RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

Master National

11K views 30 replies 18 participants last post by  Ahinson 
#1 · (Edited)
I am attending my first Master National next week. Question

There are 4 flights

From my understanding it is basically 2 Master test, which means 6 series, right?

Typically in a weekend master test 1 handle on a mark will not fail you. Does this mean the unwritten rule for National 2 handles over the event?

Do all 4 flights run the exact 6 test?

#2 ·
While I have never been to a Master National, I can say that last year, all three flights ran the exact same test. The flights just rotated among the different locations where the series were being run.

With regard to the handle, this experience will be like nothing you have ever experienced at a weekend hunt test. What gets you a pass at a weekend test will not get you a pass at the Master National. (For example. Dogs that whine excessively at a weekend test could pass, but most likely will not at a MN). I think the same will hold true for handles. While you can get a pass with one handle at a weekend test, it does not necessarily think you will get the same result at the MN. But then again, we also know that not all handles are equal. Let it go too far, and have an ugly handle. Not good. Get a clean and quick handle, and who knows.

Good luck to you. Have a safe trip to and from, and have fun while you are there.

#3 ·
When we were running the Master National, they only had 2 flights and the AKC was having a fit about that! We passed it in GA and I think we ran 5 series with the two flights coming together on the last series. Since each flight has 2 judges, it depends on the judging how many handles, etc., but one clean, quick handle probably won't ruin your chances if everything else is good.
4 flights - what a zoo! Can't imagine the size and manpower needed. We were only running one series every day or so with 2 flights. We did run pretty much the same tests as the other flight and followed each other around from test to test! Good luck! It is a great experience!

#4 ·
The fights will rotate through the test setups so everyone will run the same setup - providing they stay the week. But, conditions can change so much they can't be described as the "same test." With so many dogs in each flight it's likely you won't run two days in a row, at least early in the week. So do what you need to do to keep your and pup's attitude up. Judging standards that I have seen are consistent with the standard. I did have judges tell us to not count handles, just run our dogs the best we could and let them judge. Good advice.
Good luck. Have a blast.

#7 ·
oh boy, and i just saw i'm on the traffic committee.

#12 ·
There is 4 flights. Will not get 6 series in, but that is the agreement with AKC. Every year there is somewhat of a limit to run about 6 minute test. This year on quite a few test, it has been 8 to 10 minute test. Not good planning on Head Marshall or the judges.

NO, all flights will NOT run the same test! Lots of controversy over that. To make it worse for example, C ran the Having fun yet test first, the long bird up the middle flyer was the MEMORY bird, lots of handles. D group came over, the Chief Marshall's flight, and the tough MEMORY bird got CHANGED to be the GO bird. I asked the CHief Marshall about this, was told 3 different times, no test had been changed. Later, confirmed it was!! Also told by this person that AKC does not require all flights run the same test. Was also told if I can do a better job, to run for the board. I'm not from that persons region, and I'm totally happy with my regions rep. Told that person, if they can't do the job, they need to resign.

I've been to 5 Nationals now, and by a wide margin, it's my least favorite.

#14 ·
You would think that all the flights should run the same tests or at least the same concepts, with over 4,000 acres available and experience running 6 or 7 different flights on those grounds that there is similar areas that the same concepts could be set up. While it doesn't appear to be a requirement from the AKC that all the same tests are run it should be a standard in events of this level, at a minimum all flight should be tested on the same concepts. Nothing wrong with good challenging tests and concepts but all should have the same opportunity.

#16 ·
All tests had the same concepts, ie: all land tests were triple marks, single blind and honor, all Land/Water tests were walk up triple, double blind (one water, one land), and all water tests were triple marks, single blind with diversion shot on the way to the blind.

#21 ·
Annie passed, Rose didn't run a clean enough blind in the 3rd. Thad did a great job with both of them. My thanks go out to Carol Hynes and Bill Teague for judging them all week. For that matter to all the judges and those who worked so hard to put on the event.

I will be at North Alabama for the o/h q but don't know if I can stay all weekend.

#22 ·
Ray,

NO one would know better than the Pro's, the difference between concepts and requirements.

In my discussion with the Chief Marshall, I was informed that AKC did not require all flights to run the SAME test. I responded that the INTEGRITY of the Master National event should require it. Told her that if all the flights could not run the same test on the SAME piece of dirt, that the flights should run the same concept on another site. Chief Marshall said that was not possible, she had been all over that property and test's could NOT be duplicated. The test that was being discussed was Double Trouble. The grounds are over 4,000 acres, it could be found. To prove the point, the water test, Give Me a Brake and Oh No Mr Bill were almost a perfect duplication of concept. The odd thing, instead of all flights rotating through those two test, not everyone ran it, but they did have Flight B run both of those test.

I know everyone worked hard to put such an enormous event on, and I appreciate all of their efforts. I hope in 2013 that the event is even better. I hope that we get to run all 6 series and all flights run the same test or at least concept. Good luck to everyone trying to qualify for 2013.

#23 ·
I would hate to know that my dog got dropped and other dogs in his flight were dropped from running a more technical test. Then the decision was made by someone who had the power to change it for the other dogs. That is not fair any where. My dog passed, 86, flight C.
I read somewhere where their was a concern about the test made too many changes their would only be pro trainers going.
I was trying to Qualify my dog at the Cattleranch. It got to dark to run. Next morning at 8:30, I was in line. Nobody behind me,my turn. A man came by and said we are running pros first. I said its my turn and no one is behind me.when he came back by he told me to take my dog and go run something else.Pros first. At 3:00 pm I was in line at the other Test and the same Marshall came on a four wheeler and said everybody is waiting on me.
Some things could be looked at, I guess. You will always screw something up. Next time it should be fixed.

#25 ·
i think his example of being bumped out of the holding blind occurred at a weekend test at the same location as the MN.

#27 ·
Not all dogs ran the same set ups as was done in the past. Lack of communication was a major problem at this year's MN. Call backs were not posted in a timely fashion. No one knew where the flights were going. Time management is important in all AKC hunt tests and says such in the rule book for judges. This was not adhered to. So, what was the underlying problem at this year's test?

#29 ·
The callbacks were done quickly and efficiently on the grounds the days I was there. The set up I witnessed move was running again an hour after callbacks. Signs were up and there were plenty of people to ask if lost.

There was an awfull lot of training off grounds during the test. Those people were typically out of the loop with callbacks and knowing where the next test was located. Cell service is good in the area with one carrier (can't remember which one) but stinks with the rest. My apologies but that is the case in many locations.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.