The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: I hate college, but love all the parties

Quote Originally Posted by Socks View Post
    Nice to have that big blanket to throw around for your statement huh? How about the people that do work, that do struggle, and have make it on their own? Oh that's right, they're just the chaff that fall by the wayside towards a better future. Jeez. And no I'm not the only one. I know lots of people like me. Heck my wife was like me, my best friend was like me. Most of the people in college that spouted off crap like this were the ones that Mommy and Daddy supported. Oh, and I would have loved to have more help than what I did, but I took what little help I could get and paid every penny back. Taxes huh? I've been working since I was 16 and I started out in some crap kitchen jobs so yeah I've paid my friggin dues/taxes.
    Both my husband and I worked our way thru college. Nobody gave us free money whether the gov't or our parents. We both did it without taking out loans or getting handouts. However I will admit that we both went for degrees that as we progressed thru them we were able to get better jobs that eventually offered us tuition reimbursment if we pulled down A's and it was in our related field of work. We had to stay at those companies for a certain amount of time after each reimbursment in order to not have to pay it back to the company. If you think that is having a big security blanket I don't get it.
    Nobody should be handed a free ride on the taxpayers dime! By the way I do not consider things like the GI bill a free ride. That person worked for their education by serving our country.
    I don;t even have a problem with student loans as long as they are at a free market interest rate and must be paid back in full no matter what, no BUMFACE exemptions for getting a gooberment job.
    Hihope Hiland Heathen of Perth CD, RE, CGC, TDI

Quote Originally Posted by youngblood View Post
    Hopefully you are at the least a dumb jock because those slots are reserved for them

Those who can't do, teach right? Actually no... I chose this PROFESSION (because it takes a degree... at my college the education majors must be head and shoulders above all other majors, even those amazingly hard business majors every Tom, Dick and Harry seem to be pushing themselves towards) because I see a progressive wussiness worsening in America today. I saw a few teachers who were passionate about your kids and made a difference. I also saw lazy POSs who did not care at all (like so many in other professions). I think that an individual can help make a difference in a student.... then a school... and ultimately a community.

.)
    Well that may be what it takes to get a teaching degree where you go to school but that does not mean that that is what is required to be a teacher in some of the largest cities in the country.
    I know a high school teacher in NYC that got their job with a ba in psychology and they teach high school.

They put up your kids all day for a salary that is below the hourly wage minimum.)
    That's pure BS! There's a reason every teaching vacancy has multiple applications.

Marvin S

Everyone's friend is No One's friend

Someday your life will flash before your eyes. It's your responsibility to make sure it's worth watching!

They put up your kids all day for a salary that is below the hourly wage minimum.)
    First they do not put up with my kids as I have none and just get forced to pay for what someone else bred and refuses or expects the actual taxpayer to pay for so that is pile of dog crap to me. They bred it they pay end of darn story. Second, a teacher in NYC gets a starting salary well above min wage with next to no q's.
    I have no clue how at least one teacher I know ever got hired based on their history and I know that history well as the person is a family member.

Quote Originally Posted by Marvin S View Post
    That's pure BS! There's a reason every teaching vacancy has multiple applications.
    I've been trying to stay out of these discussions. But I couldn't help notice the following in youngblood's post above:

at my college the education majors must be head and shoulders above all other majors, even those amazingly hard business majors every Tom, Dick and Harry seem to be pushing themselves towards) because I see a progressive wussiness worsening in America today.

Now I don't know what to think about that. Amazingly hard business major? A almost deposited my coffee on the computer monitor when I read that. When I was in school, the "wussies" that couldn't hack engineering went into business majors and thrived there. The calculus series they took was like calculus for idiots, and that isn't a guess - I helped a couple of friends through it.

But I will say that I have a lot of respect for many of my daughter's teachers that I have interacted with, specifically her math, science, and english teachers. They are doing a great job with her.
    "For everyone to whom much is given, of him shall much be required." -- Luke 12:48

Raven - Moneybird's Black Magic Marker***
    (Esprit's Power Play x Trumarc's Lean Cuisine)
    Mick - Moneybird's Jumpin' Jack Flash***
    (Clubmead's Road Warrior x Oakdale Whitewater Devil Dog)
    Peerless - Moneybird's Sole Survivor
    (Two River's Lucky Willie x Moneybird's Black Magic Marker)

Quote Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
    I've been trying to stay out of these discussions. But I couldn't help notice the following in youngblood's post above:

Now I don't know what to think about that. Amazingly hard business major? A almost deposited my coffee on the computer monitor when I read that. When I was in school, the "wussies" that couldn't hack engineering went into business majors and thrived there. The calculus series they took was like calculus for idiots, and that isn't a guess - I helped a couple of friends through it.

