The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Master National

Default Master National

I am attending my first Master National next week. Question

There are 4 flights

From my understanding it is basically 2 Master test, which means 6 series, right?

Typically in a weekend master test 1 handle on a mark will not fail you. Does this mean the unwritten rule for National 2 handles over the event?

Do all 4 flights run the exact 6 test?
    Last edited by TX WINGSHOOTER; 10-11-2012 at 08:44 AM.

While I have never been to a Master National, I can say that last year, all three flights ran the exact same test. The flights just rotated among the different locations where the series were being run.

With regard to the handle, this experience will be like nothing you have ever experienced at a weekend hunt test. What gets you a pass at a weekend test will not get you a pass at the Master National. (For example. Dogs that whine excessively at a weekend test could pass, but most likely will not at a MN). I think the same will hold true for handles. While you can get a pass with one handle at a weekend test, it does not necessarily think you will get the same result at the MN. But then again, we also know that not all handles are equal. Let it go too far, and have an ugly handle. Not good. Get a clean and quick handle, and who knows.

Good luck to you. Have a safe trip to and from, and have fun while you are there.

When we were running the Master National, they only had 2 flights and the AKC was having a fit about that! We passed it in GA and I think we ran 5 series with the two flights coming together on the last series. Since each flight has 2 judges, it depends on the judging how many handles, etc., but one clean, quick handle probably won't ruin your chances if everything else is good.
    4 flights - what a zoo! Can't imagine the size and manpower needed. We were only running one series every day or so with 2 flights. We did run pretty much the same tests as the other flight and followed each other around from test to test! Good luck! It is a great experience!

The fights will rotate through the test setups so everyone will run the same setup - providing they stay the week. But, conditions can change so much they can't be described as the "same test." With so many dogs in each flight it's likely you won't run two days in a row, at least early in the week. So do what you need to do to keep your and pup's attitude up. Judging standards that I have seen are consistent with the standard. I did have judges tell us to not count handles, just run our dogs the best we could and let them judge. Good advice.
    Good luck. Have a blast.

I wonder how the grounds will hold up after 700 dogs run a mark or a blind?
    Dogs Dog, Handlers Handle, Judges Judge

HRCH Greenwoods Sealion Tsunami MH QAA

Quote Originally Posted by Kelly Greenwood View Post
    I wonder how the grounds will hold up after 700 dogs run a mark or a blind?
    The cover will obviously suffer. The big worry is the parking areas if it rains. The roads will hold up well but parking in the fields can get dicey. South Alabama mud can be a problem. Stuck trucks make for logistical nightmares.
    Mark Land

oh boy, and i just saw i'm on the traffic committee.

Quote Originally Posted by fishduck View Post
    The cover will obviously suffer. The big worry is the parking areas if it rains. The roads will hold up well but parking in the fields can get dicey. South Alabama mud can be a problem. Stuck trucks make for logistical nightmares.
    Brings back bad memories of Oklahoma in 2001. That red dirt is permanent.

See you all there

Bubba
    There are three classes of people: those who see...those who see when shown...and those who do not see. - Leonardo da Vinci

Been raining hard here all last night and today too. Bring your boots!

Quote Originally Posted by fishduck View Post
    Deputy Bill and his tractor to the rescue.......
    Tom Dorroh