The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

Thread: Need advice

Default Need advice

My lab fell into a hole about a week ago and dislocated his hip. No dido Asia, just a bad injury. Vet put it back in, but it came back out a couple of days ago. He is recommending a "thermal head ostiectomy" where part, or all, of the head of the femur is removed so that a "false joint" forms from scar tissue. Does anyone have any experience with this and have some advice. I am not a field trial guy, just have a really good dog, that my son and I really enjoy hunting with.

How old is he? What will it cost? I guess the prognosis is that the joint won't stabilize and strengthen with rest?

I had a THO done on a "mutt" that I had that got out of the yard and got hit when she was just under a year old. She recovered really well, had no issues with it once the recovery period was done, not even a limp. She was about 50 lbs I guess. I couldn't give you long term results since she died at about 3 years old from other issues. Right at 20 years ago it cost me just under $400, don't know what it would run now.

From what my vet told me you reset and put it in a sling for the muscles, etc to "tighten" back up. He said that generally, if it pops back out, especially after a couple of days, that it won't stay in if you reset it the second time. I never had one of my own dogs to dislocate a hip, I ask a lot of questions, it may have been one he was working on when I was there one day or a rescue dog or if it was a continuation of explanation from the dog above about what other uses the THO had (I wanted to be a vet growing up). It's also used in CHD when the joint is too bad, it can help with lameness issues from bad hips.
    High Tess JH
    Cedar Swamp's Linden JH
    Cedar Swamp's Cuttin a Rug
    Cedar Swamp's Holy Terror JH (3 SH passes)
    Blackfoot's Mr Independence at Cedar Swamp JH
    Cedar Swamp's Angel in Disguise
    Cedar Swamp's Test Pilot
    Cedar Swamp's Bonanza
    Cedar Swamp's Twisted Sister

Others have also graced our hearts...gone not forgotten.
    RC Buckshot of Seven Hickories MH
    Ceader Swamp's Deuces Wild SH
    Fallen Timber's Second Chance MH
    Ceader Swamp's Mac Millett SH
    and several others...