The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Need help! (Cold Tail)

It was my VET that suggest the coatedf asprin and metacalm Guess i better look for a new a new one.

Ebeneezer, I'm sure your vet is just fine. All I'm saying, is it isn't smart to medicate your dog according to what someone here told you. YOUR vet looked at YOUR dog and made a diagnosis and prescription. Just exactly as it should be done. I suggest the OP go to HIS vet and do the same. No harm meant.
    Carol,
    Owned and handled by Cruisin' with Indiana Jones, JH
    Alternate Handler: Westwind Buffalo Soldier
    Apprentice Handler: Snake River Medicine Man, JH
    http://newhoperetrievers.com

I have found that not all vets are familiar with cold tail and if they are not familiar with it will usually order x rays which can be very painful for dog and often require sedation. The. They might order bloodwork, the. Say sprained tail and then present you with a nice bill. They are doing sound work if they are not familiar with cold tail. Often the experienced field lab person is better at diagnosing cold tail than an average vet who has not seen it before.
    Dogs Dog, Handlers Handle, Judges Judge

HRCH Greenwoods Sealion Tsunami MH

Quote Originally Posted by Kelly Greenwood View Post
    I have found that not all vets are familiar with cold tail and if they are not familiar with it will usually order x rays which can be very painful for dog and often require sedation. The. They might order bloodwork, the. Say sprained tail and then present you with a nice bill. They are doing sound work if they are not familiar with cold tail. Often the experienced field lab person is better at diagnosing cold tail than an average vet who has not seen it before.
    I think most Vets are familiar with the average pet dog. Unless your Vet is "in" the dog games they have no understanding of what the dogs do there.
    John Lash

"If you run Field Trials, you learn to swallow your disappointment quickly."

"Field trials are not a game for good dogs. They're for great dogs with great training." E. Graham

My dog had it 4-5 times that i can recall over her 14yr lifespan. the tail tucks bewteen legs and when i'd try to lift it parallel with ground she'd squeal. the first time was duck hunting when she had super long smims i had no idea what it was.....and it just got better over time. The second time it occured on a pheasant hunt in SD when she was not in the water whatsoever, but in cold snowy weather with tail knocking on corn stalks all day. we went to a vet there, and were given Rimadyl - she got better immediately. As she got older, my dog had a Rimadyl pill daily for the last 4-5 years of her life....and she lived happily 14yrs-364 days. Try RImadyl - it works. - get a script from vet, and them buy it from 800petmeds.

My 14 month old has had is the last 2 times we've been out. Today he was normal and I crated him for the ride home. When we got home, his tail has been limp since. If this is like the first time, tomorrow he'll be back to normal. He's been out in cold water/temps one other time and didn't experience this, but 2 times in a row has me concerned. Is there reason to be concerned?

Last year mine got it once and I am not sure if it was from sitting on the dog stand wrong our not, this year opening weekend (first of Oct) he got it again which was not that cold out, last weekend we went out again which I was concerned since it was colder temp (both water and air) and he was fine all weekend. it's odd how it happens.

Crating them while they are cold and wet is believed to contribute to cold tail.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith S. View Post
    My 14 month old has had is the last 2 times we've been out. Today he was normal and I crated him for the ride home. When we got home, his tail has been limp since. If this is like the first time, tomorrow he'll be back to normal. He's been out in cold water/temps one other time and didn't experience this, but 2 times in a row has me concerned. Is there reason to be concerned?

Barb Gibson
    with
    CH Rosewood Little Giant UDX VER RA SH MXP MJP OFP VCX WCX CCA CGC FFX-OG
    also UCH HR UUD UJJ URO1 UHIT
    (golden retriever) born 3-10-07
    a.k.a. "Tito", "The Tito Monster"
    www.GoTeamTito.com

I have had two labs that had cold water tail a couple of times during their first winter of swimming during duck season. My vet prescribed a Non-steriodal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) to help with the pain. After their first winter season of duck hunting it never showed up again as a problem.

Check out this link, it references a veterinary study that was performed on cold water tail.
    To see the link type this search into google: "update on cold/limbertail july 2004" and select the woodhavenlablimbertail link