The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Longtime Republicans torn between party loyalty and Obamacare

Quote Originally Posted by Susan View Post
    from CNN Health:

"A national health care consumer advocacy group estimates that three Americans die every hour as a result of not having health insurance.

According to "Dying for Coverage," the latest report by Families USA, 72 Americans die each day, 500 Americans die every week and approximately Americans 2,175 die each month, due to lack of health insurance."

--Susan

Damn, I'm going into the funeral home business...
    Bill Davis

Info RE: Families USA (the national health care consumer advocacy group doing the estimating)

http://www.24thstate.com/2010/07/fam...ting-seiu.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Families_USA

not exactly non partisan or unbiased.

**all things with a grain of salt**
    "I'm gonna lean up against you, and you lean up against me. That way we don't hafta sleep with our heads in the mud"
    Forrest Gump, 1994

Quote Originally Posted by PamK View Post
    You are fortunate that you are healthy and don't have to worry about this. But there are many parents with sick kids that have a hard time with this issue. Would you prefer that they just let thier kids die? Oh well not your problem? Bad health is not always something that one can plan for.

the cold hard truth is that its not my problem, just like my family's health is not your problem...I am a parent but I do not expect anyone else to pick up the tab if a catastrophic illness were to occur

We cant save the world..sooner or later each person has to be accountable for themselves and their own family
    All my Exes live in Texas

Quote Originally Posted by lanse brown View Post
    A few things that I learned still ring true. "Lanse when you get a gift, say thank you and walk away. When you get a screwing walk away. You are going to get a lot more screwings than gifts"

from CNN Health:

"A national health care consumer advocacy group estimates that three Americans die every hour as a result of not having health insurance.

According to "Dying for Coverage," the latest report by Families USA, 72 Americans die each day, 500 Americans die every week and approximately Americans 2,175 die each month, due to lack of health insurance."

--Susan
    Two "minor" things here: 1. they are talking about estimates without anything as to margin of error, etc., and 2. I'd like to see how they came up with those "estimates". With the data readily available to me, I would estimate that no one dies from lack of insurance coverage (that's coming up with that estimate using data about the circle of folks in my family and others with whom I associate (probably not a very representative sample)), and for all we know their estimate may be just a statistically flawed.
    Any doctrine that weakens personal responsibility for judgment and for action helps create the attitudes that welcome and support the totalitarian state.
    (John Dewey)

Associate yourself with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for 'tis better to be alone than in bad company.
    (George Washington)

Gig'em Aggies!! BTCO'77HOO t.u.!!

www.HughLieck.photoshelter.com

So what you are saying is that Romneys "47%" is a low estimate? More and more people wanting their government to take care of them. Here's my issue with all of it. In Utopia we would all be taken care of and all of our needs would be met. The problem is that this isn't Utopia and somebody has to pay for it. So the choice really is, do we want more of our money going to the gubment for them to decide how it's doled out or do we want to keep our money and decide for ourselves? I think it's better long term for our economy if the government stays out of most of it.
    "The thing I admire about the rat tail is that it takes commitment. It's not like one day you just decide you want one, you have to grow out that bad boy and you have to repeatedly convince the hairdresser to trust you because it's a great idea."

from CNN Health:

--Susan
    Interesting. Mary Kay Henry, President of SEIU, is on the board of directors of Families USA. Imagine that.
    M&K's HR UH Tucker of Texoma JH
    M&K's SHR Prime Black Angus
    M&K's Miss Jessie Girl JH
    Sir Jacob of Lakeview-Jake
    Freeway JYD

Mike Whitworth

Quote Originally Posted by M&K's Retrievers View Post
    Interesting. Mary Kay Henry, President of SEIU, is on the board of directors of Families USA. Imagine that.

Marvin S

Everyone's friend is No One's friend

Someday your life will flash before your eyes. It's your responsibility to make sure it's worth watching!

Quote Originally Posted by achiro View Post
    So what you are saying is that Romneys "47%" is a low estimate? More and more people wanting their government to take care of them. Here's my issue with all of it. In Utopia we would all be taken care of and all of our needs would be met. The problem is that this isn't Utopia and somebody has to pay for it. So the choice really is, do we want more of our money going to the gubment for them to decide how it's doled out or do we want to keep our money and decide for ourselves? I think it's better long term for our economy if the government stays out of most of it.
    To whom are you responding?
    Any doctrine that weakens personal responsibility for judgment and for action helps create the attitudes that welcome and support the totalitarian state.
    (John Dewey)

Associate yourself with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for 'tis better to be alone than in bad company.
    (George Washington)

Gig'em Aggies!! BTCO'77HOO t.u.!!

www.HughLieck.photoshelter.com

How about from Harvard:
    Nearly 45,000 people die in the United States each year -- one every 12 minutes -- in large part because they lack health insurance and can not get good care, Harvard Medical School researchers found in an analysis.
    Overall, researchers said American adults age 64 and younger who lack health insurance have a 40 percent higher risk of death than those who have coverage.
    All success belongs to the dog, all failure to the trainer.

Quote Originally Posted by PamK View Post
    How about from Harvard:
    Nearly 45,000 people die in the United States each year -- one every 12 minutes -- in large part because they lack health insurance and can not get good care, Harvard Medical School researchers found in an analysis.
    Overall, researchers said American adults age 64 and younger who lack health insurance have a 40 percent higher risk of death than those who have coverage.
    Pam - are you a bleeding heart? If you don't have something in place @ 64, whose fault is that? Certainly not those who made wiser choices .

Marvin S

Everyone's friend is No One's friend

Someday your life will flash before your eyes. It's your responsibility to make sure it's worth watching!