The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

Thread: Migratory bird virus ---H-1 H-5 Hunters/Harvesters

Default Migratory bird virus ---H-1 H-5 Hunters/Harvesters

Long drive home today from Klamath to Lodi. Was nice to get a little AM reception in remote areas. Got NPR and the topic was how a virus spreads. Bird Flu-Swine flu--etc...

According to the expert (dunno name, but very well spoken) most , if not all, come from migratory birds, and then mutate --blood born. The assertion was, that hunters that eviscerate their own game not only carry the biggest risk to themselves, but also are the most likely carriers for transfer. He was asked how is a hunter supposed to handle game. He evaded the question.

Interesting topic. I have seen many hundreds of dead birds due to avian cholera, but the pundit here says that is possibly a different issue.

His thesis was that migratory birds carry the biggest threat to a pandemic spread of some of are most "viral" viruses.

Would like to learn more.
    John Stroh, Lodi ca

There are two spiritual dangers in not owning a farm. One is the danger of supposing that breakfast comes from the grocery, and the other that heat comes from the furnace…........If one has cut, split, hauled, and piled his own good oak, and let his mind work the while, he will remember much about where the heat comes from, and with a wealth of detail denied to those who spend the weekend in town astride a radiator.

Aldo Leopold

No, the guy was a super specific expert on virus. He spent years with African sustenance hunters and stated he is not against hunting or trying to talk anyone out of hunting. He is just a scientist with a very specific interest with virus and noted the way most virus spreads is through migratory birds and through exposure to blood of wild animals exposed to virus.

It was a very interesting interview and made my ears prick-up too, Pintail! I was eating lunch in my car at beach front park only 20 minutes away from you... Next time let me know you're up here and i'll buy you a bbq pulled pork sandwich at our only good lunch place!!!

Jen

Jen, won't be back till June. I had a nice time--tough to leave! Salmon fishing was okay at best. The ocean bottom fishing made up for it! We had a very nice lunch at the Chart Room with my elderly parents and my wife. They stay at Camper Corral from May to October. Will take you up on that pulled pork this summer!

BTW--if you ever want a weekend get away (I know you are close, but might be fun any way) you are welcome to stay at the house. It is old, but kinda cute--especially for klamath.

Take care, John
    John Stroh, Lodi ca

There are two spiritual dangers in not owning a farm. One is the danger of supposing that breakfast comes from the grocery, and the other that heat comes from the furnace…........If one has cut, split, hauled, and piled his own good oak, and let his mind work the while, he will remember much about where the heat comes from, and with a wealth of detail denied to those who spend the weekend in town astride a radiator.

Aldo Leopold

Thanks John!!!! Nice offer. Chart Room is pretty good for lunch, too. Forgot about that.

Jennifer

Quote Originally Posted by 7pntail View Post
    Long drive home today from Klamath to Lodi. Was nice to get a little AM reception in remote areas. Got NPR and the topic was how a virus spreads. Bird Flu-Swine flu--etc...

According to the expert (dunno name, but very well spoken) most , if not all, come from migratory birds, and then mutate --blood born. The assertion was, that hunters that eviscerate their own game not only carry the biggest risk to themselves, but also are the most likely carriers for transfer. He was asked how is a hunter supposed to handle game. He evaded the question.

Interesting topic. I have seen many hundreds of dead birds due to avian cholera, but the pundit here says that is possibly a different issue.

His thesis was that migratory birds carry the biggest threat to a pandemic spread of some of are most "viral" viruses.

Would like to learn more.
    So does this apply when we are throwing the marks in the field or just if they are cutting the ducks up after hunting?
    HRCH Scaupgetters Tarnation QAA
    http://www.huntinglabpedigree.com/pedigree.asp?id=83047
    HR Blackie 2 CGN, WCI
    Metras's Hashtag Mickey
    http://www.huntinglabpedigree.com/pedigree.asp?id=83051

"Knowing how important right timing is in accomplishing right actions"
    Uncle Ray

Mary - This is what I understood from hearing the interview: the guy recently wrote a book about virus and how it's spread and said each and every flu virus us humans and other mammals get originated in migratory birds. The pig flu, the monkey flu - all of it came from birds. You can get these by just handling the infected birds and of course, by cutting them open.

Other virus can be spread mainly by exposure to the guts and blood. He said the AIDS virus hit the human populace when monkey hunters in Africa would cut open the infected monkey and be exposed to it's blood. This is true of lots of other types of virus - when hunters cut open wild animals - especially in Africa.

It was a really interesting interview and can be heard for free on the web site: http://www.npr.org/templates/rundown...ate=10-12-2012

It's called "The man who tracks virus's before they spread" The radio show is called Fresh Air.

Jennifer

You take preventative measures by wearing gloves when handling the birds and by not letting your dog lick you after picking them up.

I am probably an ignoramous, but decided a long time ago not to worry about such things. I do take some precautions in life against germs, but feel like there's no way to escape all of the risks that surround us. So I'm not going to go around in a plastic suit and mask worrying about stuff. I routinely eat my sandwich at a hunt test after handling several dead birds and wet dogs, with nothing to protect me, but a little hand sanitizer.

a few years ago the USFWS asked all of us that hunted the Cibola NWR to cut the heads off the Canada geese that were taken and place them in a ziplock bag and leave them at the check in station...It was done during the height of the bird flu epidemic...there were ZERO reported cases of the Avian flu from the thousand of birds harvested that season
    All my Exes live in Texas

Quote Originally Posted by lanse brown View Post
    A few things that I learned still ring true. "Lanse when you get a gift, say thank you and walk away. When you get a screwing walk away. You are going to get a lot more screwings than gifts"

H5N1 We had many Scaup swabbed during that time as well

DU has some info on the subject
    http://www.ducks.org/conservation/wa...r-duck-hunters
    HRC- Our season never ends

"Shoot fast or shoot last"

HR UH Nilsson's on a wing n a prayer SH WCX

http://www.cdc.gov/flu/avianflu/

FAQ for most anything you need to know..
    Last edited by Noah; 10-14-2012 at 07:25 PM.
    "A dog doesn't care how much you know, until it knows how much you care."

Rick W Jackson D.V.M.
    Gunpowder Creek Retrievers
    Dakota Decoy Field Staff