The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

Thread: Salt water soaked G2 transmitter

Default Salt water soaked G2 transmitter

Well the rising tide and the last chance to cross what once was a shallow channel were quickly closing on one another. Time was running out. The dogs in their exhuberance had already swam ahead. That told me the crossing was deep now. My hunting partner had crossed ealier. He waited on the other side it would still be below the top of my waders. I eased in slowly and a few carful steps the water was up to my knees, then another step an and the flow of the tide was pressing against my waste. I told myself to keep moving, no turning back now. There is maybe two, at best three inches before it will be over the the top of the chest waders. I been here before, both literally and figuritively. I've reached the middle of the channel and moving quiclkly. The neoprene waders give me a sense of boyancy and I know the water level is near the top of them. A half a dozen more steps and I pull myself out of the channel. Water is draining out of the pockets as I am standing on the gravel peninsula with warm sun on my face. It is a comfort to wet hands and forarms. Relaxing briefly and reflecting on the crossing I jolted from my comfort zone as Ripple starts to yelp. She a few feet from my hunting partner. I give a "here" command. She sprints to close the distance towards us. As she passes by my hunting he grabs her by the collar strap and in an instant he has freed her from her torment just as pull the soaked transmiter out of my cargo pocket of hunting jacket. Fortunately she responds to a level two on the Pro 500 were I have it dialed in for her. She was pretty clingy for the first few hundred yards as we walked the mile or so back to the truck. It took a few gentle release commands from me and soon she was back to herself, independent and exploring the ditches and marsh edges and channels on side of road as we hiked the trail back.

Now I'm thinking I will stop trying to blow the residual water out with burst of breath and try dispacing the remaining water with WD 40 and then using compressded to bring the G2 Pro 500 back to a safe and fully operational condition.

Anyone on RTF with experience in restoring the transmitter to how it should function?
    Last edited by Ironwood; 10-06-2012 at 09:49 PM.

It's a long shot but try placing it in a bowl of uncooked dry white rice. Leave it there for at least 24hours. It saved my cell phone once. If it doesn't work, you can then cok it, mix some burger in with it and feed it to nipple as a peace offering. Good luck.
    Muck Madness Retrievers
    Mark Berger
    Chittenango, NY

Emerald City Reba, SH
    Emerald City Rosie SH
    Muck Madness Hurricane SH ... "Cane"
    Muck Madness Bailey's Irish Cream ... Bailey

www.muckmadnessretrievers.com

"How you do anything is how you will do everything".

I think that you would do better with contact cleaner that is sold in Radio Shack. Even if you use that, I wouldn't have much hope. How will you get rid of the salt crystals in the transmitter which have probably already ruined the electronics? WD 40 is oil and salt is not soluble in oil.
    "I love the rod and gun and where they take me."

"Do not judge a man until you have walked two moons in his moccasins."

Looks like the electronic contact cleaner started to disolve the plastic. Well the transmitter will be going to Phoenix for a rebuid or replacement. Ouch! Same sentiment Ripple had a few hours ago.

1st remove battery ASAP
    2nd take apart transmitter
    3rd wash all components with distilled water making sure to get button and knob switches clear of salt water by using them while under water.
    4 circuit board gets sprayed off with water
    5 dry everything with compressed air as best you can
    6 place switches and circuit board any other electrical components in dry white rice for about 3 days
    7 check circuit board for black marks which means it shorted out and components may need to be replaced
    8 if everything looks good reassemble and cross fingers
    9 charge battery a short time and test unit if it works fully charge and run thru test of all buttons and switches.
    Dogs Dog, Handlers Handle, Judges Judge

HRCH Greenwoods Sealion Tsunami MH QAA