The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Gun Dog Broker

Thread: bugging of force fetch

Default bugging of force fetch

buggon ON force fetch....not of force fetch

I have a 10 month old YLF that I am going through force fetch with right now. I am following Smartworks and she has been progressing well. I thought I was close to transitioning to collar pressure (followed progression all the way to ground and she will do “fetch” “heel” “sit” progression as Evan demonstrates in video) but the last few sessions I have noticed her bugging.

She follows all commands and shows great enthusiasm for getting bumper in her mouth, but will often (over 50% of the time now) turn her head as far away from bumper as possible between commands to fetch. When command is given, she does not hesitate to obey, and does not turn away (only turns her head, not her body) until I take the bumper from her. It happens when I put bumper right in front of her nose or on ground (again, not every time, but it has been much more frequently the last few sessions)

I have force fetched one other dog (my avatar), but did him with toe hitch and never had this with him.

Is this something I don’t make a big deal about and just keep working through before I transition to collar pressure or is there something I should be doing differently?
    Thanks
    Last edited by obadiah; 11-12-2012 at 02:12 PM. Reason: error in title...oops

Quote Originally Posted by obadiah View Post
    buggon ON force fetch....not of force fetch

I have a 10 month old YLF that I am going through force fetch with right now. I am following Smartworks and she has been progressing well. I thought I was close to transitioning to collar pressure (followed progression all the way to ground and she will do “fetch” “heel” “sit” progression as Evan demonstrates in video) but the last few sessions I have noticed her bugging.

She follows all commands and shows great enthusiasm for getting bumper in her mouth, but will often (over 50% of the time now) turn her head as far away from bumper as possible between commands to fetch. When command is given, she does not hesitate to obey, and does not turn away (only turns her head, not her body) until I take the bumper from her. It happens when I put bumper right in front of her nose or on ground (again, not every time, but it has been much more frequently the last few sessions)

I have force fetched one other dog (my avatar), but did him with toe hitch and never had this with him.

Is this something I don’t make a big deal about and just keep working through before I transition to collar pressure or is there something I should be doing differently?
    Thanks
    If I'm understanding you correctly, the dog is doing just fine...the head turning is a response to the expected pressure of being told to fetch....If I don't look you will not make me do it and if I don't let you take it you can't do it again....Avoidance response...If she is turning and grabbing it ,I believe she understands the command very well...move on ...With out being there to watch you ,I'm wondering about the amount of pressure you are using ...too much will cause this response in some dogs...Give her some free fetches with out pressure to see how she responds...Steve S

This is another one of those times when video would be of great help. Any chance?

Evan
    "Prepare your dog in such a manner that the work he is normally called upon to do under-whelms him, not overwhelms him." ~ Evan Graham

“People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.”

― George Bernard Shaw

The Smartwork System for Retriever Training (link)
    http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...59&ref=profile

I'll see if I can get a video of it tonight. I've been mixing in some freebies...maybe need to do a few more