The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 8 of 27 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Thread: Security at the Libyan Embassy in Benghazi

Quote Originally Posted by JDogger View Post
    There seems to be some confusion about what is an embassy and what is a consulate. Also some confusion about Navy Seals and former Navy Seals.
    I didn't know there was such a thing as a "former" Navy Seal. As far as I know once a Seal always a Seal.
    Hihope Hiland Heathen of Perth CD, RE, CGC, TDI

There seems to be some confusion about what is an embassy and what is a consulate. Also some confusion about Navy Seals and former Navy Seals.
    Since both entities are on the representative nations soviern ground, and either an Ambassador or a Counsel requested help from an eminent attack,
    Please explain to gooser what difference it makes?
    It is far easier to spit on the work of others than it is to produce something better yourself.
    Brynmoors Prairie Sage JH ​(Sage) Just a dang fool huntin Dawg
    HRCH Calypso Seven Bales High SH (Bailey)
    HR Calypso Zoomin Loosies Mad Hader (Maddi) We loved you baby. R.I.P.
    HRCH FlatLanders Broken Pistol Ricochet SH (Flinch)

My Christian Name is Michael Baker..
    I have gone by "Gooser" since I was a "gossling"

I don't know where the AC-130 aircraft were but the fact that they didn't try to get them in the fight is telling. The AC-130 comes in several variants and some would have been spectacular for this (AC-130W/Stinger II) and some less so. Which ones were where, we dunno.

All special air operations are controlled out of Hurlburt Field, FL. So, the mission would go something like the Sec of State asking for help, the President tasking the DoD to come up with a plan, the DoD tasking the AF Special Ops Command to develop a plan, AFSOC looking at the assets in Europe and coming up with a plan. Then comes the approval process, the reverse of the tasking. Once the President approves the plan, the word "go" is given. All of this can be done in a reasonably short time but it would take a couple of hours. I was very tangentially with the planning of Operation El Dorado Canyon which took about a week. The days of "Top Gun" and "kick the tires, light the fires, first one in the air is the leader" are gone.

The AC-130 (all variants) cruise at about 300 mph. If they were located at Ramstein or Rhein-Mein air bases in Germany, they'd have had about a 4 hour flight just to get there. Some mission planning could have been done enroute but, some things need to be done before they even lift off...like fueling and arming. The days of having armed and fueled aircraft sitting at the end of the runway for 5 minute launch are gone.

All told, it probably would have taken 5-6 hours to have the right aircraft overhead and in a position to do some good. However, the fact that they didn't even try to get the consulate some help is rather shameful. President Obama talks about the US as still the most powerful nation on earth but what good is that if we won't use it?

I guess what I'm saying is that if we think of two timelines, one for the time it would take to get aircraft overhead and one that describes the length of time they would be under attack, there's no way to know how long the latter would go on but we could calculate the former. Since the latter could well have been a very extended time, why was no effort expended to complete the former timeline?
    Last edited by Eric Johnson; 10-30-2012 at 05:28 PM.
    Eric

WRC HR Lennoxlove's Run with Wolves JH, WCX ("Cheyenne") ... still so fondly remembered
    HRCh Struan's Devil's in De Tails SH, WCX ("Lucy") ... as is her daughter
    SR CH Struan's Flight of Fancy JH ("Muse")
    Struan's Master of the Hunt JH, WC ("Charlie")
    Struan's Just Plain Perfect ("Jane")
    Struan's Driving Us Crazy ("Daisy") ... the baby in charge

The irrigation canal formaly known as the Rio Grande

Quote Originally Posted by MooseGooser View Post
    Since both entities are on the representative nations soviern ground, and either an Ambassador or a Counsel requested help from an eminent attack,
    Please explain to gooser what difference it makes?
    Google is your friend /
    One cannot reason someone out of something they were not reasoned into. - Jonathan Swift

Google is your friend /

I DID Google it!! What the Hell,, Ya think Gooser just knows this sh&%!

Google told me they was the same,, One deals with Government,, the other deals with Trade..

But,, they is both soviern Ground,, supported by representative nations citizens,, So you tell me,, Are you insinuating one gets protection,, and the udder donts??

Or does one have the Wallstreet gurus as protection,, and the Udder have the U.S. Government...

Please help Gooser out...

Gooser
    It is far easier to spit on the work of others than it is to produce something better yourself.
    Brynmoors Prairie Sage JH ​(Sage) Just a dang fool huntin Dawg
    HRCH Calypso Seven Bales High SH (Bailey)
    HR Calypso Zoomin Loosies Mad Hader (Maddi) We loved you baby. R.I.P.
    HRCH FlatLanders Broken Pistol Ricochet SH (Flinch)

My Christian Name is Michael Baker..
    I have gone by "Gooser" since I was a "gossling"

Great call Jdogger!!!

#1--Once a Seal always a Seal.
    You probably wouldn't understand!!

