The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Potus vs. Main Page

What I found to be an enjoyable debate or conversion between 2 grown men turned into a pissing match like I see in the schoolyard at my son's grade school.
    "My dad's going to beat up your dad!"
    That's what turned me away.
    That goes for any debate/post/thread.
    Sue
    Never confuse activity with success.

"Ummmmmmm Isn't a word." Judge Judy

Quote Originally Posted by dback View Post
    I very much enjoyed Yardley even though you knew he was coming from the left field bull pen every time. You needed to have your ducks in a row to tango......
    Yes, you very much did.
    "So what is big is not always the Trout nor the Deer but the chance, the being there. And what is full is not necessarily the creel nor the freezer, but the memory." ~ Aldo Leopold

"The Greatest Obstacle to Discovery is not Ignorance -- It is the Illusion of Knowledge" ~ Daniel Boorstin

"A man convinced against his will, is of the same opinion still" describes most of us here. We have our minds made up on certain basic issues and can back up our positions with facts, but we expect to be challenged by those with differing opinions. I don't think you can say that about dog people in general though. They tend to think their method (or guru du jour) is the only way and get pissy if you challenge them.

I too miss Yardley; though I mostly disagreed with him, he did make you think and try to understand why some people hold the views they do. And I've always rather enjoyed the sometimes snide banter over here; I think this group is much less likely to go snivelling to the mods when they get their itty bitty feelings hurt. Haven't been posting much, but I do read regularly.
    Julie R., Hope Springs Farm
    Chesapeake Bay Retrievers since 1981

The funniest post I ever saw on POTUS was when Yardley called abother poster a "blow-hard."

There is an old axiom in sales, don't sell them with BLAH-BLAH-BLAH if you can sell them with blah.
    Mr. Yardley couldn't do blah..............
    Last edited by road kill; 10-16-2012 at 09:31 AM.
    Stan b & Elvis

I love you guys!!
    That's my boy "Blue"!!!! Flyin High in the Passenger Side x Katie May of Belgrade

I miss debating with Yardley as well. We visited awhile back via PM. He said he still reads POTUS but lacked the desire to engage that he once had. I'd like to think that we beat him down (but I know we didn't even come close).
    M&K's HR UH Tucker of Texoma JH
    M&K's SHR Prime Black Angus
    M&K's Miss Jessie Girl JH
    Sir Jacob of Lakeview-Jake
    Freeway JYD

Mike Whitworth

I can't understand why anyone would run to cry to a moderator. It's the internet and people with strong opinions, put your big boy or girls pants on and stand up for yourself. Same thing I tell my kids! I also don't understand why someone would send nasty pm's. WTH grow up! Most of the stuff that get thrown around here is not personal just strong opinions that sometimes gets down in the gutter. I think if anyone that posts here regularly, right or left leaning, was broke down somewhere and needed help not one person would turn them away if they where in their neck of the woods. I may be wrong but that's my opinion and by golly don't try to make me change it! LOL!

I think everyone tends to evolve over time in regards to there posting habits. While I would love to really get my opinion out there I neither have the time or desire to type out multiple paragraphs explaining something. There was a time I got sucked into some debates and got all fired up but now tend to read everything and respond to very little. What I have found that really works well is to type out what I really want to say to the person that has fired me up and then hit the back button. Probably what has kept me from being shown the door but I also think of The Janitor and his crew before I hit the post reply button. I don't want them to have to spend one minute of their time dealing with childish BS that goes on sometimes because of me. This is a dog forum where those that wish to can argue politics! How great is that? I know it has become an everyday, multiple times a day addiction for me. My name is Greg and I am addicted to a political forum on a dog forum! My wife finds this very amusing!
    CPR HRCH Scott's Sweet Brandy
    Kankakee River HRC
    NRA Life Member
    Pheasants Forever
    Delta Waterfowl

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Bora View Post
    Yes, you very much did.
    I actually like him (just not his views) and 'shorely' a Queen City dude is not making light of 'casual' sentence structure

Edit: BTW.....I was in your neck of the woods this summer......purdy darn purdy
    Last edited by dback; 10-16-2012 at 10:22 AM.
    "What a difference a week makes. This week I feel like a football coach. Last week I felt like Britney Spears' choreographer."
    Coach Bob Green, Montana Tech

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Bora View Post
    Interesting happenings over on the main page of the ol RTF.
    HPL noted that as a POTUS player, the exchange in the first of the two locked threads was kinda tame compaired to us over here. After reading the first of the two, I agree. Heck we do more worser to Menmon on a daily bases, twice on Sundays. And he still loves us every one! I am kinda puzzled. Even more as to the defenders of the self banned person captian jack vs. that "Happy" feller. Folk saying come down south or we have some southern hospitality for you or saying they would act the same if poked as capt was? I saw no poke. None! I did see name calling and death wishes by the capt.

