The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Gun Dog Broker
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Master National

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas D View Post
    Deputy Bill and his tractor to the rescue.......
    That tractor can be a life saver!!! Hope it isn't needed.
    Mark Land

There is 4 flights. Will not get 6 series in, but that is the agreement with AKC. Every year there is somewhat of a limit to run about 6 minute test. This year on quite a few test, it has been 8 to 10 minute test. Not good planning on Head Marshall or the judges.

NO, all flights will NOT run the same test! Lots of controversy over that. To make it worse for example, C ran the Having fun yet test first, the long bird up the middle flyer was the MEMORY bird, lots of handles. D group came over, the Chief Marshall's flight, and the tough MEMORY bird got CHANGED to be the GO bird. I asked the CHief Marshall about this, was told 3 different times, no test had been changed. Later, confirmed it was!! Also told by this person that AKC does not require all flights run the same test. Was also told if I can do a better job, to run for the board. I'm not from that persons region, and I'm totally happy with my regions rep. Told that person, if they can't do the job, they need to resign.

I've been to 5 Nationals now, and by a wide margin, it's my least favorite.
    our3labs

Who was the Chief Marshall?
    Tom Dorroh

You would think that all the flights should run the same tests or at least the same concepts, with over 4,000 acres available and experience running 6 or 7 different flights on those grounds that there is similar areas that the same concepts could be set up. While it doesn't appear to be a requirement from the AKC that all the same tests are run it should be a standard in events of this level, at a minimum all flight should be tested on the same concepts. Nothing wrong with good challenging tests and concepts but all should have the same opportunity.

Tom, if you look at Master National web page, under the premium, you can find it.
    our3labs

Quote Originally Posted by cbodine3 View Post
    You would think that all the flights should run the same tests or at least the same concepts, with over 4,000 acres available and experience running 6 or 7 different flights on those grounds that there is similar areas that the same concepts could be set up. While it doesn't appear to be a requirement from the AKC that all the same tests are run it should be a standard in events of this level, at a minimum all flight should be tested on the same concepts. Nothing wrong with good challenging tests and concepts but all should have the same opportunity.
    All tests had the same concepts, ie: all land tests were triple marks, single blind and honor, all Land/Water tests were walk up triple, double blind (one water, one land), and all water tests were triple marks, single blind with diversion shot on the way to the blind.
    Carol Hynes

Quote Originally Posted by Carol View Post
    All tests had the same concepts, ie: all land tests were triple marks, single blind and honor, all Land/Water tests were walk up triple, double blind (one water, one land), and all water tests were triple marks, single blind with diversion shot on the way to the blind.
    Thank you!!!!!
    Mark Land

Mark, how did your girls do at the MN. Hope to see you at No Ala hunt in 2 wks
    Karen

Quote Originally Posted by Carol View Post
    Carol

I think the word "requirements" is a better word than concepts. Most people think about training concepts when they hear the word concepts. If the same training concepts would have been put in to everybody's test, that would have eliminated a lot of the bickering. Our group didn't run a poison bird blind but some did. Our group did run two pheasant series and some did not.

Ray, you had a very good run at the Master National....Congrats on qualifying your dogs!
    No Whiners!