The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Breeding question???

Default Breeding question???

Both parents of my dog are clear of EIC/CNM do I still need to pay to have the test before breeding? I had her OFA done and she is normal hips and good elbows. I have her AKC and UKC information. I want to breed her on her next cycle but only after she passes ALL normal testing. I understand that I still need to get her eyes checked. so really I just wonder about the EIC????
    "Where nameless men by nameless rivers wander, and in strange valleys die strange deaths alone. I'll be found."
    (Random FB quote I liked)
    www.facebook.com/teamdeadfowl

EIC and CNM are both recessive gene caused abnormalities
    so your dog doesn't carry either - now are you sure both parents are free of these things - for example are they on the white list for CNM and did you see documentation about EIC??
    just wondering
    trog

If her sire and dam were tested "clear", then she is clear by parentage.

Did you see the paperwork on the sire and dam stating they were clear? I would test anyway I know people that thought they had a clear pup and were pretty shocked when it came back as carrier or affected.
    GMHR Riparian Bearly Behavin MH QAA (FC AFC Rebel with A Cause X AFC Bams Liberty Belle MH )
    GMHR Gadwalls Nightmare (MHR Tanglewood Iron Dago x Wind River Poppin Pepper)
    MHR Highlands Bearcat (FC AFC Suncrest Bear X GMHR Gadwalls Nightmare)
    Croppers Gold Dust (NAFC FC M D's Cotton Pick' N Cropper X Hunka Papas Chardonnay JH )

Father is Small Craft Advisory "Rough" and mother is Grace In The Hole "Gracie" both are clear.
    "Where nameless men by nameless rivers wander, and in strange valleys die strange deaths alone. I'll be found."
    (Random FB quote I liked)
    www.facebook.com/teamdeadfowl

You want a copy of the sire and dams paperwork so you can show it to potential puppy buyers if you say your girl is clear by parentage you have to have the paperwork to prove it. You have the cnm white sheet but there isn't a database for eic.
    GMHR Riparian Bearly Behavin MH QAA (FC AFC Rebel with A Cause X AFC Bams Liberty Belle MH )
    GMHR Gadwalls Nightmare (MHR Tanglewood Iron Dago x Wind River Poppin Pepper)
    MHR Highlands Bearcat (FC AFC Suncrest Bear X GMHR Gadwalls Nightmare)
    Croppers Gold Dust (NAFC FC M D's Cotton Pick' N Cropper X Hunka Papas Chardonnay JH )

Were there other puppies whelped in the same location and time frame as your litter? Stranger things happen where puppies get mixed up as well. In the long haul it's only $100 for both tests so I'd say test for both just to have the paper trail.
    Cody's Gunslingin' Cosmonaut MH (Shooter)

Senior Member Richard McCullough's Avatar

Go to web sites for EIC and CNM, find out what they need from you, sire and dam so you can get the cleared by parentage, that way you will have the documentation to show she is clear.

I just did the testing on both of mine.

What about CERF?
    4XGMPR HRCH Lankas Labs Brandys Maximillion MH "Max"

1.5XGMPR HR Rick's Rooster Smasher of DRL SH "Eli"

GMPR HR Bearpoint's They Call Me The Breeze SH "Breeze"

The New Club; Piedmont Pointing Labrador Club

You still need the cerf. But, I would tell people that both of mom's parents are clear of eic and cnm per the offa.org website and that her dad is clear of eic per the same website and is on the cnm whitelist.
    Howard Niemi

You really gotta be careful about how high a pedestal you put your method, your accomplishments, your dog on. There's usually someone who's done more, somewhere. And they may have used a different method than you did! Chris Atkinson 2013

get your dog out and TRAIN! caryalsobrook 2013

Since her parents have documented clearances for CNM and EIC the only thing people might want you to prove is that her parentage is accurate. To do that her and her parents would each need a DNA profile, which are cheaper than the tests for CNM and EIC. The sire probably already has a DNA profile on file with the AKC. AKC does DNA profiling, the info is on the AKC website.

It's something I was thinking of doing with my dog, whose parents are documented clear, just to confirm that she would also be clear because those are in fact her parents. Not that I have any doubt, but her sire and dam are already dna'ed, so DNA profiling my dog is a cheap way to prove parentage and therefor clear by parentage.

I think there is a good chance that those with unexpected carriers or affecteds either tested with a bad laboratory (there was one operating) or had incorrect parentage.
    Last edited by AllAroundLab; 10-06-2012 at 03:45 PM.