#2--In regard to confusion, let's see if I can help:

spon·ta·ne·ous/spänˈtānēəs/

Adjective

1.Performed or occurring without premeditation or external stimulus
    planned n.
    1. A scheme, program, or method worked out beforehand for the accomplishment of an objective: a plan of attack
    There, maybe that will help where it REALLY counts!!!
    Stan b & Elvis

Quote Originally Posted by Franco View Post
    Before the mob hangs anyone, I think we owe it to the accused to find out what the truth is.

I just did a Google search and even the Libian press in't covering this accusation. Other then Fox News and kooks like Beck, no one has been able to substantiate the alleged story!

Again, if this information is true, then why was it leaked only to Fox and not the bigger media outlets? Why haven't the other media outlets been able to verify this information by now?

I don't care for Obama or Romney but, I am interested in the truth!

If the information is true, then I expect Obama to go down. And, if the information is false, then I expect Fox News to lose their lisence to broadcast in the USA.
    Franco, what we have here are several severe cases of Obama derangement syndrome. And didn't you realize that there is no law against a "news outlet" lying? Faux News asserted that argument, and won... You should be able to find something about it with Google.
    "For everyone to whom much is given, of him shall much be required." -- Luke 12:48

Raven - Moneybird's Black Magic Marker***
    (Esprit's Power Play x Trumarc's Lean Cuisine)
    Mick - Moneybird's Jumpin' Jack Flash***
    (Clubmead's Road Warrior x Oakdale Whitewater Devil Dog)
    Peerless - Moneybird's Sole Survivor
    (Two River's Lucky Willie x Moneybird's Black Magic Marker)

Quote Originally Posted by Buzz View Post

Franco, what we have here are several severe cases of Obama derangement syndrome. And didn't you realize that there is no law against a "news outlet" lying? Faux News asserted that argument, and won... You should be able to find something about it with Google.
    I meant to say that they asserted that argument in court. Don't know how to edit a post in the mobile forum software on my iPhone so I had to reply to my own post... What a pita.
    "For everyone to whom much is given, of him shall much be required." -- Luke 12:48

Raven - Moneybird's Black Magic Marker***
    (Esprit's Power Play x Trumarc's Lean Cuisine)
    Mick - Moneybird's Jumpin' Jack Flash***
    (Clubmead's Road Warrior x Oakdale Whitewater Devil Dog)
    Peerless - Moneybird's Sole Survivor
    (Two River's Lucky Willie x Moneybird's Black Magic Marker)

Quote Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
    These are the only two stories I could find disputing Fox News.
    http://www.examiner.com/article/four...-benghazi-gate

http://news.yahoo.com/pentagon-denie...124552273.html

I do know that cable news is not held to the same standards as broadcast news because of the FCC. THe FCC only oversees broadcast stations and not cable. Probably why the big news outlets(broadcast) didn't touch it. Had they been able to confirm reputable sources then they would have been all over it.

However, all media is subject to liable and defamation. Which is why Fox dumped Beck. He was a loose cannon that made crap up on the fly. If this story proves to be a farce, will Hannity be next?

I don't watch Fox News and am wondering if Romney has been a guest on O'Reilly or Hannity in the last several months? Just like he avoids Rush like the plague, so credit Romney with that. I would imagine he has stayed away from those two just like he stayed away from THE story.

Hannity to his story's source..
    Last edited by Franco; 10-30-2012 at 10:03 PM.
    I am tired of letting Republicans and Tea Party supporters co-opt the term "conservative". Republicans are not conservatives... they are radical fundamentalists and we should be referring to them as such....Libertarian blogger

Quote Originally Posted by Franco View Post
    These are the only two stories I could find disputing Fox News.
    http://www.examiner.com/article/four...-benghazi-gate

http://news.yahoo.com/pentagon-denie...124552273.html

I do know that cable news is not held to the same standards as broadcast news because of the FCC. THe FCC only oversees broadcast stations and not cable. Probably why the big news outlets(broadcast) didn't touch it. Had they been able to confirm reputable sources then they would have been all over it.

However, all media is subject to liable and defamation. Which is why Fox dumped Beck. He was a loose cannon that made crap up on the fly. If this story proves to be a farce, will Hannity be next?

I don't watch Fox News and am wondering if Romney has been a guest on O'Reilly or Hannity in the last several months? Just like he avoids Rush like the plague, so credit Romney with that. I would imagine he has stayed away from those two just like he stayed away from THE story.

Hannity to his story's source..
    Bill was complaining tonight that he couldn't get Romney to come on his show. Rush doesn't have guests. If you listened/watched some of the other programs, maybe you would actually know everything you think you know.
    M&K's HR UH Tucker of Texoma JH
    M&K's SHR Prime Black Angus
    M&K's Miss Jessie Girl JH
    Sir Jacob of Lakeview-Jake
    Freeway JYD

Mike Whitworth