The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

Thread: New to forum

Default New to forum

Hey folks, just wanted to say hello and introduce my pup to you guys. Bodie is a 10 month old FT pup out of Ted Barker's kennel ( Willow Creek). He has great lines and is a firecracker to say the least. Bon Mallari was instrumental in helping get Bodie to me here in Texas and I give lots of thanks to him. I recognize plenty of other folks in here that I know from other forums. I am the central Texas dealer for Mud Buddy motors and Gator Trax boats and I guide for ducks during the season as well. Having said that, I may know a thing or two about a thing or two as far as mud rigs but I ain't anywhere near qualified to give anyone advice on dog training. But I may be asking you kind folks for a tip or 2 along the way with my travels with Bodie. Bodie first spent a week with Clint Avant just to size him up and see what we had. It was decided that Bodie needed some serious obedience training and Clint was about to leave for Minnesota so I needed to get Bodie to a local trainer that I felt could get his obedience/steadiness done as well as have him go thru a FF program and get CC'd. I picked up Bodie last week from Best Retrievers where he spent 3 months with Rody and his staff. I have to say that Rody, Kristin, Jake and Jennifer did a great job with Bodie getting him to a place where I had something to work with. No doubt he could get his JH title with ease. For the most part he is steady at the line but does flinch a bit . He marks very well and has an excellent delivery. We have moved to multiple marks and until this afternoon I had a problem with him picking up the Go bird as he wanted to run up to it and then break for the memory bird. Went back to basics with a 180 double drill suggested by Evan G after I pm'd him and by the end of the drill, and a little bit of attrition, he understood what I wanted. Anyway, we are on our path down the road to success and hope you kind folks don't mind iffin I bother y'all with a question from time to time. I trained my 13 yo lab, Bart, years ago with great success but this FT pup is way beyond my caliber of training and I may be needing some help ev'r now and then.

Workin with Bodie

welcome Rick, very nice picture of you and Bodie, hopefully we can shoot a few ducks over him this fall
    All my Exes live in Texas

Quote Originally Posted by lanse brown View Post
    A few things that I learned still ring true. "Lanse when you get a gift, say thank you and walk away. When you get a screwing walk away. You are going to get a lot more screwings than gifts"

Welcome to the forum!

Quote Originally Posted by BonMallari View Post
    welcome Rick, very nice picture of you and Bodie, hopefully we can shoot a few ducks over him this fall
    Would like that very much, Bon. Holla when ya hit town and I'll put some birds in our face

Default New to RTF

Hi: I'm new to field training and to this forum but liking it already. I've entered my 2nd SH Test in Brandywine, MD next w/end and am wondering if someone is familiar with the area. Would like a place to run my dog before the test. Also wondering if one can be moved down in the running order as I'm 1st Would love to be able to watch a few dogs run before me esp. with running the blind. Thanks all!