The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

Thread: BB Two Shooter or Thunder 200

Default BB Two Shooter or Thunder 200

Didn't find much info with a search. Anyone have any opinions on the two? Looks like the cost would shake out to about the same for a pair?

Don't really understand all the stuff with the Hawx system on the Bumper Boys, but not really sure I need/want those bells and whistles.
    Wildlife and Outdoor Photography

http://www.ericrutherford.net

Eric,

Get the Thunder two shooter. I got rid of my BBs and replaced with the Thunder 500. There are advantages and disadvantages of both but the Thunder is much more reliable. Apparently, you can conver the 200 to shoot 5 later if you need it. Next time we get together for a training day, you could try mine out, if you like.

I cant stand either one!!!! I only like manual wingers when my throwers don't have big arms!! Me and electronics don't mix but it probably has more to do with the way I treat them!!
    Just come down and train more often eric and we both would be better off!!!
    CB
    LUCK - WHEN PREPARATION MEETS REALITY!
    NAFC FC Cody Cut A Lean Grade "Grady" NAFC Paddle Creek's Pack Your Grip "Traveler"
    www.paddlecreekretrievers.com

Chad, that would definately help the situation for sure. Heck we got enough younguns' between us to run a quad. My two just need a little more yard work and obedience!!

Penn, I'd like to see them. Ben Hucks had a Thunder 500 we used several years ago. Seemed like it worked well best I can remember

Reliability issues aside, what do you consider the major advantages/disadvantages?

Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Duck View Post
    Reliability issues aside, what do you consider the major advantages/disadvantages?
    The biggest disadvantage with the thunder is that the bumpers are light enough that if the wind is howling they can be tossed around enough to have inconsistent throws. Also, I sometimes forget to hit the button the second time consistently and also get varying throws. Neither are big issues for me since I never get consistent throws at trials anyway. I love the sound though. Big and loud.

With the BB, reliability issues aside, the biggest disadvantage is that the bumper launches too quickly so by the time the dog hears the shot, it is already at the top of the arc. The flags help slow it so it does sort of hang there and the critters can usually see it, but it is sometimes tough at distances.

Both are shorter than wingers so they work great with my Malcolm to do retired guns. Both are small and light. The thunder is quicker to set up since there are fewer things to do, but it isn't a big difference.

There's a recent thread in the product review forum that I thought had some good info. If you missed it, check it out:

http://www.retrievertraining.net/for...-4-Shooter-Pro
    Renee P

Thanks DH.

Thanks for the link Mitty.....not sure how I overlooked that one, but it was very relevant ot my question

Probably the biggest difference is that thunder lets you use Dogtra or Tri-tronic electronics both of which can be used on wingers or bird boxes if you have them or plan to get them in the future. I never was a big fan of the Bumper Boy electronics. I always forgot to do something when I would set up a bumper boy unit and woud always have to make a second trip out to do something before I could use it the first time. I would like a two shooter BB if I could use a dogtra unit on it...lol
    Dogs Dog, Handlers Handle, Judges Judge

HRCH Greenwoods Sealion Tsunami MH QAA