The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Favorite mechanical wingers

Lets see pictures of the homemade throwers. I want to build some for our club. We can't afford zingers or train-rites. A little heavier than Zingers is ok with us, as long as they are bulletproof. How about the rubbers vs the shock-cord for club use? I would think the shock-cord would last longer. I know at our club when we get maximum throw from latex rubber, we break a lot more pouches. We have a couple with shock-cord and they seem to last longer!

Top Guns, none better.

The two wingers I have experience with is Zinger Winger and Gunner's Up. Below is my opinion:

* The bodies of the winger are very similar and about equal in quality. Both are light and sturdy with similar mechanics and good throws.
    * Both can be used with TriTronics and Dogtra electronics.
    * The servo is the difference.
    - Zinger servo plus is it seems more durable than the Gunner's Up and can handle manual releases better.
    - Zinger servo con is it needs a well charged electronic device to have enough juice to release the winger. This is a bummer when you forget to charge the electronics and can't use the wingers.
    - Gunner's Up servo Plus is it doesn't need as much juice to release the winger. Better when you have a low charge.
    - Gunner's Up con is the servo doesn't seem to be as durable as the Zinger. i.e. If you use them for a hunt test, you may have to replace the servo.

I think electronic wise, Dogtra releases seem more reliable. I have TT, but my buddies that have had both like the Dogtra better.
    Bubba Joiner

HRCH UH Ridgewood's Georgia Dawg (500 point club)
    HRCH Ridgewood's Gold II
    HRCH Hold My Beer & Watch This
    Hope She's A Duk Dawg

Here Ya Go Kyle!!

Just got home from Training.

I have two. with electronics.

If Ya turn the leg over when assembling,, the winger can be used as a standard Kick winger.

They are super durable. Excellent welds. That nebraska boy is talented..

The small aluminum plate mounted on the front frame is a plate I made to mount the tri Tronic Pro Controll.

Legs adust so you can controll hieght and distance of throw. They will throw live birds dead birds,, bumpers,, and Pumkins... Ohh and water ballons! and Taters...

Last edited by MooseGooser; 10-10-2012 at 12:37 PM.
    It is far easier to spit on the work of others than it is to produce something better yourself.
    Brynmoors Prairie Sage JH ​(Sage) Just a dang fool huntin Dawg
    HRCH Calypso Seven Bales High SH (Bailey)
    HR Calypso Zoomin Loosies Mad Hader (Maddi) We loved you baby. R.I.P.
    FlatLanders Broken Pistol Ricochet SH (Flinch)

My Christian Name is Michael Baker..
    I have gone by "Gooser" since I was a "gossling"

Quote Originally Posted by MooseGooser View Post
    Here Ya Go Kyle!!

If Ya turn the leg over when assembling,, the winger can be used as a standard Kick winger.

The small aluminum plate mounted on the front frame is a plate I made to mount the tri Tronic Pro Controll.

Legs adust so you can controll hieght and distance of throw. They will throw live birds dead birds,, bumpers,, and Pumkins... Ohh and water ballons! and Taters...

Very Nice I like it!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by MooseGooser View Post
    Here Ya Go Kyle!!

The newer versions of the Train-Rite release unit has a manual step down to release lever already built in so you don't have to add the other release and flip over the leg. That is basically what I made for myself,
    Dogs Dog, Handlers Handle, Judges Judge

HRCH Greenwoods Sealion Tsunami MH