The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: I hate college, but love all the parties

Quote Originally Posted by youngblood View Post
    That's pure BS! There's a reason every teaching vacancy has multiple applications.

Where I am from it is very difficult to get a job as a new teacher or as a teacher period because of a surplus of teachers available. Older and senior teachers get preference (unless the district is does not have the funds to pay for more experience), which makes it hard for a new teacher with a fresh approach to education enter into the profession. Hence the abundance of applicants.

The calculus series they took was like calculus for idiots, and that isn't a guess
    I thought my sarcasm was clear but I guess not. I am in now way trying to put down business majors and I fully recognise the importance of this major, I just think that way to many kids are getting this degree to work a job that twenty years ago you could get working the way up the ladder.
    The snide remark I directed towards business degrees comes from my experience with business majors at my school. Whenever we compare class loads and standards (gpa standards, grade percentage requirements (in education a C is a 82.9%, others it is 79.9%) it is clear that the education college generally have higher standards. This is probably different at different colleges, but I am going off my experience.

The comments about wage are more accurate than many may think, but I did exagerate. Beginning salaries for teachers is 35,000, eventually moving up to 45,000 after continued education and experience. Starting out teaching is definately more time intensive than after teaching for a few years. Depending on how many different classes taught, prep time may take considerable time out of class actually teaching. Add in grading (not just simple multiple choice, but essays as well), teaching is very time intensive and does not have a huge payoff monetarily. Also, the fantasy that teachers get the whole summer off simply is not true. Prep for the next year, conferences, school meetings, and continuing education take up time in the summer, usually unpaid. The majority of teachers I know get part time jobs to try and supplement thier income.

If the goal of my life was to make money, I would get into the family business of construction. I have chosen my career path because of my ideals and the potential positive impact on students many teachers wasted at my high school. A few teachers were your typical post high school jock wannabe, but there was also a few who worked very hard and made a definate difference in students' lives. I am probably completely naive, but part of life is learning what is reality and what is not.
    OK so in NYC any idiot with any degree gets great perks to come teach there or at least that was the case 10 years ago. Many of us have been thru clueless teachers that should have been fired but tenoir trumps all. It was sad when I got thru an honors math class by tuning out said idiot and bringing my book and homework home for my dad to spend 5 minutes after dinner doing the teachers job.And how bad is this for a senior calc class, said idiot, who was not the teacher we all busted our asses to get from grade 8 ( our luck after 5 years he gets a job teaching college math) goes to summer school to take the class he is about to teach. It was so bad that we had a foreign echange student that helped us all thru the class and corrected said idiot daily in class.
    Hihope Hiland Heathen of Perth CD, RE, CGC, TDI

Lot discussed here.

Drinking age - 18 yrs old still not using good judgement probably best not to drink

18 and fighting in a war - should be allowed to drink - would be a shame to have died in war and never enjoyed a cold Coors Lite

Peel grants - more...more...more - if someone is motivated to go to school lets not discourage by the cost of school

Liberal when young/conservative when old - helping young folks become productive is good for everyone - not wanting to pay taxes when older is selfish, because someone before you paid to make your life easier...selfish selfish

Pot smoking - my fear of legalizing it is what it would do to traffic because no one would be in a hurry anymore

Quote Originally Posted by menmon View Post
    Lot discussed here.

Drinking age - 18 yrs old still not using good judgement probably best not to drink

18 and fighting in a war - should be allowed to drink - would be a shame to have died in war and never enjoyed a cold Coors Lite

Peel grants - more...more...more - if someone is motivated to go to school lets not discourage by the cost of school

Liberal when young/conservative when old - helping young folks become productive is good for everyone - not wanting to pay taxes when older is selfish, because someone before you paid to make your life easier...selfish selfish

Pot smoking - my fear of legalizing it is what it would do to traffic because no one would be in a hurry anymore

Are you smoking pot right now?
    Bill Davis

Quote Originally Posted by luvmylabs23139 View Post
    It is so sad that you are forced to cave to their bs. Of course I bet you get better grades than I did when i told a teacher when they announced their grade curve the first week that it was a pile of crap.
    Said slimeball anounced the first week that an A would be an A- while an F could get a C for credit/ I told her flat out that was crap in front of the class and I was the bad guy.
    It is sad to cave. I find no reason to argue with an idiot. I was told they will drag you to their level and beat you with experiance.

This only holds true in the liberal arts classes I am forced to take for my science degree. Never had an issue with anyone in those classes.

Same professor claims I did not follow her format and gave me a C. When I told her she was wrong she agreed and made it an A. Oddly at the same time my midterm grade was lowered.
    My Father,My Friend,My teacher,and now My Angel~ 04/21/1956-03/21/2011 You will always be missed. I hope to learn half of the stuff you knew.

~Blessed are those who mourn for they shall be comforted~

NOt smart enough to drink then far to stupid to vote!!

If a person is motivated they will be willing to pay for it. A pell grant is a free handout and requires no motivation but rather a gimme attitude. They need to work and pay for something not party on my dime!!!

I worked my ass off since the age of 15 nobody paid my way! I paid taxes back then remember I'm old enough to remember that nobody got a check from taxpayers.
    I don't bust my butt to have BUMFACE take what I worked for and give it to someone else. I have yet to see any " middle class" tax break be a tax break for me. Republican or democrat I've been screwed by both sides simply by being responsible.
    I can list a long line of bs middle class cuts on both sides.
    Dual income no kids end of story/
    A few:
    child credit
    child care credit
    PMI
    student loan interest
    cash for clunkers
    $8000 free cash to buy a house

Really????
    Hihope Hiland Heathen of Perth CD, RE, CGC, TDI