The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for a lab. Bench or field questions

Default Looking for a lab. Bench or field questions

Hi everyone. New to the site. I am looking for a new pooch I am leaning towards a bench/English lab, I love the stocky look. But I do have a few questions.

First I will tell a little about me. I have had a GSP, best bird dog I have owned and trained her myself RIP Chip. I currently have a blf who is at the late stages of kidney failure I did have her professionally trained, however she just never did work out,so she became the sweetest house dog.

I am not ready for a new dog now but will be in 6 months or so. I waterfowl hunt Probably 10 times a yr as well as dove hunt.

How would a bench lab vs a field lab do in these situations

Any suggestions on reputable kennels? You can pm that info

Now here is the big one pup or started? Pros and cons.

Thanks

Welcome to the RTF quacker.
    a dog don't know if it comes from a beauty queen vs. a construction worker.
    only if it's belly is full and if there is a open spot on the couch.
    Hunting as little as you do, ether type, as long as the bench one is birdy, will work.
    What part of the world are you in so we can steer you to a breeder.
    As for puppy vs. started??? what do you like to do? Looking on the started dog page for another post I spotted a 7 year old with derby points and an AM. win for sale off of a pro truck.
    "So what is big is not always the Trout nor the Deer but the chance, the being there. And what is full is not necessarily the creel nor the freezer, but the memory." ~ Aldo Leopold

"The Greatest Obstacle to Discovery is not Ignorance -- It is the Illusion of Knowledge" ~ Daniel Boorstin

Thanks for the response ken. I live in md.

The started vs pup is a tough one. Pup yrs are great with exception of some sleepless nights lol. The started dog, you pretty much know what you're getting.

A bench bred dog will be fine. My advice is to get one from hunt titled parents. My avatar is bench bred, both sire and dam have high level hunt test titles. He is the highest drive dog we've ever had and is a very good marker.

My aviator is old but I can tell you that the bench bred one ( CH/MH sire with working show lines on the dams side too) is the one that goes hunting more often with my husband than the FC/AFC sired one.Magic is much more calm in the the blind while according to hubby, his dog, Buddy is a total PIA. I can't tell you if it is really a breeding issue or a training issue as the show dog has spent a lot more time doing stuff that requires he be under control, rally, ob, show ring TDI etc. while Buddy spent all of his time on straight field work.
    Hihope Hiland Heathen of Perth CD, RE, CGC, TDI

Banned

I love my field bred dogs. Don't get me wrong, but for my clientele, that are hunters with small children,,, A show bred dog out of parents with hunt test titles is the ticket. Low maintenance, easy on the eyes and easy to train.

All of these dogs are Master Hunters and are hunted quite a bit.

Angie

Thanks for the replies. All great looking dogs. Great looking pup weathered. Angie B those are also the reasons I'm leaning towards the show bred. Now I need to start researching.

If you go with a show bred dog, just make sure that the parents have PROVEN their abilities through hunt tests and make sure that you talk to the trainer that did their basics. I get show dogs in that can do the work pretty well and I get others that will never make what I consider an acceptable gundog. A pretty dog that won't pick up the birds or won't get in the water does you no good.
    If you get a field bred dog, look beyond titles and find out what sort of personality the sire and dam have, how they are in the house, if they have noise issues or hyperactivity problems and again, talk to the person who did their basics. I get plenty of well-bred field dogs that are very talented and make great HT dogs with daily professional training, but have problems that would prevent them from being what I consider a quality gundog for an amateur trainer. A retrieving machine that you can't live with in the blind or in the house does you no good.
    It all boils down to doing your homework and asking the right questions of the right people. And never fall for the old "from good hunting lines" or "sire and dam are awesome hunters". Unless you've hunted over them, those claims mean nothing without proof.
    One man's opinion.
    Matt McKenzie

"Thinking is the hardest work there is, which is probably the reason why so few engage in it." Henry Ford

I would highly recommend Deep Run Kennels in Va. If you speak with Phyllis , she will pick out the right puppy for you. They have some nice english lines that are crossed with field. I have a friend that has one and I have seen quite a few run in the Hunt Test game under Jack jagoda. Nice dogs.
    Home of CH Shallcross Lake's Chaamp MH RA WDQ CGC
    Shallcross Lake's Little Rascal MH
    Shallcross Lake's Delaware Diva JH
    Four Star Molly MH
    Bob Louie

Banned

This will help you out with your research. http://thelabradorclub.com/

Angie