But I will say that I have a lot of respect for many of my daughter's teachers that I have interacted with, specifically her math, science, and english teachers. They are doing a great job with her.
    Some people didn't ditch engineering back then, early 80's right? because of Calc. Some people of a certain sex had 1 and 2 (the hard version) done in high school with AP exams. Some people just got sick of being told they did not belong there based on sex and long blond hair and rather than fight that non stop decided that a double major in math and accounting was a better path.

Driving impaired is not the commission of a crime.
    That is complete bul*^^) and you know it. It is nowhere near the same as anything to do with a concealed weapon. Talk to any family with someone killed or injured by an "impaired" driver.

Then choose a different career. If you want to be rich teaching is probably not the right direction. That business degree that you made fun of might be the right direction, or maybe even engineering.

If a student disagrees with the professor, the student failed. This bias is obvious in the class i am in right now. The more liberal friend that I studied with got 15% better than I, and this class is the first he has ever beaten me. If my brain does not mush into the mold that has become what is politically correct I will be caste out of academia.
    I write papers that the teachers want to read, I do not change my opinions. I merely cater to their needs to make them feel like they have changed someone to their thinking. I get good grades because I am smart enough to know how to BS a paper.
    My Father,My Friend,My teacher,and now My Angel~ 04/21/1956-03/21/2011 You will always be missed. I hope to learn half of the stuff you knew.

~Blessed are those who mourn for they shall be comforted~

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Glavich View Post

I write papers that the teachers want to read, I do not change my opinions. I merely cater to their needs to make them feel like they have changed someone to their thinking. I get good grades because I am smart enough to know how to BS a paper.
    It is so sad that you are forced to cave to their bs. Of course I bet you get better grades than I did when i told a teacher when they announced their grade curve the first week that it was a pile of crap.
    Said slimeball anounced the first week that an A would be an A- while an F could get a C for credit/ I told her flat out that was crap in front of the class and I was the bad guy.

Hometown: Rural Ames, IA. College: Maryville, MO

Where I am from it is very difficult to get a job as a new teacher or as a teacher period because of a surplus of teachers available. Older and senior teachers get preference (unless the district is does not have the funds to pay for more experience), which makes it hard for a new teacher with a fresh approach to education enter into the profession. Hence the abundance of applicants.

The calculus series they took was like calculus for idiots, and that isn't a guess
    I thought my sarcasm was clear but I guess not. I am in now way trying to put down business majors and I fully recognise the importance of this major, I just think that way to many kids are getting this degree to work a job that twenty years ago you could get working the way up the ladder.
    The snide remark I directed towards business degrees comes from my experience with business majors at my school. Whenever we compare class loads and standards (gpa standards, grade percentage requirements (in education a C is a 82.9%, others it is 79.9%) it is clear that the education college generally have higher standards. This is probably different at different colleges, but I am going off my experience.

The comments about wage are more accurate than many may think, but I did exagerate. Beginning salaries for teachers is 35,000, eventually moving up to 45,000 after continued education and experience. Starting out teaching is definately more time intensive than after teaching for a few years. Depending on how many different classes taught, prep time may take considerable time out of class actually teaching. Add in grading (not just simple multiple choice, but essays as well), teaching is very time intensive and does not have a huge payoff monetarily. Also, the fantasy that teachers get the whole summer off simply is not true. Prep for the next year, conferences, school meetings, and continuing education take up time in the summer, usually unpaid. The majority of teachers I know get part time jobs to try and supplement thier income.

If the goal of my life was to make money, I would get into the family business of construction. I have chosen my career path because of my ideals and the potential positive impact on students many teachers wasted at my high school. A few teachers were your typical post high school jock wannabe, but there was also a few who worked very hard and made a definate difference in students' lives. I am probably completely naive, but part of life is learning what is reality and what is not.
    Genesis 27:3 Now then, get your weapons--your quiver and bow--and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.

My daughter is a teacher she didnt choose it to make money . She teaches in one of the highest piad distrcits makes 42K a year and the pay has been frozen for 5 years now. She works all day has meetings after school, after school progarms she doesnt get overtime. Its a hard job and Thank God for Teachers!
    Last edited by gmhr1; 10-09-2012 at 11:02 AM.
    GMHR Riparian Bearly Behavin MH QAA (FC AFC Rebel with A Cause X AFC Bams Liberty Belle MH )
    GMHR Gadwalls Nightmare (MHR Tanglewood Iron Dago x Wind River Poppin Pepper)
    MHR Highlands Bearcat (FC AFC Suncrest Bear X GMHR Gadwalls Nightmare)
    Croppers Gold Dust (NAFC FC M D's Cotton Pick' N Cropper X Hunka Papas Chardonnay JH )