RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

Collar Conditioning

3K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  winger 
#1 ·
New Pup in the fold!

Opinions on collar conditioning. In the past I always used 4+ months to start.
Interested in other views.

#3 ·
That is awful young. I follow TRT and it is not done that soon. It is after ff, walking ff, stick fetch, simple casting. And that is a lot for a four mo. old who doesn't have his permanent teeth yet. Just my opinion and you asked.
My pup just turned six months and we started walking ff today. So cc is a several weeks away. However, I did do ecollar here about two weeks ago.

What is your definition of cc? Is it just ecollar here or the Lardy Total Ecollar Conditioning?

#8 ·
I start at 4 months, to learn what stimulation level gets his attention. Usually about a high 1 or a low 2. During the next month I use the collar to re-enforce the sit at distance command and the come command. This way the dog has a good idea that the with the collar comes prompt response reflex.

The balance of any collar work does not begin until the FF stage.

#4 · (Edited)
Traditional collar conditioning after Formal Obedience and FF. depending on the dog, but typically I would start Formal Obedience at about 6 months old.

I will follow Hillman's Puppy DVD with my next pup, so will start collar work at about 12 weeks of age. This is not traditional collar conditioning though.

#6 ·
Winger, Were you up late? Or up very early?

#7 ·
Opinions on this vary, obviously. If you're following Lardy you're early for CC. If you're following Smartwork we CC only to the "Here" command at around 4-5 months, but do not fully CC at that point. Is there a specific program you're trying to follow?

Evan

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.