The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Which dog food?

Default Which dog food?

I need help on which dog food should I go with

My vote is for purina pro plan performance formula. It's what my breeder uses and recommends so its what I started giving my dog and I have been very satisfied.

Couple of things to clarify would be good information such as how active your dog is, what you do/plan to do with your dog, age of dog, etc. There is a pile of great dog food out there, but I would hesitate to feed any of the "performance" formulas to a dog that does little or no intermediate to heavy training or hunting work. These types of food can lead to weight gain due to higher calorie content. Some trainers/hunters stop feeding performance foods after trial, hunt test, or hunting season ends and back off to the intermediate protein/fat content formulas because the dog doesn't need the calories and the food is cheaper. Any of the formulas from Purina are Eukanuba are great food and both companies support our dog sports very well. As well you may need to test drive a few formulas to see what works best for your dog in regards to stool composition and coat quality, two great indicators of how they work for your dog. Only other advice is you get what you pay for in regards to quality. Stay away from the bargain bin stuff.
    Last edited by ad18; 10-06-2012 at 05:10 PM. Reason: spelling error
    HRCH Scaupgetters Seminole Ben SH WCX
    NMH GMH HRCH Heads Up Lightning Strikes WCX

Quote Originally Posted by ad18 View Post
    Any of the formulas from Purina are Eukanuba are great food and both companies support our dog sports very well. As well you may need to test drive a few formulas to see what works best for your dog in regards to stool composition and coat quality, two great indicators of how they work for your dog.
    This is truth... My dog has done ok on purina pro plan performance, but at the trainers they use Euk 30/20 and it really changes the look of his coat... You wouldn't think dog food would do that but it does... Any of the higher end dog foods are going to do their job which is to give your dog the energy he needs to do his job... It's up to you to experiment and find the right match for the dog... I only wish performance blends could be found in sample sizes, 40lbs is a long experiment when your dog only eats 2 cups a day!!

pick a food that gets your dog the energy it needs, then pay attention to stools and coat and you should be good. Good luck!

purina pro plan performance is to high cost

is Diamond Naturas Extreme Athlete a good dog food to buy cause i have heard good things and bad things and it looks like to me its about even on the good and bad about it

I will never, ever feed any Diamond product to a dog. Too many bad batches, too many recalls, not near enough quality control. If you can't afford good food, you can't afford a dog! Sorry to be harsh, but what ya gonna do about the vet bills?
    Carol,
    Owned and handled by Cruisin' with Indiana Jones, JH
    Alternate Handler: Westwind Buffalo Soldier
    Apprentice Handler: Snake River Medicine Man, JH
    http://newhoperetrievers.com

i just tought there would be a good dog food but didnt cost so much

[QUOTE]is Diamond Naturas Extreme Athlete a good dog food to buy cause i have heard good things and bad things and it looks like to me its about even on the good and bad about it[/QUOTE

You live in a bad part of the country to be feeding diamond products. Some of the critical workers in gaston SC plant have proven themselves to be sub standard.

I am lucky in that my diamond product comes from california which has yet to have a recall. A much better record than euk. or PP,,but only from this one plant.

what about loyall dog food are they good

Jeff Briggs