RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

Surprising FT numbers

7K views 26 replies 20 participants last post by  MikeBoley 
#1 ·
I was telling someone today that I noticed the weekend of Oct. 5 that there were a lot of Field Trials. There were 10. Scattered around the country, some in the east, west, south central and north central. I took the time to add things up, I was surprised...

Below are the totals adding up the dogs entered in all ten trials, on a busy weekend

Open dogs---------519
Am. dogs-----------397
Qual. dogs----------195
Derby dogs----------206

Total dogs entered last weekend---1317

Total for EE entries @ $4.50 per dog------------$5926.50

Total to AKC---------$ similar, didn't figure it out.

Total spent by contestants to get there and back and enter one dog
using a conservative $250 per dog----$329,250.00

One weekend...Not real scientific but close.

See less See more
#2 ·
and if you take out the dogs owned by Kippy and Dr Aul that figure drops dramatically......:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

#8 ·
No, just one of the contributors to that $ total... I usually try to pretend to not notice how much it all costs.

After talking to a friend about how many relatively small Opens there were last weekend, I added things up and was surprised. That's using conservative numbers too, the real total could be close to double the one I used.

#7 ·
Going back to BonMallari comment about entry fees
Would your club prefer to have the entry fees associated with those dogs or less dogs and more help?

#9 ·
The big money for EE is not with field trials, it's with hunt tests which often have more entries which mean more catalogs, more post cards, and more ribbons purchased from EE.

#12 ·
My fall season has been chopped up with work and judging commitments, but many of the trials I run this time of year are smaller than usual.

I wonder if the effects of the economy are manifesting themselves in trial size

#14 ·
My fall season has been chopped up with work and judging commitments, but many of the trials I run this time of year are smaller than usual.

I wonder if the effects of the economy are manifesting themselves in trial size

with $5-6 dollar a gallon gas in California it has to have some effect on the west coast..Glad I dont have the Suburban anymore at fill up time

#16 ·
I don't think you can compare a weekend field trial to the Master National which is only once a year and the Grand that is only twice a year. There's what? 750ish dogs entered in the Master National? All going to the same place at the same time and over 400 headed to the Grand. Weekend field trials are spread all over the country. In general the hunt tests in this area were flat to slightly down this year versus last year.

#17 ·
I noticed generally smaller Amateur stakes and normal (large) Open stakes this summer in Minnesota/Wisconsin/Dakotas. Maybe economy/gas prices affecting amateurs more than pros? One exception was 75-dog Amat at Chippewa a couple of weeks ago, but this was on grounds to be used by 2013 National Amateur, so may have contributed to some extra entries for a look-see at the "Swiss Alps" terrain near Mondovi, WI!

#21 ·
I was telling someone today that I noticed the weekend of Oct. 5 that there were a lot of Field Trials. There were 10. Scattered around the country, some in the east, west, south central and north central. I took the time to add things up, I was surprised...

Below are the totals adding up the dogs entered in all ten trials, on a busy weekend

Open dogs---------519
Am. dogs-----------397
Qual. dogs----------195
Derby dogs----------206

Total dogs entered last weekend---1317

Total for EE entries @ $4.50 per dog------------$5926.50

Total to AKC---------$ similar, didn't figure it out.

Total spent by contestants to get there and back and enter one dog
using a conservative $250 per dog----$329,250.00

One weekend...Not real scientific but close.
Just to get the facts straight, the $4.50 doesn't go to EE in total. In fact most of that amount goes to the various credit card companies who take 3%-4.5% of the entry fee (depending upon the particular cc) off the top before the money ever gets to EE. That means on an $80 entry fee, the banks take $2.40 - 3.60 before the payment ever reaches EE. Just understand that EE has never made a profit in any year of its existence with previous ownership or under the current Retriever News ownership is just attempting to break even IMO. At best it is currently a breakeven proposition.

#22 ·
so a $105 entry + $4.50 = $109.50
4.5% of $109.50 = $4.93
So entry express will lose 43 cents for every entry it takes for the Spaniel trial?? If they they use the expensive credit card rate?? hmmm clubs raising test/trial fees costs Entry Express money......

#24 ·
Financially speaking, smaller field trial entries hurt clubs. But don't think the competition is less when fewer dogs are running. The really good ones seem to still be in the running order.

Helen

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.