The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 27

Thread: Surprising FT numbers

  1. #11
    Senior Member EdA's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    6,695

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BonMallari View Post
    Very cyclical...some areas like Utah/Idaho are down in attendance while Texas has no problem having 90 dog Open's...also happens to be when a certain trial falls near a National...good judges- good grounds seem to attract large powerful fields filled with a whole slew of titled dogs
    Bon, check EE, 30s-40s in the Opens for the next two weekends in TX and OK. Entries could be larger closer to the NRC Championship stake in Texas but there is a dynamic in play I haven't figured out but I like the trend!

    And BTW condolences on your Horns upcoming loss to the Sooners....

  2. #12
    Senior Member Ted Shih's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Golden, Colorado
    Posts
    4,932

    Default

    My fall season has been chopped up with work and judging commitments, but many of the trials I run this time of year are smaller than usual.

    I wonder if the effects of the economy are manifesting themselves in trial size

    Competition does not build character - It reveals it.

    Home of:
    FC/AFC Freeridin Wowie Zowie (2003 NARC Finalist)
    FC/AFC Sky Hy Husker Power
    FC/AFC Freeridin Smooth Operator
    FC/AFC Freeridin Vampire Slayer (2007 NARC Finalist)
    AFC Freeridin Maserati (Double Header Winner)

    www.freeridinretrievers.com

  3. #13
    Senior Member BonMallari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    LV/CenTex/Idaho
    Posts
    12,529

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by EdA View Post
    Bon, check EE, 30s-40s in the Opens for the next two weekends in TX and OK. Entries could be larger closer to the NRC Championship stake in Texas but there is a dynamic in play I haven't figured out but I like the trend!

    And BTW condolences on your Horns upcoming loss to the Sooners....

    Wow...never thought I would see that...the fall trials in Idaho were 34/26 and 54/45 (Open/Amat)


    I like my Horns on Saturday because it is make or break time for both teams...don't like the way they lost to WVU, that was a bitter pill to swallow....
    All my Exes live in Texas

    Quote Originally Posted by lanse brown View Post
    A few things that I learned still ring true. "Lanse when you get a gift, say thank you and walk away. When you get a screwing walk away. You are going to get a lot more screwings than gifts"

  4. #14
    Senior Member BonMallari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    LV/CenTex/Idaho
    Posts
    12,529

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ted Shih View Post
    My fall season has been chopped up with work and judging commitments, but many of the trials I run this time of year are smaller than usual.

    I wonder if the effects of the economy are manifesting themselves in trial size

    with $5-6 dollar a gallon gas in California it has to have some effect on the west coast..Glad I dont have the Suburban anymore at fill up time
    All my Exes live in Texas

    Quote Originally Posted by lanse brown View Post
    A few things that I learned still ring true. "Lanse when you get a gift, say thank you and walk away. When you get a screwing walk away. You are going to get a lot more screwings than gifts"

  5. #15
    Senior Member Kelly Greenwood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Chino, California
    Posts
    873

    Default

    That is weird that trial entries are down when the Grand and Master National double header numbers are way up...over the next 3 weeks
    Dogs Dog, Handlers Handle, Judges Judge

    HRCH Greenwoods Sealion Tsunami MH QAA

  6. #16
    Senior Member Rick_C's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Ontario, CA
    Posts
    2,316

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kelly Greenwood View Post
    That is weird that trial entries are down when the Grand and Master National double header numbers are way up...over the next 3 weeks
    I don't think you can compare a weekend field trial to the Master National which is only once a year and the Grand that is only twice a year. There's what? 750ish dogs entered in the Master National? All going to the same place at the same time and over 400 headed to the Grand. Weekend field trials are spread all over the country. In general the hunt tests in this area were flat to slightly down this year versus last year.
    Rick Curtis ~ Now in Ontario, CA

    Little Man Caught It On The River SH ~ "Ace"

    Handlers Handle, Dogs Dog, Judges Judge

    "If you train a young dog for momentum, precision will arrive. If you train for precision, demanding perfection, momentum will depart."
    ~Rex Carr

  7. #17
    Senior Member wayne anderson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    loretto, mn (pavo, ga in winter)
    Posts
    290

    Default

    I noticed generally smaller Amateur stakes and normal (large) Open stakes this summer in Minnesota/Wisconsin/Dakotas. Maybe economy/gas prices affecting amateurs more than pros? One exception was 75-dog Amat at Chippewa a couple of weeks ago, but this was on grounds to be used by 2013 National Amateur, so may have contributed to some extra entries for a look-see at the "Swiss Alps" terrain near Mondovi, WI!

  8. #18
    Senior Member Rnd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Erie,Pa.
    Posts
    605

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rick_C View Post
    I don't think you can compare a weekend field trial to the Master National which is only once a year and the Grand that is only twice a year. There's what? 750ish dogs entered in the Master National? All going to the same place at the same time and over 400 headed to the Grand. Weekend field trials are spread all over the country. In general the hunt tests in this area were flat to slightly down this year versus last year.
    Not to highjack the thread but: Having been there in the early days of sanctioned NAHRA/AKC gundog tests Those numbers are absolutely mind boggling!!!!

    They told us at the time that the gundog movement wouldn't get any traction.
    May you pin all the marks and line the blinds!!

    Avatar courtesy of RTF"s TZAPPIA

  9. #19
    Senior Member Hunt'EmUp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    1,904

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rnd View Post
    Not to highjack the thread but: Having been there in the early days of sanctioned NAHRA/AKC gundog tests Those numbers are absolutely mind boggling!!!!

    They told us at the time that the gundog movement wouldn't get any traction.
    The NARHA Invitational is still pretty modest, but SHHHHH don't tell anyone, I enjoy the smaller events

    On the smaller FT entries, how many of those Amateurs are running the MNH or Grand? Some people do cross venues, Some FT Pros even cross venues. Couldn't that be a factor in the lower entries? 700-1000+ dogs heading to the deep south, you can't tell me some of them don't run trials. Hard to be training for and running trials, if your looking for a MNH or Grand pass this month, they are very different styles to focus on.
    Last edited by Hunt'EmUp; 10-10-2012 at 11:06 AM.
    "They's Just DAWGS"
    "Hunting is a skill to be learned whether you do it early or late it still needs to be learned"
    "I train dogs, Not papers"

    GMRH HRCH Quick MH (most importantly Duck/Upland Enthusiast)
    MHR HRCH Lakota MH (most importantly Upland/Duck Enthusiast)
    SHR Storm.. the Pup (Beginning Upland & Waterfowl Enthusiast)

  10. #20
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Prairieville, LA
    Posts
    3,919

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by EdA View Post
    Bon, check EE, 30s-40s in the Opens for the next two weekends in TX and OK. Entries could be larger closer to the NRC Championship stake in Texas but there is a dynamic in play I haven't figured out but I like the trend!

    And BTW condolences on your Horns upcoming loss to the Sooners....

    I am hoping for low entries myself. After a 56 dog Qual, they're all "Small".

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •