The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Breeding question???

Quote Originally Posted by Corytdf View Post
    Both parents of my dog are clear of EIC/CNM do I still need to pay to have the test before breeding? I had her OFA done and she is normal hips and good elbows. I have her AKC and UKC information. I want to breed her on her next cycle but only after she passes ALL normal testing. I understand that I still need to get her eyes checked. so really I just wonder about the EIC????

You know that both PARENTS are clear. How do you know this? because they were tested and you saw the paperwork. You assume your bitch is clear, as most people do when they have clear parents, but nature has a way of throwing in an abnormality every now and then. SO in order to be certain your female is clear TEST her. If you are striving to improve the gene pool having tests done on the animal you are using gives you an idea of what you might get in the offspring. Will your puppy buyers will be satisfied with a Clear By Parentage on your female?

Just a thought (speaking from personal experience)... I purchased an “EIC CLEAR” puppy once... with paperwork from UMN (dew claw tests were conducted on the pups). Only to find out later on that the breeder had made a mistake and confused 2 pups and mine was a carrier. I will always have ALL of my dogs tested myself now (even the ones who are EIC clear by parentage). I think its good practice for everyone to test their OWN pups/dogs before they intend to breed.
    Danielle R. Pellicci
    http://www.blackFootkennels.com
    Home of:
    SPICE, MH (11) CD RA NA (OA2) NAJ
    (FC AFC “Cori” X Malli QAA)
    FEATHER, MH QAA
    (FC AFC “Kicker” X “Spice” MH CD RA NA NAJ)
    PENNY, CD BN SH (RN2)
    (FC AFC CAFC “Copper” X “Faith” MH QAA)
    CAPPY
    (2XNAFC FC AFC “Ram” X “Cree”)
    HALO
    (FC AFC “Kicker” X“Spice” MH CD RA NA NAJ)
    TORCH
    (HRCH “Ticket” MH X“Penny” CD BN SH)
    &
    RIP: Rhumbline’s Guinness is Good, JH... Miss you every day "Big Man"

I agree with Danielle...if you get the testing done yourself, you know FOR SURE what that dog is/isn't. I tested my dogs that were "clear by parentage" so I could put have the results put in OFA's database for ease of confirming. Also, when we tested all of our dogs for EIC, we were not surprised by one of our bitches being EIC carrier (she had an affected littermate), however, we were shocked to find out that her 9 year old uncle that was a MH and had been hunted extensively was EIC affected...to our knowledge, he never had an episode. I now have a female back from him and will be testing her and another one that I know is a "carrier by parentage" just for the results to be posted on OFA. Same goes for my pup that I know is "clear by parentage". IMO it's easier that way than to scan/e-mail copies of everything on the parents, not that I wouldn't show them if asked, but I know I do a lot of research on OFA and the CNM whitelist when I'm looking at pedigrees.
    High Tess JH
    Cedar Swamp's Linden JH
    Cedar Swamp's Cuttin a Rug
    Cedar Swamp's Holy Terror JH (3 SH passes)
    Blackfoot's Mr Independence at Cedar Swamp JH
    Cedar Swamp's Angel in Disguise
    Cedar Swamp's Test Pilot
    Cedar Swamp's Bonanza
    Cedar Swamp's Twisted Sister

Others have also graced our hearts...gone not forgotten.
    RC Buckshot of Seven Hickories MH
    Ceader Swamp's Deuces Wild SH
    Fallen Timber's Second Chance MH
    Ceader Swamp's Mac Millett SH
    and several others...

Senior Member BWCA Labs Margo Penke's Avatar

I recently retained one of my own pups who is eic cleared by dews. I know that I know she is eic cleared, and that she was not mixed up with any other puppy; however - when/if it comes time to breed her I plan on getting her an EIC VPI number. a number that is Vet Verified by Permanent ID resulting from an EIC Blood Drawn test. What I know is good for me, my plans are for the benefit of those purchasing her future potential pups who do not have a complete trust in me or my knowledge on the matter. My new puppy Jolor's One to Hold Onto "Keeper" is CNM Cleared by parentage as well, but again I plan on getting Keeper's name on the white list.
    Home of: Jolor's Rejuvenator MH "Sparkle"
    Jolor's Pixie Blue SH "Pixie"

www.bwcalabs.com

"When one is rough or cruel, it means that bodily abuse is given for no reason. When one is firm, he gets the dog to obey with a minimum of force. It is obvious that a trainer can't get co-operation from a frightened dog." ~ Joe (Lorraine) DeLoia (2/19/50)

One can also obtain an 'clear by parentage' certificate if criteria is met..
    http://www.offa.org/cbp.html

But my preference in the case of EIC would be to do the test to get a number... CNM parentage can be verified on their white list.
    Terrie Tomlinson
    Frontier Retrievers
    HR Five Star Winning Sue SH
    Young Guns: Frontier's True Grit With a Cause "Rooster" and Frontier's Gossip Girl With A Cause "Gabby"
    Boykin Spaniels: Max, Scarlet, Rummy, Jewels, Bella, Molly, and Piper

In Memory:
    HRCH Frontier's Cherokee Rebel MH (5-9-2000 to 12-6-2011)
    Moonstone's Little Girl Found MH (3-20-1998 to 5-2-2008)
    Calebri's Take the Money and Run JH (3-3-2008 to 6-20-2012)

How many bitches have their DNA profile done to have the "parentage verified"? Also there's still a lot of people that don't have their EIC/CNM results posted which would keep it from being "clear by parentage" status as well. Easier to do the test and have it posted.

The AQHA (horses) implemented it about 15 years ago, adding years until all producing mares were also DNA profiled...they have to have it before a foal out of them can be registered now. With AQHA, the offspring aren't required to be "verified" until breeding time. I would have no problem having to have the bitches DNA profile done just like the "frequently used sires".
    High Tess JH
    Cedar Swamp's Linden JH
    Cedar Swamp's Cuttin a Rug
    Cedar Swamp's Holy Terror JH (3 SH passes)
    Blackfoot's Mr Independence at Cedar Swamp JH
    Cedar Swamp's Angel in Disguise
    Cedar Swamp's Test Pilot
    Cedar Swamp's Bonanza
    Cedar Swamp's Twisted Sister

Others have also graced our hearts...gone not forgotten.
    RC Buckshot of Seven Hickories MH
    Ceader Swamp's Deuces Wild SH
    Fallen Timber's Second Chance MH
    Ceader Swamp's Mac Millett SH
    and several others...

When you breed a female that is EIC carrier to a clear male, and female is CNM clear will it be easy to sell pups. Of course both parents are HRCH/MH's before breeding.