-qualified people.
    Bubba Joiner

HRCH UH Ridgewood's Georgia Dawg (500 point club)
    HRCH Ridgewood's Gold II
    HRCH Hold My Beer & Watch This
    Hope She's A Duk Dawg

My vet and I agree and we don't double up on vaccinations! We had a cat years ago that had all her shots (age 10-1/2) at once and died 2 weeks later. She was perfectly healthy when she got the shots. I swear it was just too much for her. Our puppy got her two Lyme vaccinations separately and several weeks apart from Rabies.

Quote Originally Posted by bjoiner View Post
    Never seen a problem giving them at one time. I worked for my dad, a vet, for seven years and I'm pretty sure they did all the annual shots at once. My suggestion is to listen to what you vet says and don't rely on us non-qualified people.
    OMG!!! I never road in a car seat when I was a baby either and survived but hey don't listen to me when I say put your baby in a car seat cause ...gee...I'm not qualified!! Are you kidding me!!!????

Rabies Challenge Fund http://www.rabieschallengefund.org/ is an on going study that the top immunologistgist in the country are doing. Why? Because the Rabies vaccine is the number one vaccine that dogs will have a reaction to. Sure they don't know what they are talking about and either do all the dog organizations who have contributed to this fund. They have nothing to gain except their dogs health.

Split the vaccines. A month at the mimimun, a year is better.

I'm the breeder of a puppy who is D-E-A-D from a vaccine cocktail that included rabies
    ~ Linda ~
    Kasomor NSDTR
    www.kasomor.com
    ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
    CH Westerlea's Kasomor Trio SH WCX CDX
    OTCH CH Kasomor's Wack 'Em N Stack 'Em SH WCX

When my first golden had cancer I talked to everyone I could, including Dr Schulz and a few others. The concensus was we were over vaccinating, and too much together. Over the years I with Several of my vet's help, do puppy shots, separate rabies and the rest. I do one year shots a week apart. do rabies every 2-3 years, do distemper every 3-4 years. One of my vets does not recommend distemper over 7 unless you travel, so I will give that one 1 more time.
    My vets are comfortable with this. I won't not vaccinate, we have way too much rabies and distemper still, but I go conservatively.
    Christine
    "We who choose to surround ourselves with lives even more temporary than our own, live within a fragile circle, easily and often breached. Unable
    to accept its awful gaps, we still would live no other way. We cherish memory as the only certain immortality, never fully understanding the necessary plan." Irving Townsend.