The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Longtime Republicans torn between party loyalty and Obamacare

Default Longtime Republicans torn between party loyalty and Obamacare

http://www.cnn.com/2012/10/06/health...ction_ref_map=[]

I wonder if there are enough people switching to change the course of the election.

Key points I didn't copy the entire article.

Jill Thacker was dying for a cup of coffee when she recently ran into a 7-Eleven convenience store. To her pleasant surprise, the coffee was free -- as long as she would commit to drinking it in either a red Mitt Romney cup or a blue Barack Obama cup.

"Which are you going to choose, Mom?" her son asked.

Which, indeed. A gun-owning, big-government-hating Republican, Thacker's every instinct told her to buy a Romney cup. But Thacker, 56, and her daughter have asthma -- a pre-existing condition -- and with Obama as president they'll be guaranteed the ability to buy insurance.

Thacker stood in the 7-Eleven and stared at the red and blue cups, stymied by the choice they represented.
    How your vote affects your health care
    President defends 'Obamacare'
    Perhaps no other election has posed such a difficult personal decision for some conservatives: How do you vote if you're ideologically conservative, but you're benefiting, or stand to benefit, from the Affordable Care Act, often referred to as "Obamacare"?

"In 2008, health care was a very conceptual, a very theoretical issue," said Michael Traugott, a professor of political science and communication at the University of Michigan. "This year it's very concrete and real."

Some Republicans told CNN they would never vote Democrat, even though they might benefit from Obamacare, while others said they will switch their vote because of health issues.

"The real question is: Could defections in this group make a difference in states where the race is close, such as Virginia, Ohio or North Carolina?" Traugott said. "I think in those states it's so tight they could make a difference."

Several groups of people would fare very differently under Romney's health care plan than they do under Obamacare, such as those with preexisting conditions, which can range from anything from back pain to cancer. Between 20% and 50% of all Americans have a preexisting condition, according to the Department of Health and Human Services.

Obamacare tells insurance companies they can't say no to people with preexisting conditions, or charge them more because of their health issues. According to his website, Romney's health plan calls for "preventing discrimination" against people with preexisting conditions as long as they've maintained continuous insurance coverage in the past, but does not define what "continuous coverage" means.

Young Republicans could also fare differently under Romney's plan. According to the Department of Health and Human Services, some 3.1 million young adults now have health insurance because of Obamacare, which requires insurance companies to allow young adults to stay on their parents' policies up until the age of 26. Before Obamacare, insurance companies in many states took young people off their parents' policies at age 18 or 19.
    All success belongs to the dog, all failure to the trainer.

Asthma as long as you keep it under control is a non issue when purchasing an individual policy! Ask me how I know. When hubby decided to go out on his own as a consultant we had to do the own insurance thing and I answered honestly about my prior asthma diagnosis. I still came back with the highest rating you can get.
    Hihope Hiland Heathen of Perth CD, RE, CGC, TDI

People with bad habits etc should pay more!!!!

Obama used Romneycare as is model. Romney has said there are good parts and not so good. The people voted for it in MA, something we were not allowed to do Obama crammed it down our throats.
    GMHR Riparian Bearly Behavin MH QAA (FC AFC Rebel with A Cause X AFC Bams Liberty Belle MH )
    GMHR Gadwalls Nightmare (MHR Tanglewood Iron Dago x Wind River Poppin Pepper)
    MHR Highlands Bearcat (FC AFC Suncrest Bear X GMHR Gadwalls Nightmare)
    Croppers Gold Dust (NAFC FC M D's Cotton Pick' N Cropper X Hunka Papas Chardonnay JH )

People with bad habits etc should pay more!!!!
    Really.

Most preexisting conditions are not caused by bad habits.
    All success belongs to the dog, all failure to the trainer.

Let me ask you a simple question. Do you think fat people who are known to be at higher risk based on their weight should pay more??? I mean anyone can control their weight if they try!

Why would any insurance company charge someone with a known issue the same as someone who maintains good health?
    Think about it. Why should a person with a perfect driving record pay the same as one with a bad record?
    All insurance is based on risk!
    If a person opts to not have insurance when they are low risk why let them beat the system when they become high risk?

What I find quizzical is posters like Pam that are sold on the idea that there is a "Romney healthcare" that has been approved by the Congress, and passed on by the SCOTUS, such as Obamacare has. We keep hearing about a 'possible', and jump to the conclusion it's an apples-to-apples comparison, when at best it's hardly an apples-to-oranges comparison.

Romney/Ryan don't have a complete "approved" healthcare program...they have the ideas of the beginning of one they will propose. That idea will be hashed out along Constitutional lines...get studied...and explained before it becomes part of the administrations program to be voted on. It won't HAVE to be passed in order to know what's in that plan...the American people will know BEFORE it's voted on, unlike what happened a couple years ago under the current regime.

Furthermore, who says that some of the ideas from even the Obamacare, or the Mass plan won't be included in whatever gets hammered out and presented to the American public for approval?

Of course you can find the Democrats willing to scare the uninformed and the proletariat into believing what they are foisting onto the voters they want in their camp. That's to be expected in politics. Those that buy into the fabrications and prevarications presented by the left, need to determine why they are being led in that direction. What many think are solutions are smoke screens to gain votes only. Time to position your beliefs on informed knowledge, based on the founding of this nation.

UB
    When the one you love becomes a memory, that memory becomes a treasure.

got news for you...we ALL have pre existing conditions..if we didnt you would be perfectly healthy and not need a doctor

all kinds of reason that people vote the way they do..some are logical, some are mind numbing..I have no problem with someone voting a certain way based on long standing beliefs...I am more worried about the fair weather voter who can be swayed by a catchy slogan,or propaganda, or because they want to jump on the bandwagon
    All my Exes live in Texas

Quote Originally Posted by lanse brown View Post
    A few things that I learned still ring true. "Lanse when you get a gift, say thank you and walk away. When you get a screwing walk away. You are going to get a lot more screwings than gifts"

Perhaps Mrs. Thacker should consider this:
    ObamaCare only guarantees her to opportunity to purchase healthcare insurance.... NOT the ability to afford the insurance.

Also,
    I think Mr Romney declares his desire to repeal Obamacare...But will he do it? What does it take to get a law repealed? Or will he "modify" it?
    "I'm gonna lean up against you, and you lean up against me. That way we don't hafta sleep with our heads in the mud"
    Forrest Gump, 1994