The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

Thread: yard work compared to field work

Default yard work compared to field work

1.how much time in comparison do you work on yardwork and field work? would you say half and half or 80% yardwork 20% field work? how should this work?

2. once a dog has learned somthing say obedience, ff, or simple casting, how do you treat it after it is truley learned? do you go back and do it again every week or do you leave it and build apon it?

The reason i ask is because i am training now, and it is extremely hard to keep adding stuff to training every week. i will do a obedience every day, then on casting for instance my pup is good on baseball, and single t, but i try to run baseball, single t, and double t, all in one week, along with all of her water work and it just seems there is not enough time in the day to keep piling stuff up. Should i be doing this or cut baseball and single t and run double t?
    Train,Hunt,Enjoy

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by dtmanring View Post
    1.how much time in comparison do you work on yardwork and field work? would you say half and half or 80% yardwork 20% field work? how should this work?

2. once a dog has learned somthing say obedience, ff, or simple casting, how do you treat it after it is truley learned? do you go back and do it again every week or do you leave it and build apon it?

The reason i ask is because i am training now, and it is extremely hard to keep adding stuff to training every week. i will do a obedience every day, then on casting for instance my pup is good on baseball, and single t, but i try to run baseball, single t, and double t, all in one week, along with all of her water work and it just seems there is not enough time in the day to keep piling stuff up. Should i be doing this or cut baseball and single t and run double t?
    Dylan call me when you get a chance. too much to type
    Marty Lee
    HRCH Daisey's Rambunctious Rascal "Rambo"
    Co-Owner HRCH Summers Gusty Breeze MH "Gussie"

Quote Originally Posted by dtmanring View Post

Until we are through transition, I spend much more time in the yard than the field. If I trained full time, I'd spend much more time in the field. After transition, almost all time is spent in the field.

Once a dog has learned something in the yard, you enforce that standard in the field. So you mention obedience- you would require the dog to sit, come, heel, etc. when commanded as you are moving between the truck and the line while doing field work. It generally is not necessary to go back to the yard, unless the dog develops problems in the field. You don't want to be working on FF in the field, so you'd go back to the yard for example.

What do you get out of repeatedly running single T, double T, and baseball? single T and double T are steps in a basics program that you move through to teach a skill to use down the road and that's it. There is no need to go back to these steps. Don't do drills just to have something to do. If your dog is through swim-by (completed basics), you'll get much more mileage out of effective field setups that build on the skills learned in basics rather than just repeating drills.

Quote Originally Posted by captainjack View Post
    Until we are through transition, I spend much more time in the yard than the field. If I trained full time, I'd spend much more time in the field. After transition, almost all time is spent in the field.

Once a dog has learned something in the yard, you enforce that standard in the field. So you mention obedience- you would require the dog to sit, come, heel, etc. when commanded as you are moving between the truck and the line while doing field work. It generally is not necessary to go back to the yard, unless the dog develops problems in the field. You don't want to be working on FF in the field, so you'd go back to the yard for example.

What do you get out of repeatedly running single T, double T, and baseball? single T and double T are steps in a basics program that you move through to teach a skill to use down the road and that's it. There is no need to go back to these steps. Don't do drills just to have something to do. If your dog is through swim-by (completed basics), you'll get much more mileage out of effective field setups that build on the skills learned in basics rather than just repeating drills.
    Pretty much times 2.
    Howard Niemi

You really gotta be careful about how high a pedestal you put your method, your accomplishments, your dog on. There's usually someone who's done more, somewhere. And they may have used a different method than you did! Chris Atkinson 2013

get your dog out and TRAIN! caryalsobrook 2013