The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Gun Dog Broker
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dog vests

Default Dog vests

Kwicklab said in another thread. "3. When it gets really cold the "dog of the day" always wear a snug, good fitting neoprene vest. "

Ordered an Avery Boat vest but the neck and chest measurement did not meet what my pups measurements are. It seems to me that the measurements don't work for any of the 3 of our dogs. There used to be a way of refitting wet suits for divers but I lost that method when I got the CRS so now I ask. Can we slice and dice commercial vests, then glue the back together? If so what are the recommended products for such a job?

Thanks!

Just to make you jealours (this from my laptop on our way to the middle of ND for 2 weeks of yeehaa!)
    John C aka jacduck

"Duck hunter's minds are like concrete. All mixed up and permanently set."

Yes. Use neoprene cement (glue). The same stuff for repairing neoprene waders.... I haven't found a vest yet that I didn't need to modify slightly to get a good fit.
    If I/we/you can't continue to advance our methods that focus on making training easier to learn/less painful for the dogs, we have no right to be training them. (Alec Sparks)

FTCH AFTCH NOREMAC'S UNDERTAKER (DIGGER) QFTR JFTR
    -2012 Canadian National Amateur Retriever Championship Finalist
    -2011 Canadian High Point Qualifying Retreiver

BARFLY'S DEADLY AIM (SNIPER) QFTR JFTR
    -2012 Canadian High Point Qualifying Retriever
    -2011 Canadian High Point Junior (Derby) Champion

I like the Cabelas vests. The velcro can be adjusted, and you can, for instance, make it tighter around the waist and looser in the chest by angling the velcro strips.

How do you know what is the right fit? I know it needs to be tight but is there a way to judge it for the proper fit?

I got the cabelas vest as a Christmas gift last year but never needed, it just was never cold enough here in Texas, and now that I'm getting it out in preparation for the coming season I've noticed she has put on some inches in her chest so I know if I'm going to be able to make it fit I'll have to do some trimming.

Quote Originally Posted by Charles C. View Post
    I like the Cabelas vests. The velcro can be adjusted, and you can, for instance, make it tighter around the waist and looser in the chest by angling the velcro strips.

I will be in the market for a vest for hunting the cold waters on Long Island. Never used one before. Are Cabela's features unique to Cabela's vests?
    "I love the rod and gun and where they take me."

Everyone's vest are unique to that brand. That being said if you can sew a little and have a little superglue then you can do just about anything to vest. What i do is get the one that will fit the biggest part of the body, making every thing else two big. Then cut and sew. You will want to remember to put a good bar stitch in there. Cabellas has them in already but i have gone past them before, so you just need to sew another one in. Just learn to sew and you can modify that vest to just about anything you want it to be. Oh and for the boys, cutting a little V on the underside is very helpful.

A few things about vest. The ones with armour flex for me is a must. I dont know if it works but i dont want to find out that it might of worked and i did not have it. Second the ones with handles to lift the dog i have found useless, but i dont hunt of a boat that much and when i do we have a dog ramp, but you might like them if you are boat hunter. Third are the floatation devices. I have never liked them, and actually returned the vest that had them in it because my dog would not swim right with them in, he would sorta just float around like it was a water park.
    Benjamin Fain

Gunner's Dad Thanks.
    "I love the rod and gun and where they take me."

Stole this from another site!!! Hope who ever i stole it from dont mind my sharing it but it seems like a great way to do it!!!

Tailoring a Dog Vest

Getting an off-the-shelf vest that actually fits your dog correctly (snug everywhere, but not tight anywhere) would be a remarkable fluke. Even with a design like Cabela's wide Velcro fastener that affords an inch or two of adjustability zippers don't, the vest won't be fully functional without tailoring.

The drill is to buy the correct chest size and break out a marking pen, straight edge, scissors and a can of "neoprene cement," like Block Surf (not Aquaseal or Goop or any other substitute), and go to work.

With the vest on the dog, pinch out the excess material and mark both sides where the pinched material meets and the tip of the triangle the pinch creates.

Take the vest off the dog, and using the straightedge, draw lines from each "pinch" mark to the "tip" mark, which will create the triangular "dart" that needs removed with your scissors.

Having removed the darts of excess material, you're ready to close the gaps they created. This is where using neoprene cement, which melts the neoprene edges and essentially welds them together quickly enough that it's no strain to hold them together while it works pays off. Other types of adhesives will require stitching to hold the new seam edges together while they dry and perhaps even for support. I have never had an unstitched neoprene cement seam separate.

You'll also likely need to remove some material that will otherwise chaff Pup's arm pits and an opening around a male dog's penis. Don't worry about cutting beyond the bar tacking on a vest's stitched seams, as on a properly made vest the stitching is really just eyewash for buyers, rather than necessary.

May sound complicated, but it took me longer to type that than it would have to properly tailor a vest.

Quote Originally Posted by mojon View Post
    Stole this from another site!!! Hope who ever i stole it from dont mind my sharing it but it seems like a great way to do it!!!
    No, I don't mind at all. 'Specially if it helps someone's dog stay comfortable.
    If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.

(And to see just how confused I really am, join us in my online blind at: Rick's 2012-2013 season log)

LMAO that is funny!!! Seems one hell of a coincidence that id just read it on another

forum!!!!
    Not to mention ill be using these tips for myself one of these days all too soon
    Last edited by Jon Shinneman; 10-10-2012 at 08:24 AM.