Now we have lost a few over here as well. Yardley was great fun to debate, in my opinion. And gosh Murral was just becoming politicaly self awair. Buit over all it seems we can cuff the living snot out of each other over here and touch gloves after.

What gives with the main page? Poor debate skills? Thin Skin?
    What are your thoughts about the happenings on the main page, capt jack, and the locked threads.
    I dont want um unlocked or anyone made out to be a hero. Just wondered what you all over here thunk about it?
    I think that POTUS is often more than a bit too acrimonious, and name calling is a bit too common. I don't always enjoy the impression that ya'll must sometimes get of a poster hunched over the keyboard twitching and frothing at the mouth while pounding out some simple minded response to one of my erudite and on point comments, but that's just the internet and there are only a few on any forum that could actually hurt my feelings as one has have to have a real relationship with someone to get hurt. I have pretty much always said that the first one to call "stupid head" loses anyway, so sometimes it's interesting to see who goes under first.

Ken, I was glad to hear you change "death threat" to "death wish", (and I think even that might be a bit much). I can certainly see me saying "you think that food is so great, eat it yourself!" so I didn't really see that as a death wish, just a "friendly" suggestion. To some extent I judge words on whether I would be comfortable using them in front of my mother with her genteel southern sensibilities, so "jackoff" would usually be too crude for a "family" resource like RTF (or even POTUS), but jackass is fair game (and is actually one of my favorites having dealt with plenty while photographing the national donkey and mule show).

I did feel that Happy was grinding on Capt a bit once it became known that Capt had had an incident involving Diamond foods. I am pretty sensitive about my pups and still grieve over some that have been gone a long time, so might have been "fighting hot" and ready to go under similar circumstances. I think that once Capt's story became evident, Happy should have immediately backed down, and shut up. That would have been the decent thing to do.

I'm not a follower of Capt's or of Lardy, but many on the forum apparently feel that Capt made a real contribution to the site, so too bad he got chased off by another poster. Perhaps those of you who have benefited from his posts will eventually coax him back. I don't think he needs to come back in a sheepish manner nor do I think he has much (if anything) to apologize for.
    Last edited by HPL; 10-16-2012 at 11:30 AM.
    Any doctrine that weakens personal responsibility for judgment and for action helps create the attitudes that welcome and support the totalitarian state.
    (John Dewey)

Associate yourself with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for 'tis better to be alone than in bad company.
    (George Washington)

Gig'em Aggies!! BTCO'77HOO t.u.!!

www.HughLieck.photoshelter.com

Quote Originally Posted by duckheads View Post
    I can't understand why anyone would run to cry to a moderator. It's the internet and people with strong opinions, put your big boy or girls pants on and stand up for yourself. Same thing I tell my kids! I also don't understand why someone would send nasty pm's. WTH grow up! Most of the stuff that get thrown around here is not personal just strong opinions that sometimes gets down in the gutter. I think if anyone that posts here regularly, right or left leaning, was broke down somewhere and needed help not one person would turn them away if they where in their neck of the woods. I may be wrong but that's my opinion and by golly don't try to make me change it! LOL!

I think everyone tends to evolve over time in regards to there posting habits. While I would love to really get my opinion out there I neither have the time or desire to type out multiple paragraphs explaining something. There was a time I got sucked into some debates and got all fired up but now tend to read everything and respond to very little. What I have found that really works well is to type out what I really want to say to the person that has fired me up and then hit the back button. Probably what has kept me from being shown the door but I also think of The Janitor and his crew before I hit the post reply button. I don't want them to have to spend one minute of their time dealing with childish BS that goes on sometimes because of me. This is a dog forum where those that wish to can argue politics! How great is that? I know it has become an everyday, multiple times a day addiction for me. My name is Greg and I am addicted to a political forum on a dog forum! My wife finds this very amusing!
    1. Bingo!

2. Definitely not smart

3. Lets just say I wouldn't turn their DOGS away and leave it at that.

4. Never even consider that (sorry).
    Any doctrine that weakens personal responsibility for judgment and for action helps create the attitudes that welcome and support the totalitarian state.
    (John Dewey)

Associate yourself with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for 'tis better to be alone than in bad company.
    (George Washington)

Gig'em Aggies!! BTCO'77HOO t.u.!!

www.HughLieck.photoshelter.com