The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

Thread: Outfield fly gdg

Default Outfield fly gdg

I dunno if there are many baseball fans here but wow was that a terrible call in the Braves vs Cardinals wild card game. I know Atlanta had a bunch of errors but that was a game changer.

The call was terrible, but the behavior of the fans was even worse. Apparently Chipper's class didn't rub off on the fans, even after all these years.
    Pay attention to your dog, and train that dog as an individual. No schedules, no cookie-cutter formulas. You'll be fine.

The above was posted by Evan Graham, I liked it and decided to use it for my sig. Sorry for the confusion.

J.D.

The NFL replacement refs didn't have anything to do tonight so they called the Braves/Cards game.
    M&K's HR UH Tucker of Texoma JH
    M&K's SHR Prime Black Angus
    M&K's Miss Jessie Girl JH
    Sir Jacob of Lakeview-Jake
    Freeway JYD

Mike Whitworth

I don't agree with a one game playoff. It's baseball at least play 3 games. I agree The fans throwing trash was uncalled for.but to play 162 games and lead the wildcard by 6 games then eliminated after 1 game is no good.
    Last edited by jerod; 10-05-2012 at 10:25 PM.

I as a cards fan I even thought it was a crappy call, until I read up on it. The fans reaction was uncalled for though

first reaction was horrible call, after review of everything I think it was an ok call. There was a similar call for the Cubs this year where the SS went out just as far. Just so happens this rookie SS pealed off at the last second, plus it's magnified with it being the playoffs.
    That's my boy "Blue"!!!! Flyin High in the Passenger Side x Katie May of Belgrade

The initial call when you watch it in regular time it looks to be a blown call. But when you watch it slowed down it is the correct call. The infielder can go all the way to the warning track and if he can get settled under the ball then it can be considered an "infield fly". I dont agree that the infielder can go that far and it be considered that but it is what the rule states. Had a game in college where this happend to us as well.

I am a Braves fan, just to get that out of the way. Watching it real time and only half paying attention since we were having dinner in a restaurant, I thought it was a bad call. Watching the replay, I think it was clearly the proper call. It matters little anyway since the Braves have shown all season that there is no way that they can take a series from the Nationals and that the ownership doesn't care.

Not sure what I think about the one game wild card. It sure makes the end of the season more interesting.

In discussing this with a friend of mine who is a former professional umpire, he says the rule states that the infield fly shall be called on any ball that an infielder can make a play on with reasonable effort. It seems to me that this call is made quite regularly in the course of a game, but that because the fielder rarely does not make the routine play, like the other night, it goes unnoticed.

The call was absolutely the right call according to the rules of baseball. Also the rule is in place to protect the Braves runners which in this case was the team at bat. The runners can advance at their own risk which they did.