The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

Thread: Field Trial Logistics

Default Field Trial Logistics

Do all levels begin on the Friday of the trial and continue for more than one day. Or will the Derby be completely played out on Friday? I Haven't been to a field trial to observe and won't have the opportunity until February. Mainly wondering if I were to enter a Derby, would I be competing for more than one day? But also interested in how the other levels play out. Are the higher levels going all three days?

Thanks,
    Jennifer

Depends on:
    1) What the premium says start times are
    2) What the size of the stakes are
    3) How efficient the judges are
    4) How efficient the club is

Ted
    Competition does not build character - It reveals it.

Home of:
    FC/AFC Freeridin Wowie Zowie (2003 NARC Finalist)
    FC/AFC Sky Hy Husker Power
    FC/AFC Freeridin Smooth Operator
    FC/AFC Freeridin Vampire Slayer (2007 NARC Finalist)
    AFC Freeridin Maserati (Double Header Winner)

www.freeridinretrievers.com

This may vary from trial to trial, and is usually dependent on the amount of entries

Friday : Open- all day, lucky to complete one series....Qualifying stake- can usually finish all four series by the end of the day

Saturday: Open - second and third series...Amateur- first and second series....Derby - starts and sometimes MAY finish (during daylight savings time)

Sunday : Open - fourth series ..Amateur third and fourth series...Derby finish last series
    All my Exes live in Texas

Quote Originally Posted by lanse brown View Post
    A few things that I learned still ring true. "Lanse when you get a gift, say thank you and walk away. When you get a screwing walk away. You are going to get a lot more screwings than gifts"

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Shih View Post
    Depends on:
    1) What the premium says start times are
    2) What the size of the stakes are
    3) How efficient the judges are
    4) How efficient the club is

Ted
    You forgot "How long it takes for the pros to come over from the Open."

If a Derby starts on Friday, it may or may not finish - depends on the size of the entry. Ask people that go to the trials you are interested in how many dogs they usually get or look up on EE. Derby numbers fluctuate, but in No CA, they are rarely less than 20 dogs.

The spring trials have several Patopea dogs and other pros from OR and WA, so there are closer to 30 or more in Derby. In that case, there is usually at least the last series left to run on Saturday (and 'nice' for you if you are so lucky to still be in contention!).

I hate it when Derby starts on Saturday (or Qual if I'm in that stake) because it's very hard to actually guess when they'll start Derby. Have someone at the trial call you if you are not there.

Qual often has the same entries and issues as Derby - numbers, time it takes to run the dogs and time waiting for dogs to come from AM or Open.

A Derby/Qual trial has to finish in one day and it's also more do-able, since there are no Open and Am people to wait for! Judges still have to be good on their time management if they have a lot of dogs (like 30 +)

Debbie Tandoc, San Jose

Thanks for the replies. Very helpful! I think I will try out this game in the spring!

Hi Debbie! We met at the Smith River hunt test in August (and a couple times before that).

Jennifer

Jennifer,

Check out this year's February trials in northern California on Entry Express... Lassen, Sagehens, etc. This year's trials should be about the same in 2013 as far as scheduling goes. Entries go up, entries go down, but at least you can determine when the Derby will start in 2013 based upon 2012. Same for the March trials.

Helen

Thanks Helen,

Those are the trials I have in mind. Also plan to be a laborer for the Lassen club. Hope to see you there.

Jennifer

Quote Originally Posted by Jhenion View Post
    Thanks Helen,

Those are the trials I have in mind. Also plan to be a laborer for the Lassen club. Hope to see you there.

Jennifer
    You'll see me at Lassen. Usually marshal for the Open, on the FT Committee, and club treasurer writing checks on Sunday. Hubby is Lassen's F.T. Chairman. You'll see me at Sagehens, too, on the Committee, writing checks, etc. Except hubby isn't F.T. Chairman. A Hen will be the chairman.

Quote Originally Posted by Jhenion View Post
    Do all levels begin on the Friday of the trial and continue for more than one day. Or will the Derby be completely played out on Friday? I Haven't been to a field trial to observe and won't have the opportunity until February. Mainly wondering if I were to enter a Derby, would I be competing for than one day? But also interested in how the other levels play out. Are the higher levels going all three days?

Thanks,
    Jennifer
    I have entered Derbies were I only competed for a few minutes...
    John Lash

"If you run Field Trials, you learn to swallow your disappointment quickly."

"Field trials are not a game for good dogs. They're for great dogs with great training." E. Graham