The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Gun Dog Broker
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Max5000

Eastern Shore of Maryland http://www.oakdaleretrievers.com

Default Max5000

Has anyone heard if Etch-Marc is going to devise some type of sound unit for the Max5000?

After using the BB these last 2 weekends with my training group, I really wish the Max had sound

Vicky

I have the new pro control from Tritronics for my Strongarms. Is the sound of the new Tritronics remotes anywhere close to what a Bumper Boy has? I've never seen a Bumper Boy and I've used my Strongarms for so long without any sound at all, I kind of think the sound on the pro control is a decent feature. 'Course I've never heard any of the others. Could someone tell me what the difference between the Tritronics sound and the Bumper Boy sound is?
    Howard Niemi

You really gotta be careful about how high a pedestal you put your method, your accomplishments, your dog on. There's usually someone who's done more, somewhere. And they may have used a different method than you did! Chris Atkinson 2013

get your dog out and TRAIN! caryalsobrook 2013

Howard,

I have yet to train with the new TTs, but the BB has a realistic, duck, quack, goose honk, or human hey hey.

A.

You couldn't call the buzzer sounding thing on the pro control realistic. It might be something like the sound I make when I'm throwing and popping for a hunt test guy though.

Like I said above, after training for so long without sound I think having something is pretty neat.
    Howard Niemi

You really gotta be careful about how high a pedestal you put your method, your accomplishments, your dog on. There's usually someone who's done more, somewhere. And they may have used a different method than you did! Chris Atkinson 2013

get your dog out and TRAIN! caryalsobrook 2013

that would be a nice feature for MAX. our group has had 2 MAX's for over a year and just got a bb this past month.. the ONLY thing we like about bb is the sound..

Default MAX COMMENTS PLEASE

Hi,

I've seen a Max5000 in use, but have heard a lot of comments that go something along the lines of "they are great when they are working but...." .. ( comments like they break or malfunction frequently??).

Would like to hear more feedback about specific problems, difficulty/expense of repairs and/or any weather specific issues (i.e. cold or rain).

Also, has anyone used the MAX with any electronics other than Dogtra or TT?

Thanks in advance for any comments (positive or negative).

Default Re: MAX COMMENTS PLEASE

Quote Originally Posted by Normal
    Hi,

I've seen a Max5000 in use, but have heard a lot of comments that go something along the lines of "they are great when they are working but...." .. ( comments like they break or malfunction frequently??).

Would like to hear more feedback about specific problems, difficulty/expense of repairs and/or any weather specific issues (i.e. cold or rain).

Also, has anyone used the MAX with any electronics other than Dogtra or TT?

Thanks in advance for any comments (positive or negative).
    Have a couple of Max's. I don't use them as much as my Zinger Wingers, Tangelo Tossers or Shur-Toss launchers, but they do come in handy for setups where the dog may get lost (can launch additional bumpers to help), I also use them where I want to repeat a mark and have it thrown exactly the same way (e.g. cheating singles).

I've never had a mechanical problem with my Max units. I use them with TT Pro-Control electronics. The attention getting sound is not realistic, but it does get the dog's attention, which is really all that matters IMO (though it would be nice to have the capability to have the unit yell hey! hey!

A couple of years ago a guy at a Hunt Test told me he strapped walkie talkies (on different channels) to his launchers and could give his dogs a hey! hey! using the radios to get the dog's attention. Has anyone tried this with success?
    Jeff Telander
    Durham, NC

FC AFC CT Broad Reach Devil Made Me Doit "Sinner"

Forever in my heart
    OTCh Broad Reach Diesel TD MH UDX2***
    CH Broad Reach Gripper UD MH
    OTCh R Labs Darth Wader TD JH
    OTCh Teracroft Topaz TD JH

Howard,

What Anthony said is correct.
    The TT Pro Control "sound" is a buzzing type sound. Not realistic and difficult to hear at a distance....... 100 yards or so. I can't hear it. Dogs do seem to pick it up sometimes, if the wind is helping.
    <--- Dooey, MH
    MHR Duckmates Fly Guy MH 05/17/94 - 07/17/08 "Flyboy"
    Candlewood Court Magician JH 1/31/02 - 8/2/12 "Magic Man"

Richard

I use the Dogtra remote with the beeping sound as an attention getter.

I'd be concerned about using the duck/pheasant to get their attention, wouldn't it cause an increase in head swinging?

Normal,
    I have had a MAX for two years now... also a friend in our training group has had his for almost exactly the same amount of time..
    periodically you have to adjust the turret, silicone the plungers on the valves, charge it, and keep gas in it... our experience has been very good.. we use them almost daily..
    I also have a BB and so far it has been fine also.. I would be hard pressed to give a preference. they each have their advantages..
    I will say the people at Etch Marc that sell the MAX's are first rate and very helpful. I understand that BB is getting better in that department.

BB+ sound and throws a higher quality, easier to see bumper.
    MAX+ much quicker to set up and reload, dealer/manufacturer