The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: K9 Kondo ?

NW Panhandle of Florida, The Redneck Riviera

Default K9 Kondo ?

Does anyone here use any of the dog house that are made by this company? http://www.k-9kondo.com

If so, what are your opinions on them?

I have been using "Ruff" houses for about 2 1/2 years and have had 3 destroyed in that time period. I am considering getting the Circle Den or the original K9 Kondo. Any suggestions?

Cray

My friend has 4 Condos, the barrel kind. He's had them for about 3 years and 2 of his dogs are chewers. They work pretty good. Even the black mutt will go inside them...

FOM

Thanks Lainee.

I am considering the barrel kind and the circle den. The circle has insulation...don't know that it would be a benefit over the barrels in the milder winters we have here. I like the platform that they have on the barrel type too.

Cray

We would throw straw into the barrels in the winter, the dogs seemed to stay warm enough. We also used plastic barrels rather than metal ones because the metal gets too hot in the summer.

FOM

Default Kondo

I have the regular Kondo and the dog loves it. Easy to assemble and stays cleen. In the summer he's on top and winter he's inside. Has insulation also. The only thing I had to modify is the latch to keep the roof on. It is at eye level on the outside of the Kondo. The Kondo is inside the kennel and there is enough room for him to squeeze between the kennel fence and the Kondo. Maybe dangerous, maybe not but I took it off. The one I have you can pay 20 bucks and get it partially assembled. It's worth it.

Banned

Hey Cray,

I use the barrels. The dogs really love them.

BUT I didn't spend that much on them.

I did buy some food grade plastic 55 gal barrels from my feed store. Took a jigsaw to the end of them and cut off 2/3 of the end with a small lip to keep the straw I put in them from spilling out.

Then I built a small stand for them to set in. Drilled two holes in the bottom so that if for any reason the dogs get a bunch of water in them they drain. Also the stands are high enough so I can hose under them when I clean kennels.

When it is all said and done I have abut $15 per doghouse.

WRL

sure you can find the blue barrels here in kentucky since you see em everywhere housing the states finest fightin' roosters.
    Join Central Ky Hunting Retriever Association www.ckhra.com

Quote Originally Posted by Ashes
    sure you can find the blue barrels here in kentucky since you see em everywhere housing the states finest fightin' roosters.

HEHEhehehehehehe, just up the road Derek!

Quote Originally Posted by WRL
    Hey Cray,

I use the barrels. The dogs really love them.

BUT I didn't spend that much on them.

I did buy some food grade plastic 55 gal barrels from my feed store. Took a jigsaw to the end of them and cut off 2/3 of the end with a small lip to keep the straw I put in them from spilling out.

Then I built a small stand for them to set in. Drilled two holes in the bottom so that if for any reason the dogs get a bunch of water in them they drain. Also the stands are high enough so I can hose under them when I clean kennels.

When it is all said and done I have abut $15 per doghouse.

WRL

Lee,

Do you have problems with anyone chewing the houses/barrels? I've seen people use them like you described and see them get flattened by dogs laying on them, I've also seen a few people chain them to the fence about 2 ft off the concrete.

I was looking at these because they are guaranteed to be chew proof.

Thanks
    Cray

Banned

These barrels are not likely to be flattened by the dogs....MAYBE an elephant stepping on them. I would bet they are close to an inch thick.

Yeah a couple dogs chew on them but it would take them 100 years to destroy them.

The barrels I use are black. Maybe they are thicker than the blue ones.

WRL