The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Scratch fees and scratch policies and complaints

Rochester, MN Bob & Ann Heise HiRollerLabs.com

Default Scratch fees and scratch policies and complaints

When you are entering an event, do you pay any attention to the Club's scratch fee and the policy for obtaining a refund?

There are some clubs that only provide a refund if the dog is injured/sick/dies or the dog is in heat. Scratch fees range from $15 to your entire entry fee.

What is a reasonable scratch fee to cover live birds (usually two), food that has been purchased to serve to attendees, catalogs, etc. Birds in our area run $12-$13 each.

Do you have complaints from entrants if you have to add judges to an AKC Hunting Test because the entries are in excess of the AKC's rules for splitting into multiple flights and the dog/handler is assigned to a judge that was not initially listed on the premium? How do you handle the complaints? Handlers are not allowed to "choose" their judges per AKC rules.
    Bob/Ann Heise
    "Show up. Dominate. Go home." Dan Gable

"There is no such thing as perfection. There is always a higher level." Dan Gable

"Look at pressure as an opportunity." Tom Brands

"I like to relax with a chainsaw." Tom Brands 2010

I don't believe in allowing wine to breathe. I prefer mouth-to-wine resuscitation.

Banned

Yes,,, absolutely.

Refunds for vet excuses only.. The help, birds, equipment has been lined up already to match the number of entries. For all other scratches they have to eat it.

If they complain about running under another set of judges because the stake had to be split due to entry size,,,, TOUGH!!! Hello??? "What did you think would happen if the stake got too big", whiny handler??? Hunt tests are non competitive and do not award championship points.. So it's a non-issue.

Angie

Our club charges $50 scratch fee for any dog that is not injured or in heat. We do not refund no shows. If the secretary or event chairman has not been notified prior to the start of the event entered no money back. We had a big problem with scratches when we only charged $25 scratch fee. We spent that much in birds alone not to mention the workers that we hire, food, shells and poppers purchased.

I think the $50 worked well for us. The number of scratches were smaller and the increase covered the expenses without the club taking a hit. I had no complaints from anyone on it.

I do look at the scratch policy for the events I enter. I never know what may happen with other obligations and I dont want to loose my whole entry fee if possible.

Russell

To answer your first question, yes I pay attention but to be honest if I scratch for personal reasons that should be on me and not the club so I am okay with no refund. Entry fees are only part of the expense for this game for a handler and as Angie said, after the draw the club has to make arrangements that simply can't be refunded, especially if the flight has to be split (extra judges, extra help, etc.). As far as complaints, I can understand a handler having a concern if they chose to attend one club's test because of the judges that were advertised but one must understand the club or hunt test chair has bigger concerns to deal with if they have an unexpected split.

If the bitch is already there and comes in season, do you still think that the club should require a vet certificate be be presented befor a refund is given?

john
    "i guess the old saying 'those of us that think we know everything annoy those of you that does' " --bobbyb 9/13/06

"A Good Dog is a Good Dog"

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by john fallon View Post
    If the bitch is already there and comes in season, do you still think that the club should require a vet certificate be be presented befor a refund is given?

john
    Good question John?? What do you think??

Angie

Quote Originally Posted by john fallon View Post

john
    Most clubs give you something like two weeks to provide a vet letter.

JS
    “Don’t wave your phony patriotism in MY face! If you really love America, open your wallet and hire an American kid to build what you buy. Think of all our problems that might solve.” Doug Fraser (paraphrased) 1980

Real Americans buy American.

Snowshoe's All American Guy SH, UDX, WCX ... CODY ... at the bridge
    CH. Snowshoe's Girl Crazy MH, UD, WCX, SDHF, OS ... PRESLEY
    ... at the bridge
    Millpond's Baby Boomer MH*** ... BABE
    Snowshoe's Crazy For Lovin You SH ... NELSON

Here's wording from a HT premium:

"As per AKC rules, tests will be split if Master entries exceed 60 or if Senior entries exceed 50 either day. In the event of a split, flights will be assigned by random draw and will not be changed after the draw. Please note on your entry if you are sharing a vehicle with another handler. The club reserves the right to replace, reassign or add judges as may be required. Refunds will not be made as a result of such changes."
    Tom Dorroh

The regs are very clear. Full refunds for injury, death, bitch in heat. Everything else is up to the club. Our policy is that refunds for extraordinary circumstances -i.e. military call up, serious illness of handler - are at the descretion of the Board of the club. Our premium specifically states the obvious that the club has the right to split stakes and bring in judges not on the premium. "You pays your money and you takes your chance."

Quote Originally Posted by HiRollerlabs View Post
    ...the dog/handler is assigned to a judge that was not initially listed on the premium? How do you handle the complaints? Handlers are not allowed to "choose" their judges per AKC rules.
    What is the purpose of a "premium"? Isn't it a contract essentially? If new judges are "assigned" handlers should be able to decline and receive a full refund.
    BUT
    Complaints should be directed to the Almighty Kennel Club so clubs can limit entries.