The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Gun Dog Broker
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Looking for a lab. Bench or field questions

Hmmm If I wanted a dog that I knew was going to cut it hunting, I'd go for a started dog over a puppy. With a started dog you know what your getting, you know they can do the job and have the instinct. Also if you like that bench-y look, you know your getting it if you look into a started dog, that has that look. With a puppy you never know what your going to get, could be a maniac hunter, might be a really nice couch potato. It could be a show looker, might be wiry little runt. With a started dog I can take it home and be hunting tomorrow, with a puppy you'll have to put in a year or so of puppy work before that will be possible, that's if the pup turns out. Yes with a good breeding you can hedge your bet, but you still have a bunch of unknowns. A started dog will usually cost you less in the long run, as the training is already there, and as they are older you can get a good idea of structure and health, sometimes they even have pre-lim hips, elbows etc. clearances already in place. Unless I knew of a special breeding, with parents that I'd been watching, and really liked. For a hunting companion, I'd go for a started dog, a whole lot less guessing and work for me.
    "They's Just DAWGS"
    "Hunting is a skill to be learned whether you do it early or late it still needs to be learned"
    "I train dogs, Not papers"

GMRH HRCH Quick MH (most importantly Duck/Upland Enthusiast)
    MHR HRCH Lakota MH (most importantly Upland/Duck Enthusiast)
    SHR Storm.. the Pup (Beginning Upland & Waterfowl Enthusiast)

Thanks, Great info.

I agree with this......
    Quote Originally Posted by Hunt'EmUp View Post
    Hmmm If I wanted a dog that I knew was going to cut it hunting, I'd go for a started dog over a puppy. With a started dog you know what your getting, you know they can do the job and have the instinct. Also if you like that bench-y look, you know your getting it if you look into a started dog, that has that look. With a puppy you never know what your going to get, could be a maniac hunter, might be a really nice couch potato. It could be a show looker, might be wiry little runt. With a started dog I can take it home and be hunting tomorrow, with a puppy you'll have to put in a year or so of puppy work before that will be possible, that's if the pup turns out. Yes with a good breeding you can hedge your bet, but you still have a bunch of unknowns. A started dog will usually cost you less in the long run, as the training is already there, and as they are older you can get a good idea of structure and health, sometimes they even have pre-lim hips, elbows etc. clearances already in place. Unless I knew of a special breeding, with parents that I'd been watching, and really liked. For a hunting companion, I'd go for a started dog, a whole lot less guessing and work for me.
    BB
    Sight To Sea Labradors
    Southern Cross at Sight to Sea SH "Crosby" (by NAFC FC AFC Cody Cut a Lean Grade)
    Tealwood's Willing at Sight to Sea JH ( by CH I am Able)
    Briarglen's Running on Faith JH (by FC Fish River's Out of the Park)
    Glendair's Come Home to the Sea ( By Ch Topform's Edward MH, QAA)
    Sight To Sea's Take Aim SH (by Sight to Sea's Southern Comfort SH )Aug 23 2003-Feb 2013 Go get em , Man!

Manager of www.DeCoverlykennels.com